Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My old maths teacher has emailed me to say that there is a girl at my old school who would like private tutoring (I asked him to let me know if anything came up.) Now he's given me details and the mum's number.

Basically, before I ring up, he hasn't mentioned anything about how much I should charge etc,

I'm doing my A2's having done AS's in maths, fm, physics and french, getting AAAB and an A* in GCSE maths. However I've never officially done tutoring before, just helping friends out of class for example.

So how much should I charge? What should I do in prep? (he's kindly sent me a syllabus)

If I could have some answers soon that'd be great as her mum wants me to start right away :P

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Don't charge anything. If you want to help the girl, you won't feel the need to. Education shouldn't be for sale.

ReputationRep:
    i'd personally charge something like £15 an hour. (if you were a proper tutor it would be more like £30 an hour)

although i've only ever helped friends out for free in the past

ReputationRep:
    most tutor charge around £20 to £25 for gcse maths. considering you are still a student, i say £15 or a little less an hour is a fair price.

ReputationRep:
    I charge £20 for IB/ A level economics but don't include preparation time, so I would either charge £15 and then charge for preparation or £20 and don't charge for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    most tutor charge around £20 to £25 for gcse maths. considering you are still a student, i say £15 or a little less an hour is a fair price.
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i'd personally charge something like £15 an hour. (if you were a proper tutor it would be more like £30 an hour)

although i've only ever helped friends out for free in the past
    Thanks guys. What about preparation and stuff. Like should I set them homework? :P First session just getting to know what they can and can't do?

ReputationRep:
    Considering a tutor with years of experience is £30, I'd charge about £15 ish.
    But you'll need to make a schedule weekly or whatever to make sure you cover everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    My old maths teacher has emailed me to say that there is a girl at my old school who would like private tutoring (I asked him to let me know if anything came up.) Now he's given me details and the mum's number.

Basically, before I ring up, he hasn't mentioned anything about how much I should charge etc,

I'm doing my A2's having done AS's in maths, fm, physics and french, getting AAAB and an A* in GCSE maths. However I've never officially done tutoring before, just helping friends out of class for example.

So how much should I charge? What should I do in prep? (he's kindly sent me a syllabus)

If I could have some answers soon that'd be great as her mum wants me to start right away :P

Thanks a lot!
    I'm in my A2 and I've helped a lot of my friends with Maths. They are in both year 12 and GCSE level. I never asked for money because I actually enjoy teaching other people, however, they/their parents still pay me about 10 quids/hour. It's low I guess, but it doesn't mind me at all.

My suggestion is waiting to see how much they give you, I guess they will know to do the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    right, look at their syllabus. Try and find a past paper for the exmas they are working for. Set homework only if you hink it will help them understand. I'd also take an exercise book for her, so you have some to write. Would be good if you had a book with questions.
    past papers
    exercise book to work in
    course books (she should already have some)
    if you could find any other resources, that will make the lesson easier for you. such as revision notes, ect.

ReputationRep:
    My Chemistry tutor charges £32 an hour, but he is very good. Yeah £15 seems fair, depending how good you can tutor people :P:

First session is just to see what they know, what they struggle on and pretty much what level they are at.

Homework is a good idea. Makes them prepare for your lessons, therefore revising as well.

One other thing that my tutor gets me to do thats really helpful is to highlight what i know in the spec. You can look and see what areas they are weakest at and start there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm home educated however have a maths tutor as i'm doing maths alevel early! my maths tutor is absolutely brilliant and charge £21 per hour ! this is a teacher who has all the university maths things ( i'm not exactly sure of the titles he got but i know he has been to several 'good' unis! :P) hes also taught for years !

i personally would charge £10 especially if you only have an alevel in maths ! i suppose however you should go on what other tutors in your area are charging !

ReputationRep:
    From experience, the first lesson should be free.
    You should use it to get to know a little bit more about each other and find out what the person finds difficult, what exam boards their doing and what paper (higher,foundation etc). Then start teaching basically.

For the homework bit its up to you, but i would personally set some as it seems more professional to parents (Like you know what your doing) a sheet with a couple of questions to complete would do the trick !
    As for how much to charge i would say between £15 to £20.
    Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    Your an A-level student, and I'm assuming this pupil wants tuition for GCSE.

My advice is for you to tell the mum for the child to come over for one lesson and assess his ability for half a lesson then go on to demonstrate your method of teaching for next 30/45mins.

Because you are still so inexperienced, I suggest you do this for free. This is only because it's a bit unreasonable to expect money when this is basically your testing ground.

If the child/parent is happy, then you should charge £15/hr. This will then give you a good reputation and the parents will recommend you to other people. After about 2yrs, you can then increase the rate to £20.

That's basically what I did a couple years ago, but I normally ran over 10/15mins (it shows your dedication to give quality education). But be careful, tutoring can be a lot harder than anticipated, especially if you don't plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UndercoverChemist)
    My Chemistry tutor charges £32 an hour, but he is very good. Yeah £15 seems fair, depending how good you can tutor people :P:

First session is just to see what they know, what they struggle on and pretty much what level they are at.

Homework is a good idea. Makes them prepare for your lessons, therefore revising as well.

One other thing that my tutor gets me to do thats really helpful is to highlight what i know in the spec. You can look and see what areas they are weakest at and start there.
    (Original post by hamster33)
    right, look at their syllabus. Try and find a past paper for the exmas they are working for. Set homework only if you hink it will help them understand. I'd also take an exercise book for her, so you have some to write. Would be good if you had a book with questions.
    past papers
    exercise book to work in
    course books (she should already have some)
    if you could find any other resources, that will make the lesson easier for you. such as revision notes, ect.
    Thanks a lot both of you. I'm going through some specimen paper now (it's weird I've forgotten stuff like congruency and that lot you don't do at A level) and I'll print of the spec tomorrow.

My teacher has suggested doing Area, Volume and Pythagoras. Volume o.O At least the formulae are given :P

Okay, £15 it is. I'm outer london so seems fair. Unless they live in the sticks, then they can come to me. Mwhaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Thanks guys. What about preparation and stuff. Like should I set them homework? :P First session just getting to know what they can and can't do?
    well identify where the weak points are. make sure you explain it, and make sure she full fully understands how to do it.

and then yeh set homework, with questions at varying levels.

ReputationRep:
    I carry out an initial assessment for each students, so you can see their level. Thats thet best was to start the first lesson.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.