Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

originally was planning on applying for PPE however got a few too many rejections lol, so im now planning to study physics, was wondering what the likelyhood of getting a decent place is through ucas extra, any advise would be helpful,

my subjects are:

maths (a)
    physics (a)
    chemistry (a)
    economics (a)

and a (c) in critical thinking at as but dropped it now lol

also would it be worth taking further maths in my spare time if i take a gap year next year?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    gap year, you've got too good grades to go into extra.

ReputationRep:
    Both?

Try extra to see what you can get, if you're unhappy with it then re-apply.

You don't lose anything by trying extra.

ReputationRep:
    You have good grades, take a gap year and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    thanks im trying to gauge whether theres anything good in extra or whether its only the lower ranked uni's that do it, because i know physics isnt very subscribed o well spose ill find out end of the month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melvin123)
    thanks im trying to gauge whether theres anything good in extra or whether its only the lower ranked uni's that do it, because i know physics isnt very subscribed o well spose ill find out end of the month
    Yeah, take a look at the lists when they come out and see what's there. If there's something you fancy then go for it! You haven't lost anything and if not then you are no worse off and can just apply again next year. I would say however that you need to do physics for the right reasons and not because it's easier (I don't know if that's the case, I'm just warning you as you've changed your mind). Having done physics myself, it is not an enjoyable course if you are not motivated to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Physics could by no means be described as a competitive course, even at many top universities, so there are likely to be vacancies available for strong candidates through UCAS Extra. You'll need to explain the change of mind though. Further maths would be beneficial if you don't get a place this year.

Physics could also never be described as an easy course, so make sure you really want to study it.

ReputationRep:
    thanks and tbh i was expecting someone to mention the change in course, but ye i know it sounds like i havnt considered it properly but i was having doubts about ppe before i got rejections, and only really applied for it so i can get rich lol, spose i could settle for being like sheldon lol

but im pleased to hear that it isnt as competitive as ppe

F1 fanatic what uni did you go for physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melvin123)
    thanks and tbh i was expecting someone to mention the change in course, but ye i know it sounds like i havnt considered it properly but i was having doubts about ppe before i got rejections, and only really applied for it so i can get rich lol, spose i could settle for being like sheldon lol

but im pleased to hear that it isnt as competitive as ppe

F1 fanatic what uni did you go for physics?
    I was at oxford, graduated in 2008. And fair enough. Further Maths is definitely worth it either in the summer or in a gap year to be honest. I taught myself a little too and it was a huge help as although they teach you further maths they progress through it very quickly at uni.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.