Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've got to give in my selection for A levels tomorrow and was still contemplating whether to choose English Lit. The subject evening made it sound 'hard'. However, I do enjoy English at GCSE and looking to get an A (maybe A* if possible). So I was just wondering how you find it and generally how hard it would be to get an A. I know it depends on the person, I just want to hear some advice

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I got A*s in English Lit and Lang at GCSE but am finding Englist Lit very hard at A level, hate it and wish I hadn't taken it. That's probably just my crappy teachers though :dontknow:

If you enjoy the subject and put the work in you should do well

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the topic isn't that bad but my teachers are crap!!! I'm really worried about how I'm going to perform!!!

ReputationRep:
    I got two As at GCSE in English and struggled with English Lit originally. It took a lot of practice and work to get the A I came out with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to get a B in GCSE English Lit, would I be able to get an A at A-Level? I havn't really worked THAT hard at GCSE and could probably do better...

ReputationRep:
    I found it very easy. I think it just depends on the person and you can't know until you try it.
    Would you consider yourself a natural at writing essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    I found it very easy. I think it just depends on the person and you can't know until you try it.
    Would you consider yourself a natural at writing essays?
    I agree.
    It's unrealistic to think anyone on here can tell you how easy/hard it is to get an A in English Lit. Some people i know got A*s or As at gcse and went on to get Bs or Cs at A2. Some people aren't suited to A levels as much as they were GCSES. I was the opposite, got A* at GCSE and A at AS and A2 but that's strictly because it was my best subject, i loved writing essays and just thoroughly enjoyed the course. All i can advise is that if you enjoy the subject, work really hard at it, do the reading, do lots of practise essays and work on your essay writing and then the examiners decide. As long as you said you did your best right? I'm sure if you work hard that A is achievable! Good Luck xx

ReputationRep:
    It's a fun subject, but my performance has dropped a little since GCSE (A* then, got a B for AS). However, it could be something to do with the differing English departments at my old and new schools - I don't rate my current English department that highly, tbh. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I got an A at AS last year and I didn't find it too difficult. The coursework carries a lot of the marks (40% overall I believe - that was for AQA), so if you're good at writing essays and getting meaning out of texts then you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A star for gcse and then got a D for AS so it depends on how much work you put it in, and the practice. The thing i have realised is that it is restricted what you write in essay, i mean the best way to get an A is just write what you HAVE BEEN TAUGHT OR READ SOME WHERE ELSE. I don't mean copying i mean teaching and then just re producing it in your own words. I did that i got a B for my essays. where as if i wrote an essay with my own interpretation then i got marked down. Just be careful on your mistakes and weaknesses, the sooner you pick up on them the better because then you can sit down and work on improving them.

good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I think that english is one of those things you can or cant do, working hard doesn't seem to help most people doing english at my school.. but maybe our teachers just crap!

ReputationRep:
    It's alriiight. I got a C in AS and B at GCSE - you need to have strong wrists to write quick enough in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    I was certain I'd done abysmally at AS, but got an A.
    You have to be willing to write loads of essays, and enjoy wider reading as you'll need it.
    And the coursework making up quite a lot of the final grade helps.
    If I had a less boring teacher I'm sure I'd enjoy it more.

ReputationRep:
    I've found AS quite easy,
    I've been getting A's and B's
    and I'm outperforming my friend who got an A* at gcse.

But the fact my teachers are awesome probably helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.