Turn on thread page Beta

Uni prefers International Student ??? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomek J.)
    Hello, really interesting what you are saying! I applied to Durham to read Law last year as well, and I got a 32 IB point offer, whereas all my other friends were rejected! This year I am no longer an international student because poland is entering the EU, and I applied to Durham again and they rejected me although I actually got 44 IB Points!!!
    Isn't that weird?
    You got 44 IB points?!?!!? That's is VERY impressive....WOW. *looks in awe*

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot, I DID work my ass off though; and if Cambridge doesn't take me this year ( I am reapplying), I'll be really disappointed because obviously I don't need 44 points to go to UCL!!!

ReputationRep:
    The universities don't get any more money for international students. The extra costs international students have to pay goes to the government for social security. It pays for things like NHS etc. Also the £1100 normal fee for home students is also heavily subsidised, universities recieve £1000's for each student they have.

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot, I DID work my ass off though; and if Cambridge doesn't take me this year ( I am reapplying), I'll be really disappointed because obviously I don't need 44 points to go to UCL!!!
    Wow if you don't get in you have a right to complain, lol! I'm sure you'll get in and i'll have my fingers crossed for ya!

Marysienka <---my Polish name, heehee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Wow if you don't get in you have a right to complain, lol! I'm sure you'll get in and i'll have my fingers crossed for ya!

Marysienka <---my Polish name, heehee.
    btw all IB candidates how many IB points are equivalent to GCE straight As do you reckon??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    btw all IB candidates how many IB points are equivalent to GCE straight As do you reckon??
    Hmmm.... I think getting three A's @ A-level is like getting a 36-38 @ IB. Getting 5 As more like 40. More than that like 45.... I dunno.....wild guesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    I know someone international whos graduating this year from LSE she got DDD for her offer.
    That's bollox Lets just think about this yeah? The claim here would be that LSE couldn't attract another foreign student with higher than DDD? That's hilarious! Many of the foreign students are amongst the best there, I've not met a single LSE student with less than at least a very good IB score that at LEAST meets the suggested offer on the prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    44 points of whatever the hell you have means NOTHING. All it proves you are good at hammerin dead easy examinations. There are many many people at UCL and elsewhere that have excellent grades. Don't take it as meaning you're too good for the place, infact I know of many straight A students that scrap 2:2's and even 3rd's.

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose you are doing the IB, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be talking about "dead easy" examinations! Those exams are freakin' hard, and you have to do 7 subjects plus extended essay plus 150 mandatory extra-curricular activity hours!!
    Apart from that, I don't think I am too good for UCL, it's just that I don't need 44 points to get in there, 38 would have been enough and obviosuly I didn't work that hard to go somewhere I could have gone too with half the work!

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot, marysienka!
    my letter will arrive on the 3rd of Jan,. so I will let you know! Good luck to you as well.
    tomek

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose you are doing the IB, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be talking about "dead easy" examinations! Those exams are freakin' hard, and you have to do 7 subjects plus extended essay plus 150 mandatory extra-curricular activity hours!!
    Apart from that, I don't think I am too good for UCL, it's just that I don't need 44 points to get in there, 38 would have been enough and obviosuly I didn't work that hard to go somewhere I could have gone too with half the work!

They're pre university exams, nothing more. MANY people exceed the entrance requirements at any of the highly rated universities.

ReputationRep:
    whatever...I wish you good luck in your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    They're pre university exams, nothing more. MANY people exceed the entrance requirements at any of the highly rated universities.
    May I ask what exams you are taking? Not many ppl exceed 43 line in IB, and the highest you can get is 45. Tomek got 44, which is very very impressive and i'm sure he spent a lot of sleepless nights studying. I'm an IB student too and it's so demanding eg. aftter summer holiday I handed in 80 pages of English, 10 pages of history, my extended essay (4,000 words), and a 4 page geography essay. Remember I also had to do tons of reading to write those essays too. Universties also aknowledge the heavy workload, so Tomek has a great chance. You must be very tenacious and smart to get what he did.

True, many ppl do exceed the entrance requirements, I will not argue with that. But couldn't you at least show support? He has a great chance. Oxbridge requirements are usually 40-41. The ppl who I know have gotten in usually get exactly 40-41, not 44-45.

Tomek tell me about Cambridge when u get the letter .

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what exams you are taking? Not many ppl exceed 43 line in IB, and the highest you can get is 45. Tomek got 44, which is very very impressive and i'm sure he spent a lot of sleepless nights studying. I'm an IB student too and it's so demanding eg. aftter summer holiday I handed in 80 pages of English, 10 pages of history, my extended essay (4,000 words), and a 4 page geography essay. Remember I also had to do tons of reading to write those essays too. Universties also aknowledge the heavy workload, so Tomek has a great chance. You must be very tenacious and smart to get what he did.

True, many ppl do exceed the entrance requirements, I will not argue with that. But couldn't you at least show support? He has a great chance. Oxbridge requirements are usually 40-41. The ppl who I know have gotten in usually get exactly 40-41, not 44-45.

