Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why does everyone think they can do a better job? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    All I ever seem to see and hear is people criticising anyone with any sort of power. Examples people saying Gordon Brown is an absolute idiot. No one person in charge of one country could prevent a GLOBAL recession.
    People saying Tony Blair is a murderer and should be prosecuted. He did what he thought was best for the people he was in charge of, now that it didn't go completely to plan the whole country is jumping on the band wagon and demanding he be 'brought to justice'.

It just annoys me that people are so quick to disagree or criticise, you honestly think you can do a better job? No one can do a job perfectly, why does everyone focus on the small things they do wrong and not just take a small glimpse at the good things they've done?

Sorry if I offend you but I just want to see people stop thinking everything the government does is wrong and that they're ruled by fools, because you're really not.

ReputationRep:
    Because, that is what politics is. No one can do anything right, ever in Politics world.

If politics was fair and just so that it genuinely was the very best who got to the top, then you may have a point. But at the moment it is not the best who get to the top, it is the most manipulative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    If politics was fair and just so that it genuinely was the very best who got to the top, then you may have a point. But at the moment it is not the best who get to the top, it is the most manipulative.
    mm yeah but I honestly don't think gordon brown has done a bad job considering the circumstances but everyone just seems to hate him..

(Original post by Harry-AA)
    mm yeah but I honestly don't think gordon brown has done a bad job considering the circumstances but everyone just seems to hate him..
    i think the main reason people hate him is because he's not 'supposed' to be there. He slipped in behind tony blair.

He is definately a very clever man, but that makes the stupid things that he has done seem even worse. how does a man who supposedly saved the world from complete financial meltdown manage to sell half the countries gold at a 2 billion pound loss?

ReputationRep:
    It's because they fail to grasp an understand of why things are done and the methodology behind each action, thinking their own vacuous theories are gospel.

ReputationRep:
    how does a man who supposedly saved the world from complete financial meltdown manage to sell half the countries gold at a 2 billion pound loss?
    Equally how did he flog the use of some radiowave frequencies for £23bn? I love how people remember the gold but convieniently forget the 3G liciences...

ReputationRep:
    Its simple, they think they can do better because there is no reprocussion when they say whatever gibberish they come out with.

Politicians put their job on the line with everything they say. There may well be lots of things the PM would like to do, but politically can't.

Also people have the benefit of hindsight. 'Why did he sell the gold, he lost £2bn on it' they don't ask why it wasn't sold in the 70s before it lost 80% of its value...

What could he actually have done about the banking crisis? Increased regulation? There wasn't any appitite for that in the country, increase tax on bankers? Likewise, he would have been shouted out of the house.

Finally people don't like to think they could make a mistake/the PM could make a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone needs a scapegoat, the guy at the top is pretty reasonable.

What I find weird is how much flak Obama is getting, a year into a job he started at the bottom of the recession which hes getting blamed for

(Original post by Quady)
    Equally how did he flog the use of some radiowave frequencies for £23bn? I love how people remember the gold but convieniently forget the 3G liciences...
    you are making my point for me. He is amazing at times, yet absolutely ******* retarded at others.

There was a reason he sold the gold so cheaply, somebody profited from it.

ReputationRep:
    All I ever seem to see and hear is people criticising anyone with any sort of power. Examples people saying Gordon Brown is an absolute idiot. No one person in charge of one country could prevent a GLOBAL recession.
    People saying Tony Blair is a murderer and should be prosecuted. He did what he thought was best for the people he was in charge of, now that it didn't go completely to plan the whole country is jumping on the band wagon and demanding he be 'brought to justice'.

It just annoys me that people are so quick to disagree or criticise, you honestly think you can do a better job? No one can do a job perfectly, why does everyone focus on the small things they do wrong and not just take a small glimpse at the good things they've done?

Sorry if I offend you but I just want to see people stop thinking everything the government does is wrong and that they're ruled by fools, because you're really not.
    People are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    There was a reason he sold the gold so cheaply, somebody profited from it.
    If gold had carried on its 30 year slide would you be saying that?

We have profited from the Euros and other currencies we bought with it, get interest on it and don't have to pay as much on security/storage of the gold.

ReputationRep:
    how does a man who supposedly saved the world from complete financial meltdown manage to sell half the countries gold at a 2 billion pound loss?
    how was he meant to predict what would happen to the price of gold? Predicting the market is complete guess work.
    If the price of gold had kept falling and falling then they'd find some other way that he'd done it wrong.
    I'm just fed up of people thinking that someone can do everything right all of the time.

Whenever I hear anyone complain about the government anymore i'm just going to throw them in a box and mail them to Zimbabwe or back in time to the USSR :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    If gold had carried on its 30 year slide would you be saying that?

We have profited from the Euros and other currencies we bought with it, get interest on it and don't have to pay as much on security/storage of the gold.
    It's nice to see someone thats not quite so cynical for a change. THANKYOU!

ReputationRep:
    As I see it, when we were one of the first countries to enter recession, Brown assured us we were one of the best placed nation to weather the recession. Now, as the last G20 nation to leave the recession, with a pathetic 0.1% growth, and that on the back of ridiculous government borrowing which will be a burden for decades to come, we are left with two options: he lied, or he's ruined the country.

how was he meant to predict what would happen to the price of gold? Predicting the market is complete guess work.
    If the price of gold had kept falling and falling then they'd find some other way that he'd done it wrong.
    I'm just fed up of people thinking that someone can do everything right all of the time.

Whenever I hear anyone complain about the government anymore i'm just going to throw them in a box and mail them to Zimbabwe or back in time to the USSR :mfing:
    He announced the sale in advance, it was completely his fault.

And if the only favourable comparison you can make is with Mugabe, that sort of makes my point for me.

ReputationRep:
    there is no such thing as public opinion, only published opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    He announced the sale in advance, it was completely his fault.
    He had to by law. Otherwise the BoE could just work like a hedge fund.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.