Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    The african slaves were sold to white slave owners by their own people. It isnt really a black v white issue.

This isnt our country. Surely the past year of having the bnp in the media has taught you that white people dont have any more claim to it than other races.

well what i mean is, 'in our homeland' where most other people are also white, and racism against us will not become persecution, since we are in the majority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Enslavement has been used in many many nations though it may be possible that with rich white Europeans doing it it had a notoriously 'racial' basis that was extrapolated into theories of superiority etc.

Romans enslaved regardless of skin complexion (there were white British slaves and black Nubian slaves) as did Barbary pirates, Turks, Chinese etc.

this is what i meant, forgive me, i should have said '....history of enslaving other peoples, using race as justification'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Every culture in existence has had slavery at one point or another. It's not just something white people did to black people, as you seem to believe :rolleyes: . Go read a book.

whites are the only people to enslave another people, using race as justification

ReputationRep:
    When will people realise we are all one race?

ReputationRep:
    ive only had racist remarks thrown at me as a joke, besides i wouldn't be offended even if it was meant abusively

ReputationRep:
    all the time, i got called a snowflake

i went home and cut myself. tragic really.

ReputationRep:
    Never over the colour of my skin, no.

I haven't encountered much racism at all actually other than stupid, narrow minded questions while I was living in Australia and only once being highly offensive when a teacher was talking to my ex (Australian) and not knowing I was English, said that we are the scum of the earth and should all be shot or hung. Then he started to chuckle and having no reason to believe I wasn't Australian said "Not English are you? hehe..."
    "Yes..."
    Awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right>Left)
    its happens just the liberal media don't want to report on it
    *reads comment, then thinks about daily mail, then pukes*

*reads signature, pukes some more*

ReputationRep:
    Umm...all the time. I live in the american south...Civil War, slavery, all that stuff. My home city was the capital of the Confederate States of America, racism is still alive and well. Honestly though, I really don't care bc a) its incredibly petty to be serious about something like that. Judging someone purely based on the colour of their skin, that is. and b) bc me and my friends (some asian, some white, some black, some hispanic or latino) all make fun of each other all the time anyway, skin colour and everything else on the list. It's all in good fun and no one takes it with even a grain of salt, completely disregarded. Actually several of my "african american" friends call me racial slurs associated with their culture and tell me that they only hate me bc i'm black (which i'm white). Just funny really. We genuinely care about each other's friendships though and as long as everyone understands that what is said jokingly really isn't a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    well i mistaken a white person for chinese once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    whites are the only people to enslave another people, using race as justification
    Again, not true: in ancient Israel you couldn't take a Jew as a slave; the Ottoman Empire didn't enslave Turks but actively pursued Armenians and Greeks; the various Han chinese dynasties did not take Han slaves; Mongols didn't enslave Mongols but anyone else was game; the Egyptians built the pyramids on the backs of sub-saharan African slaves.

White people have taken slaves who were not white: the Vikings took slaves from every country they visited - mainly Europeans; the Anglo-Saxons enslaved Celtic peoples; the Romans enslaved Europeans from Gaul, Germania and other European places.

Besides, what does the justification matter anyway? The slaves are enslaved regardless of why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Besides, what does the justification matter anyway? The slaves are enslaved regardless of why.
    Of course it effing matters. Its the dominance of an another people on the grounds of self-proclaimed race supremacy.
    All persecution, repression and ill treatment is allowed because those "damned savages, well they don't deserve equal treatment or free will to live their lives uninterrupted".

It builds resentment and bitterness, causes divides between peoples (which remain today) and has long term implications on the morale of persecuted people.

Racial groups that have been previously enslaved were so becuase they were thought of as inferior and "simple" and that negative legacy lives on past slavery (segregation, being made to sit at the back of buses, not being refused entry into various shops, houses for rent, pubs) through the 1950s and 60s. Although there are now equality laws put in place, people still bend the rules and you cannot enforce any legislation for the general social overtone (and that in the media) that ethnic minorities are unequal, less attractive, inferior and stupid.

People on here have commented on being ok with racially abusive terms, but they have been larking around with friends.

A lot of people have been the victims of FREQUENT, INTENTIONALLY offensive racial harassment which they often get criticised AGAIN for being offended with - usually by Far right-ers which is ignoring and validating the actions of the perpetrators.

And then you wonder why individuals like me are frustrated and very vocal about racism. It's because too many people that who haven't grown up with it are so quick to dismiss/deny it with.......

"Just grow a pair of balls and ignore it", "That's not racism" or my old favourite, "You have a chip on your shoulder" (most likely the result of racist childhood conditioning, reinforced through more and more racist incidents throughout adult life)

Its not something you CAN ignore if you've been conditioned to think you are inferior as a young child. It wears your motivation and self-esteem down.

It's a wonder I havent become a racist myself. Instead I internalise the hate onto myself, wondering when the next person is going to verbally attack me and bring my race into it. This is a result of my experiences.

Maybe some people don't feel this way, but I can bet you there will be many that wont want to admit/wont have the balls to admit that they do feel very vulnerable and scared about racist people.

ReputationRep:
    Never.

I'd actually be suprised if it did happen, certainly not offended.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to Lithuania etc its VERY common.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't experienced it. Homosexuals have it worse than black people btw to the people saying whites haven't experienced it. People are just idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but, so? I really don't care about my skin colour and when it does happen i'm actually surprised and find it a bit funny.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wet myself laughing if a black/asian called me a 'honkey' or a 'cracker'

I was once kicked by a black person who was with a group of black people(basically I would of got a kicking if I did anything back and I was with a mega slow fat lad)...he did it from behind and never seen him before in my life...he was 5ft nothing and my leg barely moved and he basically fell over after the kick and limped off...don't know if it was racist or what.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    they were tempted to finger rape me- gang fingering :wtf:
    wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Of course it effing matters. Its the dominance of an another people on the grounds of self-proclaimed race supremacy.
    All persecution, repression and ill treatment is allowed because those "damned savages, well they don't deserve equal treatment or free will to live their lives uninterrupted".
    Not really; that was the excuse because society of the time demanded an excuse. It's like an alcoholic who says they drank half a bottle of whiskey because they needed space in the cupboard. Stop whining about the past and get on with your life. If you feel so persecuted racially here then go back to Africa or wherever; if you stay then just accept that you will always be a foreigner in a foreign land.

ReputationRep:
    I'm half scottish but also half Iraqi.. somehow I turn out 100% black. Do I count as a different race altogether?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.