The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
T-Reks
Predicted 10 A*, Eng lit/lang, bio, hist, socio, french, art, RE, , core science, additional science ( i dnt think im going to get that many)...and 6 As...chem, physics, maths, ict (3)!

then you're fine to apply to Oxbridge.

Oxford rank for interview based on GCSE & BMAT get 10A*s and a good BMAT and you're in with a shot (providing you get AAA predictions)

Cambridge I'm not entirely sure but I think the interview a lot of the applicants.

EDIT: double check that if you're not taking AS physics you don't need it at an A* grade. I think I can remember reading something along those lines...
Reply 81
fyvikbjlknkih
Reply 82
My brother was accepted to do medicine and in the middle of his 3rd year he decided he wanted to transfer to dentistry. He had very good results and such so they let him transfer and he is a now a successful dentist earning lots and lots and he seems to love it :yep:
When he transferred he just joined the dentists in their 3rd year or something so he didn't even miss out on any years or anything like that.
Neither I, or any of me friends ever considered doing dentistry as a career. It was always medicine/law decision at GCSE times for the higher achieving students.

I wouldnn't like to spend my career looking into open mouths, the same as I wouldn't want to do ophthalmology or ENT!
Reply 84
T-Reks
Snap...going to do same A levels as you...although i hate maths!...How have you found ur subjects?

haha!
Well, at AS, I found both maths and english lit really easy.. At A2 maths takes a lot more thought, and english lit becomes more about the opinions of literary critics as well as your own..
And bio and chem take a lot of memorising, and chem takes a while to get used to at first (esp if you haven't mastered mole calculations etc)
Reply 85
rxytcuvbj
Reply 86
Certain medical schools allow students to transfer providing they have a dental school of course :p: Obviously this won't happen at Oxbridge, Imperial etc :p:
Reply 87
T-Reks
lol k...WTF.....offer from CAMBRIDGE...WELL DONE!....i think you're local to me...im in east london.

haha, thank you! :smile:
And yes, I'm in east london.
Where do you study?
Reply 88
tdcvbjklkn
Reply 89
oixtcujm
Woody.
My brother is a dentist and he is minted (however, he did not enter the profession to become minted, he wanted to be a dentist first and foremost)

Oh, well thats good to see that not everyone is in it for the money. Some people just enjoy inflicting pain on others using a wide range of torture devices (drills, pliars etc.) :p:
Reply 91
T-Reks
Yep heard of Newvic!. lol....heard it was the equivalent of Tower hamlets college...NO offence!

Well you're right, so I can't really be offended by it..
I did ok there though :smile:
Reply 92
cgvjhkbl
Reply 93
T-Reks
Dont get me wrong, you've done brilliantly!...not ok!....CAMBRIDGE!!!!...MY WISH :rolleyes:

But on a general note its easier for girls to get the grades with the support of their friends....whereas with boys its 'uncool' in places like THC. So iv decided to apply further out...like seven kings.

I didn't get much support from my friends this year.. and the resentment from other people has outweighed encouragement.. but its possible with enough motivation to study..
I did actually start at seven kings, but I didn't like it much.. decided to drop out after day 1.. lol.. and then newvic was my only option haha!
And despite it seeming uncool or whatever (this does also apply to girls) you have to think ahead.. At university you'll be among many like minded people.. Do you really care about the childish people that think its uncool?
Phalanges
I'm a medic wishing I'd pursued a life of crime, does that count?

It always amazes me how ignorance of a job never dissuades people from criticising it.

I predict a great future for you as a tabloid hate-spinner, young one.

What if i tell you that i have 4 bankers in the family. All of whom have retained their jobs. Would you call that ignorance? What does your crystal ball predict on that, O great one?
kissmychaddis
What if i tell you that i have 4 bankers in the family. All of whom have retained their jobs. Would you call that ignorance? What does your crystal ball predict on that, O great one?

How big a bonus did each of those four bankers get this year? Which banks do they work for?

Unless I know more information, I can't really tell you how relevant any of that is. It could be like someone a couple of years ago saying "I have a mum who's a nurse and therefore that qualifies me to discuss the Wakefield scandal with any authority, and to slag off those in the field of medical research".
Firstly im not askng you to tell me how relevant anything is.

And in answer to your first two questions they work at barclays, citigroup and goldman sachs. I dont know how big their bonuses were but they were big enough to buy new cars, and even a house.
Reply 97
vbkjlkn
Reply 98
T-Reks

nope couldnt care less!....how was seven kings?...why did you drop out?....what did you get for gcses bwt?

Seven Kings was ok i guess.. It just frustrated me that the 2/3 internal students were nowhere near as bright as everyone else, and that they seemed to ride on the success of the bright pupils that come into the sixth form.. The resources weren't all that great either and the fact that they don't do january exams just made it all worse..
I'd die without january exams..
And for me, lots of girls from my secondary school got in, but nobody I was really good friends with, so it felt weird and the environment was far too competitive..
lol, and I got 12 A*s for GCSE (2 were short course)
Reply 99
mattx10
My brother was accepted to do medicine and in the middle of his 3rd year he decided he wanted to transfer to dentistry. He had very good results and such so they let him transfer and he is a now a successful dentist earning lots and lots and he seems to love it :yep:
When he transferred he just joined the dentists in their 3rd year or something so he didn't even miss out on any years or anything like that.

which uni was this?