Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you get free perscriptions at university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to find somewhere that explains it, but I can't find anything. I have the form that I need to fill in, but I'm not at uni yet, so I need to know when to fill it out and who is actually eligible for it.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    when you get a prescription you tick the box saying I am 18 and in full time education so don't have to pay.

other than that you need do nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you start university to fill it out. Filling it out early causes problems as they assess it on your current circumstances [so if you are living at home, for example, your circumstances are different to when you are living independently at university].

With regards being eligible - I remember reading something about a personal allowance. They work out how much money you have after rent and if this is around £50 or less, you are given the certificate for free prescriptions.

These sites might help:
    FAQ Students
    Low Income Scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    when you get a prescription you tick the box saying I am 18 and in full time education so don't have to pay.

other than that you need do nothing.
    What if you're not 18 though?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by jenny_flum)
    What if you're not 18 though?
    you don't have to pay if you're under 18 either, there is another box for that, either I don't have to pay cos I'm under 18 or I'm 16-17 and in FT education so don't have to pay

don't remember it off the top of my head
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Wait until you start university to fill it out. Filling it out early causes problems as they assess it on your current circumstances [so if you are living at home, for example, your circumstances are different to when you are living independently at university].

To be eligible, I remember reading something about a personal allowance. They work out how much money you have after rent and if this is around £50 or less, you are given the certificate for free prescriptions.

These sites might help:
    FAQ Students
    Low Income Scheme
    if you're in FT education you don't have to pay, whatever your income is.

ReputationRep:
    you need to fill out the HC1 and send copies of your student loan form or bursary or both off showing them the amount you get and then they will send you a HC2 back which mean you dont have to pay for your prescriptions/dental etc

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to pay if you're under 18 either, there is another box for that, either I don't have to pay cos I'm under 18 or I'm 16-17 and in FT education so don't have to pay

don't remember it off the top of my head
    I mean older than 18 lol.

ReputationRep:
    if you're in FT education you don't have to pay, whatever your income is.
    Sadly that is not the case...

(Original post by nhsbsa)
    Q. Are students automatically entitled to free NHS treatment?

A. Students in full-time education who are under the age of 19 are automatically entitled to full help with health costs (except travel costs, in which case they can apply to the Low Income Scheme).

Students aged 19 and over entering higher education generally have access to their own resources and are no longer classed as dependant children. They can apply to the Low Income Scheme, using form HC1, the same as all other adults to see if the qualify for help. Telephone 0845 610 1112 to order an HC1 application form.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone 19 and older, wherether in full time education or not has to pay. Unless you're on an exempt medicene/the pill or on income support or a few other things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    I've been trying to find somewhere that explains it, but I can't find anything. I have the form that I need to fill in, but I'm not at uni yet, so I need to know when to fill it out and who is actually eligible for it.
    You may be elligible for free prescriptions depending on your household income.

My pharmacist told me that I would be permitted to tick the 'under 18 and in full time education' until my 19th birthday, and from that point (or before, to be prepared) you should request form HC1 from them (either ask pharmacist/doctor, or request one from this site), complete that and send it off, and depending on various things at the time of application, you may be given a certificate HC2 (full help with costs) or HC3 (partial help with costs), or they may decided that you don't qualify for help with prescription costs.

You may find the following two sites useful.
    http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/healthc...tioncosts.aspx
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1125.aspx

-----
    [Also, if you live in/go to University in Wales, your prescription is free if collected form a welsh pharmacy; though I see this won't work for OP if heading to Plymouth!]

ReputationRep:
    if in full time education i.e student you still dont have to pay. right up til 25 I think.

I don't remember it all off the top of my head, and haven't got a prescription handy either.
    I don't think thats true as when I was 19 & in college I still had to pay

ReputationRep:
    And, in the time it took me to post, it had already pretty much all been said! Oh well!

ReputationRep:
    if in full time education i.e student you still dont have to pay. right up til 25 I think.

I don't remember it all off the top of my head, and haven't got a prescription handy either.
    You do... its income assessed.

There is an exception once you turn 19, something to do with if someone still receives tax credits for you. However, once you turn 20 you must go down the income assessed route. For under 25, ff you have income over £50.95 per week, you do not qualify for free prescriptions, only subsidised. Income of under £50.95 gives you free prescriptions.

All this assuming you don't have savings of over £16,000

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1136.aspx

ReputationRep:

Sorry, this isn't true!
    After/On your 19th birthday, eligibility for free prescriptions depends on if
    a) you've applied for it and b) income or
    c) living in Wales :awesome:
    or d) having turned 60.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Sadly that is not the case...
    I think I am getting confused as it is different in Wales.

apologies!!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by CrazyChris)
    Sorry, this isn't true!
    After/On your 19th birthday, eligibility for free prescriptions depends on if
    a) you've applied for it and b) income or
    c) living in Wales :awesome:
    or d) having turned 60.

Will edit - am in wales and getting confused.

apologies!

ReputationRep:
    Just to help clarify:

At the age of 19 you are considered an adult and thus pay for your prescriptions [around £7 per item I think at the moment].

If you were 17/18 and in full time education, you will have ticked that box for free prescriptions. That no longer applies once you reach 19/university.

In order to qualify for help, most students apply using the HC1 application form which assesses your financial needs. It takes into account outgoings like rent and all your sources of income [such as your loan, grants, jobs, parental contributions etc]. You send prove of these incomes at the time you apply. As a single person aged under 25, the personal allowance is currently £50.95 a week. This means that if you are left with more than this figure, after rent etc, you do not qualify for full help. If you are left with this amount/less then you do and can get free prescriptions, help with medical travel costs, free eye tests etc.

It tends to be best applying during the academic year when you are living in your term time residence.

I hope that helps to clear some of the confusion [I know it is rather complicated - I've gone through the process three times already lol].

ReputationRep:
    Just to help clarify:

At the age of 19 you are considered an adult and thus pay for your prescriptions [around £7 per item I think at the moment].

If you were 17/18 and in full time education, you will have ticked that box for free prescriptions. That no longer applies once you reach 19/university.

In order to qualify for help, most students apply using the HC1 application form which assesses your financial needs. It takes into account outgoings like rent and all your sources of income [such as your loan, grants, jobs, parental contributions etc]. You send prove of these incomes at the time you apply. As a single person aged under 25, the personal allowance is currently £50.95 a week. This means that if you are left with more than this figure, after rent etc, you do not qualify for full help. If you are left with this amount/less then you do and can get free prescriptions, help with medical travel costs, free eye tests etc.

It tends to be best applying during the academic year when you are living in your term time residence.

I hope that helps to clear some of the confusion [I know it is rather complicated - I've gone through the process three times already lol].

Thanks for that

I tried to get my dentist's receptionist to explain it to me (see gave me the form), but she didn't seem to know herself!

ReputationRep:
    Will edit - am in wales and getting confused.

apologies!
    No worries.
    Wales is on a 'free prescriptions for everyone, regardless of age or situation' at the moment - pretty awesome!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.