Turn on thread page Beta

'No scan, no flight' at Heathrow and Manchester! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    I am against the fact that your whole body image is being seen, and also the fact that people are selected; I mean, who are they going to select? Will that not raise anger amongst certain people?
    Seen by ab officer in a sealed space who neither sees you nor knows your name or any details and the images aren't saved or shared. Also if they are doing 100s of these a day they aren't going to even notice your private parts they will look at the image for anything suspicious then move onto the next person.

Selection:
    Passengers using Heathrow and Manchester airports have been told that from today they will not be allowed to board their flights if they refuse to submit to full-body scans.
    Makes it sound like everyone has to

ReputationRep:
    I am flying from Heathrow this month.
    I almost want to be scanned just so I can talk/complain about it afterwards. In the 'I-don't-actually-care-that-much-but-complaining-is-a-national-pass-time' kind of way.

ReputationRep:
    Ive read (sorry, lost source) that this whole thing wont even detect the likes of the panty bomber in detroit.

Dont you think these events are odd:

• Government suggests body scanners - public doesnt like it much
    • Detroit bomber foiled
    • Government says right we are having them now, no questions asked

There is SOME scientific evidence that the waves used in the machine could damage DNA strands.

Its all very vague though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have no problem with the scanner. A person in a sealed room sees a black and white ghosty image of me and might for a second or 2 see my man parts - don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamscybot)
    Ive read (sorry, lost source) that this whole thing wont even detect the likes of the panty bomber in detroit.

Dont you think these events are odd:

• Government suggests body scanners - public doesnt like it much
    • Detroit bomber foiled
    • Government says right we are having them now, no questions asked

There is SOME scientific evidence that the waves used in the machine could damage DNA strands.

Its all very vague though.
    the netherlands have had these machines for well over a year now, just waiting for an excuse to implement them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    the netherlands have had these machines for well over a year now, just waiting for an excuse to implement them
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    It's just outlines, it's not like they ask you to whip your **** out :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamscybot)
    Where? I would really like to read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    I think this is rediculous!
    I think you are rediculous. Just accept scanning and get over it.

ReputationRep:
    I may be about to lower the tone of this conversation but would they be able to tell if a woman had a tampon in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    http://www.naturalnews.com/027913_fu...nners_DNA.html

all you need to do is search "full body scanners damage dna" and youll get a huge list of sources.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, the person who sees the scans doesn't see your face, so you're effectively anonymous. Provided all is ok and you clear security, the image is deleted before your plane leaves. What is the worry about privacy?

ReputationRep:
    If you refused to be patted down after beeping in a metal detector surely it would be crazy if they let you on the plane? why is this news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    I think this was it:

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24331/

Body scanners use these so called terrahertz waves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    http://www.naturalnews.com/027913_fu...nners_DNA.html

all you need to do is search "full body scanners damage dna" and youll get a huge list of sources.
    Oh please! Even the daily mail, home of healthscares, doesn't claim this. (well their article doesn't - a few crazies did in the user comments)

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine with it. I don't see the fuss. Stop being picky, they can't see your tits.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who doesnt know me and I will never meet seeing my little penis > dying on a plane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    Oh please! Even the daily mail, home of healthscares, doesn't claim this. (well their article doesn't - a few crazies did in the user comments)
    Its a physics white paper.

I doubt the daily fail even knows about it lol.

(Original post by tom//)
    they cant even see powders, liquids or plastics. its pathetic, just another step towards no civil liberties as far as im concerned.
    :lolwut: so what's the point in using scanners if they can't detect this? People could easily carry these and then make explosives on the plane. :| :|

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised you'd even get on a plane in the first place OP. You're prepared to board a metal container with wings to fly hundreds of miles above the ground for hours...but you won't get a body scan because it's 'dangerous'... :lolwut:. *Blofeld voice* I see inconsistencies... :eyebrow:.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.