Agree. I am also an IB victim, not to mention getting 44, getting 40 is really impressive and people will look at you like "wow" here... and 44-45 is almost an impossible score. Think about it, in A-levels you can freely choose your subjects on a specific area you are strong in, whereas IB you have to be extremely well rounded, to get above 40 you have to be good at languages, social sciences, sciences... etc... it is tons of workload... also you have to be able to think not just gobble books up! It is extremely hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! Tomek you do have a good chance I gurantee you!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your support!!!!!! I am really happy I have finsihed the IB, it was a big thing for me but don`'t think I am a genius because I am not! There were at least 3 people in my school whom I consider to be more intelligent than me, but the ultimate key to success is hard, hard work and some luck. Also, practice a lot with past exam papers, make revision plans, draw diagrams and hang them on your walls (especially helps with biology), use revision guides but also other sources, and be sure to know the whole subject syllabus, because if you do, nothing unexpected can come up! Plus, be always specific and show your knowledge! ---contact me if you need help or some other tipps, I have loads of them in store!

My course:
    I did 4 Higher Levels; German A1 (although I am Polish I was brought up in Germany), English A2, History, Business&Management. I know 4 Higher Levels sounds crazy, but it wasn't that bad and i couldn't drop any of them in the end due to some teachers and the course material
    Standard Level: Biology and Maths Studies (!!!! I hate maths, I know Studies shoudl be dead easy but I am really stupid and maths and I got a 6 so thats the reason I didn't get 45!)

I really hope I get into Cambridge this time, I am really nervous about it right now because although UCL isn't bad, I have to admit that I only worked so hard for my IB because I wanted to reapply to cam and get some impressive grades, so UCL will be kind of a disappointment for me. I will definitely tell you whether I got in or not, I will get the letter on the 5 th of June (I asked the Admissions Office), so you will definitely know by then! Have a merry Christmas, good luck with your own applications and good luck with your IB (it will be over sooner than you think!!)
    All the best, Tomek

ReputationRep:

You've got me wrong, I wasn't trying to put him down, I wish him or anyone else the best of luck in their application. It's just when you get on a bit in life, you realise that pre university exams in particular are not a particularly good indication of ability. There are several reasons why people with exceptional grades are rejected, one of these reasons people on this newsgroup often pick up on, that is the person may not have what the admissions people believe to be a 'rounded personality'. The other reason is simply that the person could just be useless and only good at hammerin' out (relatively) easy examinations. I'm not suggesting this is the case with anyone in particular, it's just that's what admissions people are looking out for. My flat mate last year was a good example, 7 A levels, 6 A's and only juuust managed a 2:2 from Imperial after 3 years of hard work. Again, I don't know which category you or anyone else fall into and nor am I implying that I do. Of course someone with impressive grades has a good chance of entry, but really after you have say...3/4 A's at A level, universities stop giving a damn about your A level/pre university grades and concentrate on other matters. Someone having 5/6/7 A level's (or exceptional IB performance)sounds impressive at age 17/18, but not after you've spent a few years at university, as then you know it doesn't really prove all that much.

Anyway, once again, best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are definitely right in saying that the IB becomes quite unimportant after a few years, and I think so too. I only worked hard to get into a good university, so when that doesn't work and I go to a worse place than I originally wanted to go to, then obviously I won't think that the IB was any good for me.
    Also, you are right in saying that grades aren't everything and don't show that you are all-rounded, although with the IB that's different because you really have to be allrounded to get it; that's because you need to do sciences, languages, humanities, maths, AND extra-curricular activities. Nevertheless I do know people who had 45 points predicted and didn't get into Cambridge because they said that these people weren't really into their subjects; so I guess it always depends on the person.
    Merry Christmas to you all!! HO, HO, HO, !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    OK I'm afraid there is a lot of crap being repeated in this thread so as someone who works at a university and understand how teaching funding works I'll try to straighten this out.

Firstly to the thread starter who has only been here for 2 yrs - if you take a gap year and apply to start uni in 2005 (and have therefore been in the UK for 3 yrs on Sept 2005) you will not have to pay international level tuition fees - you will be the equivalent of a home student and might be eligable for some of your fees to be paid by your LEA.

Home students attract a base funding of just under £3000 pa *including* the £1000 currently paid for in advance by either the student or their LEA. Humanities/classroom based subjects get this fuinding weighted *1, part lab subjects (like languages and arts) get this weighted *1.5, science and engineering subjects get it weighted *2 and clinical med students (those in their 4th and 5th yr) get it weighted *4.5. So depending on your subject your university will recieve between £3000pa and £6000pa (INCLUDING your own contribution).

Money from international students is kept by universities - it doesn't go into the NHS :confused: or anything else - it goes straight into the universities bank account. When the admin in getting hold of the money from the government for Home students is taken into account (and the fact that international students stay in money making halls of residence for their entire course) one International fee payer is the equivalent in money terms to 8 Home students.

There are *NO* quotas for international students....apart from on certain courses (specifically Medicine, Nursing and medical related (physio, nutrition etc) courses).

I think that straighens out all the inaccurate statements made so far - any questions let me know (I'll be back after christmas).

So Uni prefers International Student . right ?

ReputationRep:

I think you should ask Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, except Oxbridge who aren't linient even when your an international student.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.