Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently studyin my A-levels and looking to study dentistry - but could any current dental students give me an idea of what the studying is like (yeah, i know it's strenuous) - what's the work loads like? do you ever get any free-time? any spare time to have a part time job etc etc. Just a general gist of what its like as I don't know anyone currently studying it. Cheers, Alexis.

ReputationRep:
    first few years it isn't too bad, there is enough time for part time jobs etc provided you manage your time well. 4th and 5th yr are different though, there is a lot of work that needs to be done and there isn't much time off away from uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentalstudentGKT)
    first few years it isn't too bad, there is enough time for part time jobs etc provided you manage your time well. 4th and 5th yr are different though, there is a lot of work that needs to be done and there isn't much time off away from uni.
    How often are the exams held? Every term and/or year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denthrax)
    I am pretty sure you have exams at the end of each term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasilegend)
    I am pretty sure you have exams at the end of each term
    Every Uni varies on when exams are held but if its Bristol - you have tests almost every week and as long as you revise well for those end of year exams are ok. 2nd year human medicine at the end of the year and then pretty much continual assessment until final year exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentalstudentGKT)
    on average, how many hours a week would be taken up by studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeneas745)
    Every Uni varies on when exams are held but if its Bristol - you have tests almost every week and as long as you revise well for those end of year exams are ok. 2nd year human medicine at the end of the year and then pretty much continual assessment until final year exams.
    So is it possible to get a part time job like on weekends then? During a normal weekday, how many hours do you generally spend doing stuff related to your course (i.e. uni & ur own time)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denthrax)
    ir depends on what uni you got, they are all obviously different! it varies year to year also. generally there is an end of year one in may and a midessional one in dec/jan. sometimes they stick in a couple inbetween as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prodigy92)
    on average, how many hours a week would be taken up by studying?
    there isn't a straight answer for this. it varies year to year depending on the workload, if you like to work through the year or cram at the end and depends how bright you are. 1hr on weekdays and 3hrs on sat on 3hrs on sun would probably be a good estimate

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.