Turn on thread page Beta

Uni prefers International Student ??? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think so cos they pay 7~9 grand a year.

What do you think ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)

What do you think ?
    we pay more.....like 12.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    we pay more.....like 12.....
    u must be doin' like medicine

ReputationRep:

What do you think ?

i dont think that is disputed...

also, unis want to have a wide variaty of people and what better vatiaty than international and national students mixed together.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    i dont think that is disputed...

also, unis want to have a wide variaty of people and what better vatiaty than international and national students mixed together.

love Katy ***
    I know someone international whos graduating this year from LSE she got DDD for her offer.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone international whos graduating this year from LSE she got DDD for her offer.
    I think LSE favours international students, in my school in Hong Kong getting into LSE is very common, of course you have to be above-average needless to say.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think that they're preferred cos they pay more, cos the uni aren't getting any extra money. Sure the international students are paying a lot more than UK students..but that's only because the UK government aren't paying the rest of it that all UK students are entitled to....the fee code we enter on the UCAS form indicates whether or not the government pay most of our fees for us.

G

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that is HIGHLY unusual, even their lowest offers according to most stat tables is ABB for international relations I think.

Unis will probably be taking on more international students in the next few years unless the govt can push through the £3000 fees as they;re becoming strapped for cash. Dillema, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I dont think that they're preferred cos they pay more, cos the uni aren't getting any extra money. Sure the international students are paying a lot more than UK students..but that's only because the UK government aren't paying the rest of it that all UK students are entitled to....the fee code we enter on the UCAS form indicates whether or not the government pay most of our fees for us.

G
    well... My family all moved in and i ve been here for only 2 years.
    That's why I am paying that much. However on Ucas form I did write that thing.. um... you know LEA thing.

Does it mean I still get support from my county ?

ReputationRep:
    well... My family all moved in and i ve been here for only 2 years.
    That's why I am paying that much. However on Ucas form I did write that thing.. um... you know LEA thing.

Does it mean I still get support from my county ?
    I'm not entirely sure...on mine i entered "02 LEA", which i think means i'm entitled to government support. My friend moved here from Korea about 2 years ago as well...and he has to pay the full uni fees too.

G

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure...on mine i entered "02 LEA", which i think means i'm entitled to government support. My friend moved here from Korea about 2 years ago as well...and he has to pay the full uni fees too.

G
    Who the hell are you?? cos I am Korean and I ve been here for 2 years..............

ReputationRep:
    Yes DEFINATELY

Evidence: My friend applied for Durham Law as an international student. Her offer was IB 30 points. Another friend applied for Durham Law as resident of UK. Her offer was IB 38...,

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell are you?? cos I am Korean and I ve been here for 2 years..............
    Unless your name's Ed, then i dont think its you...or is it???

G

ReputationRep:
    Unless your name's Ed, then i dont think its you...or is it???

G
    no.

ReputationRep:
    no.
    Lol! Thought not!

Unis might prefer international applicants....but not because of fees they pay. I would've thought that the reason offers to international students are lower is because there's less competition for places from international students...can anyone confirm????

G

ReputationRep:
    Lol! Thought not!

Unis might prefer international applicants....but not because of fees they pay. I would've thought that the reason offers to international students are lower is because there's less competition for places from international students...can anyone confirm????

G
    What do u mean.

I still go to comprehensive school and doing A-levels

ReputationRep:
    What do u mean.

I still go to comprehensive school and doing A-levels
    Yeh...but aren't there people applying from other countries too?? That might have something to do with it..not entirely sure...i dont know loads about international students...

G

ReputationRep:
    Only students from outside the EU pay the extra fees though....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Yes DEFINATELY

Evidence: My friend applied for Durham Law as an international student. Her offer was IB 30 points. Another friend applied for Durham Law as resident of UK. Her offer was IB 38...,
    Hello, really interesting what you are saying! I applied to Durham to read Law last year as well, and I got a 32 IB point offer, whereas all my other friends were rejected! This year I am no longer an international student because poland is entering the EU, and I applied to Durham again and they rejected me although I actually got 44 IB Points!!!
    Isn't that weird?

ReputationRep:
    I think that universities have quotas on the numbers of international students they are allowed on a course - it's something like 10% of the total, so don't worry about your application being dropped in favour of a full-fee-paying international student. As for why the offers are lower, I'm not so sure... :confused:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.