The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Once these are implemented the bombs will be passed over to the less suspicious-looking.

Rajiv Gandhi was murdered by a woman in 1991. There was a female suicide attack in Baghdad today.
Reply 141
Why do you care if someone is staring at you? I feel sorry for the person with that job... I don't see the big deal to be honest
Ewan
Why do you care if someone is staring at you? I feel sorry for the person with that job... I don't see the big deal to be honest

Me either. They're gonna see so many 'naked' people in a day, I doubt they will give a damn about you.
A few damaged cells/a bit of inconvenience or the loss of thousands of lives? Not difficult is it darling?
lazza
Unfortunatly because of a tiny number of nutters who believe we're all evil westerners who need slaughtered, this is what has to happen.

You mean evil Americans. Every single plane scare/attack has happened on flights to AMERICA. Bloody Osama sends messages about how Americans are the root of all evil, how they didn't sign the Kyoto protocol (yeah, he told that about a week ago in his message), how they will keep making terrorist attacks AS LONG AS the USA SUPPORTS ISRAEL. Why isn't the body scanner installed only on flights to the USA? I doubt that Osama'll bomb a plane going from Manchester to Frankfurt, there are no Americans to kill. :wink: I'm just glad that most of the other Europeans aren't installing scanners.
How is it for our safety?
It's just more ways for the government to keep us under control and living in fear. Terrorists won't risk bringing bombs onto planes, and even if they did they're more than capable of detonating in the security line queue, where there's more people than on the plane at busy periods.
What I find amusing is you can't take water through for "obvious" security risks, yet you can take a lighter through, a bunch of newspapers and you can buy some spirits in the duty free section. What's to stop anyone from going to the toilet, dousing the paper with alcohol and setting fire to it? Sure it wont be as big a problem but it's still a problem and could fill the cabin with smoke pretty quickly.

As I said. It's just government control to keep us living in fear.

Terrorism, terrorism, terrorism, terrorist, Al Qaeda, Osama Bin Laden, terrorist, bombs, 9/11, weapons on mass destruction, terrorist, terrorism, swine flu, 7/7, WMDs, bombs, Iraq, Iran, Yemen, terrorist, terrorism.

**** off mainstream media supported by big corporations who control the government. I am a human being and you will not control me.
Reply 146
orionmoo
It's just more ways for the government to keep us under control and living in fear. Terrorists won't risk bringing bombs onto planes, and even if they did they're more than capable of detonating in the security line queue, where there's more people than on the plane at busy periods.
What I find amusing is you can't take water through for "obvious" security risks, yet you can take a lighter through, a bunch of newspapers and you can buy some spirits in the duty free section. What's to stop anyone from going to the toilet, dousing the paper with alcohol and setting fire to it? Sure it wont be as big a problem but it's still a problem and could fill the cabin with smoke pretty quickly.

Terrorism, terrorism, terrorism, terrorist, Al Qaeda, Osama Bin Laden, terrorist, bombs, 9/11, weapons on mass destruction, terrorist, terrorism, swine flu, 7/7, WMDs, bombs, Iraq, Iran, Yemen, terrorist, terrorism.

**** off mainstream media supported by big corporations who control the government. I am a human being and you will not control me.

Lol, I was about to write something like this out... But I thought it would be waaaay to long and I'm just lazy. :wink: Thanks for doing it for me instead :thumbsup:
stfu and stop whinging OP. I'm fine with it. I'll only have a problem though is if I go to Heathrow airport and only see Muslims being queued up for a full body scan.
flugestuge
Then dont fly.
Take the train or walk.

Blame the Islamics for this.

:lolwut:
Reply 149
I'm not comfortable with it at all..

..but then I'd be even less comfortable with my flight blowing up in the pacific. swings and roundabouts really.
Reply 150
orionmoo

Don't be so obsurd.

Firstly its not being spearheaded by the government, mostly by the airport operators (BAA in this instance)

How is stripping people keeping people in control. It stops not only terrorsts but drug smuggling etc. To say that terrorists won't risk bringing bombs onto planes is just either ignorant or naive; take your pick.

Yes a fire could cause problems but it's not going to down a plane in little peices straight away is it? they could start a fire to many things but liquids arent alowed from external sources because they *may be explosive*

And you're going to do far less damage in a security lounge, a plane exploding may kill 100+ who are in a confined space straight off, and then hundreds as the debris smashes through people's bedroom roofs.

