Turn on thread page Beta

Obama cancels NASA's Constellation moon programme watch

(Original post by PJ991)
    Sack that.

They should get back to the good old days and compete for the moon. Then Obama won't want them getting ahead, and then let NASA carry on the project.

Simples.

Oh.... like he didn't let iran build more nuclear facilities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The development of space technology since the 1960s has been driven almost entirely by...people going into space. That's the whole point of the ISS.
    But all of that technology depends wholly on background knowledge and pre-existing technology.

The space-suit for example, completely new innovation for the space race but didn't push any fundamental technological boundaries. NASA has just about reached the pinacle of it's possible development, and until something extraordinary comes along there's not a lot to do.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous, the amount of tech that has come out of space exploration is immense, even if you ignore the exploration aspects of it. While I agree with him that the corporate sector should have more involvement with NASA, that involvement should have been directed towards achieving the aim of a moon base and a mission to Mars. While I largely like Obama, this is a massive mistake by him.

Oh well just means that the Chinese, Indians or Europeans if they get their act together/work with Russia will be the next back to the Moon and the first to Mars.

(Original post by sandeep90)
    Screw the moon, let's go to Mars!
    /Pandora

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised at this decision. Personally very pro-science and really dislike seeing funding cuts. I guess the real issue is whether or not the private sector can step up to the job. Virgin Galactic are doing a great job at the moment. Obama should ask himself how necessary that extra fighter jet is compared with keeping a technological advantage over China/Russia. America's supremacy was always rooted in a devastating technological advantage. Otherwise they will just be another regional block on the world stage. Even smaller then the EU, in GDP and population.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about the moon - done and dusted...

ReputationRep:
    Who can't wait till osama hijacks virgin galactic?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dzeh)
    typical osama..
    People lets be serious now, if the project was vastly over budget and seemingly not going anywhere why pump more money into it? unfortunately heads of states cannot make decisions based on feeling like us. I dont understand why people complain about national debts but then when cuts come there in out rage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    a time will soon come when we are no longer capable of putting people into space at all.
    Because going to space is so very important for the people of America.

ReputationRep:
    good.

space is a waste of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Oh.... like he didn't let iran build more nuclear facilities?
    that's not the same as going to the moon.

ReputationRep:
    Was it really going to achieve anything? I agree that NASA should plan for more missions, but the real aim should be Mars and US government funding will inevitably have to wait a while until the economy improves.

ReputationRep:
    If they were truly over-budget and not producing then its a step that he had to take. You have to remember just how much debt the US are in..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheLandOfNorwegia)
    Because going to space is so very important for the people of America.
    No, because going to space is critical for the people of Earth.

ReputationRep:
    It is a bit sad they cancelled it, and they have wasted a fair few billions on it too. That said I can see it is a bit of a waste of money. It would be nice to see the moon revisited again in my life time, but I guess China will be there quite soon.

(Original post by PJ991)
    that's not the same as going to the moon.

No, but he is spineless enough to ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Good. Money well saved.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend came and woke me up in bed to tell me the news because he knows how much I love space and NASA, my wildest dream would be to become an astronaut or work for a space agency. I was so gutted. I really believed we would be the last generation to look up into the night sky and not see lights on the Moon. I hope we still get to the Moon and Mars in my lifetime.

This has seriously made me doubt President Obama, I really thought he was pro-science.

I guess the European Space Agency is still cool...

ReputationRep:
    Good? USA have already conquered Space. The Space Race finished quite a while ago. :rollseyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    People lets be serious now, if the project was vastly over budget and seemingly not going anywhere why pump more money into it? unfortunately heads of states cannot make decisions based on feeling like us. I dont understand why people complain about national debts but then when cuts come there in out rage.
    It was over budget because they never allocated enough funds for the project to begin with, so they had to try make do on a smaller budget. NASA were requesting increases for years.

This is all very disappointing for me. We may still see more manned missions to the moon in our lifetime from China but I think we can forget Mars now. I hope NASA can at least put the money to good use and fund more probes to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. It's ridiculous that there's only one such mission planned in the next 20 years.

What we really need to get manned space flight going is an international effort in the way the ISS was done. Going back to the moon should be the next big international effort. NASA, ESA, Russia, China and India plus anyone else who wants to get involved. The ISS will probably be abandoned in the early 20s so what then? Time to start planning.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.