Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :mad:

My car refuses to lock!

:mad:

A while back the remote central locking went, it would central lock from the door but not from the remote, pain in the arse, but not worth fixing. It used to try and lock but seemingly get stuck on something and unlock itself, if you get me? Now it seems to have stopped working all together. The indicators flash, like it used to, but there is no attempt at all for it to lock. Also the boot catch used to work, by remote, but now that has failed as well! Again, lights but no movement. I've tried lubricating everything but to no avail, and electrics are beyond my expertise. Cant help but think it will be an expensive trip to a Fraud stealership to fix what I have no doubt is a very simple problem. Could be battery related, the battery is on its way out but always starts the car, so it should have enough juice to work the central locking.

Anyone have any ideas?

Car is a 2001 Focus.

TIA

ReputationRep:
    Lets start obvious, fuses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Lets start obvious, fuses?
    Nope, just been out and its clicking again. So it trys to lock but goes back again if that makes sence? Seems like its catching, but for the life of me I cant see what on....... nothing has moved since it was working 6 months ago!

ReputationRep:
    Do any of the doors lock?

My first thought was that it was a stuck motor or something, after being left for months. But if none of the doors are working, this screams electrical to me, perhaps there is not enough juice to power every motor. Perhaps not due to the battery but some voltage regulator somewhere has gone.

I wonder if it would come up on a OBDII reader as a fault?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I wonder if it would come up on a OBDII reader as a fault?
    Maybe, Ford wanted £80 to have a look before they even started fixing everything. Anyway, went out t'other morning and poked, prodded, lubricated, locked and unlocked for half an hour then it decided to fix itself. God knows what I did, or why it happened, but not complaining. Nearly spat my dummy out when Ford wanted £80 just to have a look! 2 hours labour. They can sing for that.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, result!

Don't you just love problems/solutions like that!!

ReputationRep:
    This happened to mine once... it happens because the car thinks on of the doors is open.. An easy fix is to disconnect the central locking :P and use normal locks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.