Furthermore, what are they supposed to do more than they are at the mo to reduce that risk - scan people as they enter the buildings? a tad impractical no?

Utterly rediculous.
orionmoo

Have you been watching cveitch? Everything is okay...
Reply 152
jaw

And you're going to do far less damage in a security lounge, a plane exploding may kill 100+ who are in a confined space straight off, and then hundreds as the debris smashes through people's bedroom roofs.

Terrorism is not about bodycount. It's about scaring people.
If they blow up something somewhere or if they shoot at people in the street, EVEN WITHOUT KILLING ANYBODY they would reach their goal.

jaw

Furthermore, what are they supposed to do more than they are at the mo to reduce that risk - scan people as they enter the buildings? a tad impractical no?

Yes, they can't stop people blowing things up or shooting around (at least in countries where guns are readily available).

So, if nobody ever does, I can only reach one simply conclusion:

Terrorism does not exist in the western world. Nobody wants to blow you up, ok? Doesn't it make you feel better?

Of course you might look at 7/7 and think that perhaps it existed in that particular day in 2005.

But people in this thread are talking like we had an X number of terrorists ready to strike, and with bombs already made up, just waiting for a good chance to bring them into a plane.
Then explain me why don't they blow up a random place right now.
Reply 153
Itchynscratchy

No they didn't, an independent person will measure the radiation output they don't just read the manual and assume it's true. an independent person does an experiment to check

I really hope you're right. It would make me feel better to travel safely, than to win an argument on TSR.
Are you able to provide a source for this claim?
Reply 154
algérie_mon_amour
I'm sure having your whole body penetrated through with such strong rays

erm... your body isn't penetrated; the rays are stopped by your skin

I support the right of the aircraft company and the airports to impose whatever security restrictions they wish on the airline passengers. If they're not going to let you fly without a full body scan, then so be it.

However, I object to the State imposing regulations on private airports and aircraft companies on who they may and may not permit to fly. Especially when those regulations entail the purchase of an expensive and ineffective body scanners:
The scanner caught a subject's cell phone and Swiss Army knife -- and the microphone he was wearing -- but missed all the components to make a bomb that he hid on his body.
Reply 155
Yes, funny thing is that in all the example pics of people being scanned we see a huge handgun.
That wouldn't pass normal security checks anyway. Heck, we could even remove the metal detector, a gun is not easily concealed in the clothes, so just the "taking the coat off" rule would be enough to spot gun carriers.
Reply 156
Frieza
Terrorism is not about bodycount. It's about scaring people.
If they blow up something somewhere or if they shoot at people in the street, EVEN WITHOUT KILLING ANYBODY they would reach their goal.

Yes, they can't stop people blowing things up or shooting around (at least in countries where guns are readily available).

So, if nobody ever does, I can only reach one simply conclusion:

Terrorism does not exist in the western world. Nobody wants to blow you up, ok? Doesn't it make you feel better?

Of course you might look at 7/7 and think that perhaps it existed in that particular day in 2005.

But people in this thread are talking like we had an X number of terrorists ready to strike, and with bombs already made up, just waiting for a good chance to bring them into a plane.
Then explain me why don't they blow up a random place right now.

Right. so lets leave it wide open for them to blow up planes because we'd be scared either way?

don't be rediculous. Terrorists will attack whatever, the more people killed the better.

They can blow up a plane randomly and they do try. the potential repercussions (sp) for blowing up a plane is far more vast than most other areas, hence the heightened security.

no they're not but the fact is terrorist acts can and do happen at random, so why not take every precaution to stop them. I don't quite get your point here.

REGARDLESS of how likely it is, weather a terrorist has intentions to do it, weather it's happened before or not, if an advance in technology has meant that it is virtually impossible to smuggle items on a plane on your person and erradicate the chance, I don't think that there is a good enough reason not to use it in areas where it can be used.

next, a guy smuggles the ingredients strapped to his chest, kills some people wherever and it's all 'why werent body scanners used'.
OK. I like to think that people are deliberately spelling it incorrectly to be ironic or something, but just to clarify:

RIDICULOUS
I've forgotten fluids countless times in my hand luggage and they've never found it. What's the point of body scanners if they can't even see a ketchup in my bag? True story.
Frieza
Yes, funny thing is that in all the example pics of people being scanned we see a huge handgun.
That wouldn't pass normal security checks anyway. Heck, we could even remove the metal detector, a gun is not easily concealed in the clothes, so just the "taking the coat off" rule would be enough to spot gun carriers.

Latest

Trending

Trending