Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, first post here

I am looking for advice on whether to take GCSE resits. In 2009 I got 2 A's, 8 B's and 4 C's. Whilst this is still an above average (but not exceptional) GCSE performance, I feel I could have done a lot better had my circumstances been better. I went to a bad school, my GCSE targets were only C's and for year 7, 8 and 9 I was placed in fairly low sets full of disruptive students where we got nothing done, this was combined with that because of the set quality we weren't actually taught to achieve high targets obviously.

By the time y10 and 11 came round, I had managed to progress into higher sets, though for a while I was still "behind" to the higher achievers (because of different teaching standards in y7, 8 and 9). I studied hard though, and as stated managed to achieve the results above (well above what was expected me).

Following this I progressed into a very good Sixth form, where I currently study A-levels in History, English, Politics and Law, during this time I have gained a taste in academic studying and personal research, (something I never done at school). Strangely enough despite being at a higher level, I am performing better at A-level than GCSE, although I haven't sat any proper exams yet I seem to be heading towards A's in Law, History and Politics, (though only ranked C at English). I have became use to a higher standard of work though, learnt a great deal more and became use to an academic style of life. Although looking harder at the time, I now look back and see how easy GCSE's actually are, and I feel that despite unlucky circumstances in early secondary school I could have done a great deal better...

Although my current results will not be a problem in finding a reasonable job, I have fears they will hold me back from getting into a very good university should I keep up my current AS- level performances. I am thinking of doing Politics or History, at Newcastle or Durham, and if they reject me on the basis of GCSE's, I was thinking of taking a gap year and doing them again rather than going to one of the lower standard universities of my local area (Northumbria or Sunderland).

The ones I am thinking of doing again are English Language and English Literature (unlucky not to get A in both), R.E (90% in second paper, but only 60% in first kept me down from getting an A), Biology (had a bad day on the exam, but other modules ensured B), and Maths (only scraped a C on the foundation! :eek:), History and Geography (shift from A to A*).

Help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    get very good unit grades at Alevel and a good set of extra curricular activities for your personal statement and you will heva a very good chance at duham and newcastle uni. thoes unis are more interseted in the person than their academics.
    from my knowlege of the two unis they do not care that much about GCSEs as long as you get above a C in them all.

also i got into durham (however it was for science based course) with no As at gcse. so this goes to show you are not at a disadvantage.

also retaking that many GCSEs makes you look incosistant. retaking one or two would be fine if you really 'needed' to (eg if you got Ds) but retaking that many is un-nessesary.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you, I'd maybe just do English and/or Maths tbh.

ReputationRep:
    No point.
    Just get good A level grades.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.