Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    I've been called "potato picker" 'cos I'm Irish, but as far as being white goes, not personally, but my friend was called "blood clot" in brixton once:p:
    blood clot isnt a racially abusive term. It's just a pan-abusive term west indians use like the british would call people the four letter c-word or a *******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    Just wondering if any caucasians on here have ever been attacked/insulted for the colour of their skin. It's happened to me, but you obviously don't hear about that racism because institutions/the media prefer to ignore it. Anyone else?
    Black guy once told me I looked like the milky bar kid, so I called him a stupid ugly n*gger. Then he said I was racist; what a hypocritical prick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Oh grow up. Where in Britain is it deemed that you are superior if you are white skinned? Way to advocate racism.

There is racism both ways.

FML. Some people.
    Your perception of social and cultural nuances is obviously very poor. Ofcourse there is racism both ways, but the effect of each needs to be considered contextually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechazoid)
    AHAHAHA... white people don't know what racism is, i grew up with it every day since i was a young child from the tolerant white people.

If you think you have had racist abuse you don't know what it is....

Wait till you have bricks thrown at your house, being physically attacked, called names, insulted at work.... the list goes on.

You are not victims.
    he has a point

ReputationRep:
    well given that whites are the only race with a history of enslaving other races, i think we can take it on the chin, especially in our own country :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :facepalm:

Whats the need!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Black guy once told me I looked like the milky bar kid, so I called him a stupid ugly n*gger. Then he said I was racist; what a hypocritical prick.
    erm...
    1) Calling you "The milky bar kid" doesnt have the same, terrible historical and negative connotations as that horrible word you used to describe black people

Milky bars are chocolate (yeah I realise they're white), generally quite pleasant to eat and there's nothing wrong/evil/stupid with the young blond boy who's used to promote them. That, although makes reference to race is in no shape or for any comparison to what you retorted.

Stupid, Ugly ****** plays on reductive disgusting racial stereotypes that have existed for years. You behaved, in my mind really repulsively and people like you make it hard for me to be as confident about myself as I could be. I cannot stand people disliking me for the colour of my skin because I am not racist myself. If someone dislikes me for a personality trait, that's fine because that's judging me as a person, but racism/sexism is vile

2) Tom on the previous page has explained beautifully why racism to minorities and sexism women is worse and MORE unacceptable than sexism towards men or racism to white people, due to the the history of ethnic minorities and women being seen as inferior and having less status in society. I'm not saying any form of racism is acceptable btw.

Damn. As both a woman and an ethnic minority, it doesnt bode well.

I still feel that ethnic minorities and women are held with pretty low regard. I certainly have struggled with quite severe exposure to racism while I grew up and it still affects my self esteem now.
    Recently someone (guy) moved from their seat (on the tube) when I can to sit next to them and racially abused me, making me feel like some kind of leper. And that was yesterday.

(Original post by Barden)
    well given that whites are the only race with a history of enslaving other races, i think we can take it on the chin, especially in our own country :rolleyes:
    The african slaves were sold to white slave owners by their own people. It isnt really a black v white issue.

This isnt our country. Surely the past year of having the bnp in the media has taught you that white people dont have any more claim to it than other races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    erm...
    1) The milky bar kid doesnt have the same, terrible historical and negative connotations that horrible word you used to describe black people

Milky bars are chocloate (yeah I realise they're white), generally quite pleasant to eat, but you cut that guy down much worse than you needed to.

2) Tom on the previous page has explained beautifully why racism to minorities and sexism women is worse and MORE unacceptable than sexism towards men or racism to white people, due to the the history of ethnic minorities and women being seen as inferior and having less status in society.

Damn. As a woman and an ethnic minority, it doesnt bode well.

I still feel that ethnic minorities and women are held with pretty low regard. I certainly have struggled with quite severe exposure to racism while I grew up and it still affects my self esteem now.
    1)It is offensive to call a blond guy 'milky bar kid'; I was offended. It suggests that I'm weak, puny and childlike simply due to northern european heritage. Which is just as offensive as saying someone is stupid and ugly due to african heritage.

2)There is no degree of wrongness with racism and sexism. Saying otherwise is in itself racist and sexist. White males are probably the most disregarded and discriminated demographic in the western world (which is a bitter irony considering we are the ones who made the western world.; 'positive' discrimination, gender and race quotas, and that it is socially acceptable to say anything against them. I'm not surprised that you're saying this as a female ethnic minority; one rule for you . . .

