Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8489097.stm

A sad day for NASA And a sad day for launch enthusiasts - 5 more shuttle launches and then zip until the commercial sector offers something for NASA to basically lease, probably in a decade or so.
    An even bleaker future for Kennedy Space Center as well.

ReputationRep:
    Screw the moon, let's go to Mars!

ReputationRep:
    What a shame.

Bravo Obama, bravo, because your rating weren't low enough already. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8489097.stm

A sad day for NASA And a sad day for launch enthusiasts - 5 more shuttle launches and then zip until the commercial sector offers something for NASA to basically lease, probably in a decade or so.
    An even bleaker future for Kennedy Space Center as well.
    I just read this literally as you were posting. It is sad, but if it truly is as over budget as they say it is then it is without a doubt the right move! I wouldn't say the future of the Kennedy Space Center itself is at much risk

ReputationRep:
    a time will soon come when we are no longer capable of putting people into space at all.

ReputationRep:
    He's not called "Mr Obama". Who the **** calls him Mr.Obama??! What a bunch of idiots, he's Mr President or President Obama :mad:

(Original post by khalaf)
    He's not called "Mr Obama". Who the **** calls him Mr.Obama??! What a bunch of idiots, he's Mr President or President Obama :mad:

I was just about to comment on this, it rarely happens that you get so little respect for a president from the media. As I said, bravo.

Mr Obama said the project was "over budget, behind schedule, and lacking in innovation".

Bwahaha President Engineer Obama knows things about innovation:rolleyes:

(Original post by khalaf)
    Or just Obama?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What a shame Space Flight like everything else has ended up in the realm where business can fight over it :rolleyes:...hopefully something good will come out of this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    I just read this literally as you were posting. It is sad, but if it truly is as over budget as they say it is then it is without a doubt the right move! I wouldn't say the future of the Kennedy Space Center itself is at much risk
    KSC won't be shut down, but given that it's not going to see another manned launch (the frequent unmanned launches go largely unnoticed/unreported) for about a decade after the space shuttle retires, thousands upon thousands of jobs will be axed.
    Even before this announcement, a government agency report estimated 12,000 shuttle-related job losses in Florida, with the vast majority of them at or around KSC. The place will be little more than a visitor centre for a decade or so.

ReputationRep:
    typical osama..

ReputationRep:
    It's not really needed.....

ReputationRep:
    Well strictly speaking there's not a lot that we can do in space at the moment. We've just about exhausted everything moon wise, and we have a fairly comprehensive understanding of the solar system within our reaches.

Until technology advances there really is little point in sending people in to space. It is HUGELY expensive and frankly futile with the current level of technology.

ReputationRep:
    So it's up to China now. Maybe India too. Europe's space program. Could it do it?

What is Russia up to these days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    What is Russia up to these days?
    Trying to maintain a vast and technologically crippled military force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Until technology advances there really is little point in sending people in to space. It is HUGELY expensive and frankly futile with the current level of technology.
    The development of space technology since the 1960s has been driven almost entirely by...people going into space. That's the whole point of the ISS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Trying to maintain a vast and technologically crippled military force.
    Sack that.

They should get back to the good old days and compete for the moon. Then Obama won't want them getting ahead, and then let NASA carry on the project.

Simples.

ReputationRep:
    cant wait for all the obama nuts to come out

ReputationRep:
    I'm really, really disappointed in this one - had been looking forward to the US returning to the Moon. I don't like Bush, but he had the right idea about the space program. Frankly, if it was a choice between the great-at-first-but-turned-out-stupid health bill, and funding space exploration to inspire a new generation, I'd choose space exploration every time.

Oh well, now the impetus is there for Europe to do it. HINT HINT ESA GO GET SOME MONEY.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.