The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Sambo2
well you follow those unconscious lumps right through their care, before and after so that is the poeple aspect. Am I not right in thinking dentists have pre-registration years after graduating the same as doctors do?

Yep we do. Currently we have 1 year of "Vocational training" which basically means you work as a normal dentist but you're supposed to be supervised by a dentist in the practice. In reality no one ever does supervise you though, they just make sure you have easy cases to start off with.
Reply 61
Phalanges
No, most people go into medicine (or at least should) because they have a genuine interest in the course. Simply liking people, while a wonderful reason for a humanitarian or sales job, is not enough for a medical degree.

If I turned around and said "I don't get dentists. Surely the reason most people go into dentistry is because they want to help people. So why do the majority end up in private practices?" you would rightfully disregard me as a tool.

:yep: Got it bang on
The freedom you get working in a NHS practice isnt the same as a private surgery - and theres only a limited amount of cosmetic dentistry you can do in NHS whereas in private its mostly cosmetic and for me thats what I'd enjoy the most
Reply 62
I still think it should be a normal surgical speciality.. it's pretty odd that it somehow got separated..
Reply 63
same, im sure that in many other countries e.g. china, it still belongs to medicine:o:
Sambo2
I still think it should be a normal surgical speciality.. it's pretty odd that it somehow got separated..

It turns out that way back in ancient times, dentistry was a profession in it's own right. However, during the middle ages it got fused into medicine and was undertaken by general physicians and barbers. Then it branched out again between 1650 and 1800.

Wikipedia rules.
Reply 65
fyvgubh;'
Reply 66
T-Reks
Thanks...errm im sorry for the rejections you got, but can i ask a hypothetical question?....'what happens IF you get rejected by all Unis?'...

I take a gap year and try again
Sarah182
On my work experience/volunteering I remember at least 6 F1/F2s telling me they wished they'd done dentistry instead :p:

I had this too. Especially from those working in A&E. As well as the:

"So you want to do medicine?"
"Yes"
"Why?" *look of disgust*

and

"Don't. Go and work in the city and earn lots of money".

But at the same time they tended to admit later that they couldn't ever see themselves doing something different.
Reply 68
[igbhjk;o
Reply 69
T-Reks
****!...a gap year!...im think 6 years of univeristy is bad enough!....ps good luck!

*5 years

and lots of people take gap years.
Reply 70
jbn;klm
I'm not doing medicine atm, but I don't think I would ever be interested in doing dentistry - too boring imo. :smile:
T-Reks
5?....some unis state 6? :confused:

Yeah, it depends on the uni... If I remember correctly UCL med course was 6 years (09 entry)
Reply 73
ive applied for a transfer to dent....cant wait to get out of this ********
Reply 74
T-Reks
5?....some unis state 6? :confused:

only st andrews, oxbridge, imperial, ucl that I'm aware of anyway... and no one in their right minds is going to apply to four from that list.
Reply 75
fvk gnuhjniuljk
Reply 76
T-Reks
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.....and there was me thinking of applying to cambridge/oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Queen Mary!....better change 1 or 2 shouldnt i?

Well it's a massive risk because 3 of them are BMAT universities and you don't know how you're going to do on the BMAT. I've not done it (for a reason!) but it's supposed to be pretty challenging. Basically if you mess up the BMAT then you've thrown away three of your applications. So yeah I'd recommend changing one of them for a UKCAT university instead, less risk, you'll know your UKCAT score before you apply :smile:
If you have 8+ A*s I'd consider B'ham, seems that most people with 8A*s will get interviewed and apparently its a high success rate after interview
Reply 77
vj blib8uvj
Reply 78
T-Reks
oohhhhh...so thats how you base it!...UKCAT or BMAT...thanks!...i want to apply to oxbridge but i know i wont be good enough!...i would love to get into Imperial or UCL!..anyways thanks

how do you know you're not good enough? How many A*s do you have?
Reply 79
yudfvibl,k n.

Latest