ReputationRep:
    Enslavement has been used in many many nations though it may be possible that with rich white Europeans doing it it had a notoriously 'racial' basis that was extrapolated into theories of superiority etc.

Romans enslaved regardless of skin complexion (there were white British slaves and black Nubian slaves) as did Barbary pirates, Turks, Chinese etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechazoid)
    AHAHAHA... white people don't know what racism is, i grew up with it every day since i was a young child from the tolerant white people.

If you think you have had racist abuse you don't know what it is....

Wait till you have bricks thrown at your house, being physically attacked, called names, insulted at work.... the list goes on.

You are not victims.
    Kind of agree. I hate the people who have had one racist experience and think their whole life is **** and then start hating everyone who is ethnic. Makes me laugh tbh.

ReputationRep:
    the arabs used to enslave blacks in a similar way to how europeans did, they just did it on a less industious way.

ReputationRep:
    a group of asians chased me through a shopping centre yelling jew boy. does that count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Recently someone (guy) moved from their seat (on the tube) when I can to sit next to them and racially abused me, making me feel like some kind of leper. And that was yesterday.
    Wow, that's pretty awful, I'm sorry.

Try not to let it get you down too much, not everyone is such a ****. Don't let a few idiots ruin your self esteem, there are a thousand decent people for every racist.

:jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    1)It is offensive to call a blond guy 'milky bar kid'; I was offended. It suggests that I'm weak, puny and childlike simply due to northern european heritage. Which is just as offensive as saying someone is stupid and ugly due to african heritage.

2)There is no degree of wrongness with racism and sexism. Saying otherwise is in itself racist and sexist. White males are probably the most disregarded and discriminated demographic in the western world (which is a bitter irony considering we are the ones who made the western world.; 'positive' discrimination, gender and race quotas, and that it is socially acceptable to say anything against them. I'm not surprised that you're saying this as a female ethnic minority; one rule for you . . .

Did you ask him what he meant by that? The black guy? Because that is very much due to interpretation. I personally didnt make that assumption with "milky bar kid"

What you said wasnt due to interpretation though. Calling someone a ugly stupid ****** is far worse.
    Any reference to race in that context was damn stupid and the bloke was wrong for making any reference to your race, but what you said had much more offensive weight (bearing in mind that there is a huge history of black people being seen as inferior which persists today - See my previous response edited to include my example of this)
    And of course there is the history of Female oppression.

Whilst it is wrong for any sexism, it's particularly cowardly for a man to be abusive to a woman (for gender reasons) because of how those groups have sat in the history of terms of society and status. Same for ethnic minorities who have been persecuted and continue to be persecuted.

It's like the big kid picking on the small kid in the playground.

And as for this "one rule for me" business, I don't use racially abusive or sexist language to anyone. It's really childish, stupid and can only end up in getting into a futile, inflammatory argument with someone.

And also, I really am one of the least racist/discriminatory people you could meet despite how some people have treated me along the way. I'm a pushover and too nice sometimes.

My family heritage spans across Europe, Asia, Africa and the Caribbean. I feel it's important to respect all my ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    whites are the only race with a history of enslaving other races
    Every culture in existence has had slavery at one point or another. It's not just something white people did to black people, as you seem to believe :rolleyes: . Go read a book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    wtf was that about!?

ReputationRep:
    i got called 'milk face' on saturday by somebody who looked strikingly similar to this... thing

does it count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    Wow, that's pretty awful, I'm sorry.

Try not to let it get you down too much, not everyone is such a ****. Don't let a few idiots ruin your self esteem, there are a thousand decent people for every racist.

:jumphug:

Yeah thanks. The only thing is that things like that are more common than you think and thats in the centre of "cosmopolitan" London.

On the other hand, I get racist abuse from African blokes from time to time because I am going out with a white guy (once we were in West end London, they physically grabbed me and ridiculed me, being really sexually explicit in their insults of me having sex with my boyfriend because of our differences in colour)

I really wish those people would stop making me feel bad about my colour as I study, I work and make an effort to integrate. Every time the BNPers/far right people use blanket descriptions to say how bad ethnic minorities are, people like me, who arent sponging, who speak perfect english, adopt the British culture feel rubbish. I feel sometimes that we cant ever win/be accepted and we might as well do all the bad things they expect us to do.

ReputationRep:
    some gurkhas children at my old school tried it but respond with a few curry jokes and they soon shut up.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.