Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Obama cancels NASA's Constellation moon programme watch

How are we to ever definitively establish the existence of the Soup Dragon? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Obama has been quite disappointing for a bunch of issues now... this is pathetic.

NASA should know no budget bounds. Hell, if I was President, I would cut anything BUT space exploration. How about starting to tax churches and giving that tax money to NASA?!?!?!

Now our friendship (he knows me personally, honest) is totally over. Most embarrassing day in US history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    KSC won't be shut down, but given that it's not going to see another manned launch (the frequent unmanned launches go largely unnoticed/unreported) for about a decade after the space shuttle retires, thousands upon thousands of jobs will be axed.
    Even before this announcement, a government agency report estimated 12,000 shuttle-related job losses in Florida, with the vast majority of them at or around KSC. The place will be little more than a visitor centre for a decade or so.
    I agree with the job losses. Have you been there?

ReputationRep:
    Plain fact is we can't afford it. We're going to be $1.6 Trillion in debt after the next budget. The Moon Mission wasn't essential science, and most Americans would probably support his decision.

It's all about jobs and the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liptease)
    Plain fact is we can't afford it. We're going to be $1.6 Trillion in debt after the next budget. The Moon Mission wasn't essential science, and most Americans would probably support his decision.

It's all about jobs and the economy.
    Who the hell is "we"? Your flag is not American.

Saying "the Moon Mission wasn't essential science" is complete BS. You should be shot, as should anybody supporting this cut.

ReputationRep:
    I totally support the decision. There are far more valuable scientific programmes that deserve NASA's budget. Another manned mission to the moon would call for a budget hike, and cuts in other programmes. Hardly realistic in the current climate.

Blame it on the bankers. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I agree with choice. I never had great sympathy for the project from the minute I heard of it. I mean it could bring a bit of solid advancement in space technology but not that much to be feasible. Then again seeing as they were running in a whole lot of problems and were really late on schedule it wasn't going to be a great success; given there are already private business working on the project I think it would be better to leave it to them. After all it would flourish better as a business than a NASA programme. What saddens me about this is the real reason he cancelled it; a.k.a funding. Funding that wouldn't be used for any other science programme either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typiin)
    NASA should know no budget bounds. Hell, if I was President, I would cut anything BUT space exploration.
    Yeah, screw making healthcare better available or improving education... let's spend the money on sending a man to mars, that's more useful.

ReputationRep:
    Saying "the Moon Mission wasn't essential science" is complete BS. You should be shot, as should anybody supporting this cut.
    To be exact it was more about technology and engineering. No doubt science played a big part but as such it brought no new scientific discoveries. Or am I wrong? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell is "we"? Your flag is not American.

I'm American. Even if i swapped flags recently.

America has more pressing matters at home that require a budget increase. This would have done less to increase scientific knowledge than many other projects which cost a fraction of this proposal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    I agree with the job losses. Have you been there?
    Yes, in 1999. We would have seen the STS-93 launch, but it was aborted and we had to fly home before it eventually went up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Bwahaha President Engineer Obama knows things about innovation:rolleyes:
    LOL. The designs just weren't fun enough for Obama. Where was the detachable saucer, the tractor beam, the go faster stripes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBOON)
    To be exact it was more about technology and engineering. No doubt science played a big part but as such it brought no new scientific discoveries. Or am I wrong? :confused:
    I think the aim was to establish the viability of setting up a base on the moon, that would be pretty much essential if humans were to ever go to Mars.

ReputationRep:
    hhhmmM

ReputationRep:
    Space science has contributed a hell of a lot to so many parts of humanity. First there are the NASA spin-offs, like the stuff in babies' nappies that stores the pee? Material that can be heated to thousands of degrees on one side of a block of it and touched with your bare hand on the other?

Second of all, there's the awe it inspired. America is at the forefront of technology and engineering because its citizens were inspired by the ingenuity of space exploration. It is suspected to be one of the reasons why so many great science is coming out of the USA, because the Apollo astronauts inspired kids at the time to grow up to be scientists. The amount of computing technology in Apollo 11 was about the same as the amount in a modern digital watch. Imagine what we could do now if there were the resources?!

Third of all, exploration of Mars and further away is limited by the speed of light. The rovers on Mars can only be programmed in advance because of the delay of communication. This can lead to fatal accidents (for the rovers). Methane has been discovered on Mars, possibly from a biological source, and we have no way to detect if it's being emitted from a lifeform or not with our current equipment. A lot of people agree the best way to investigate the mystery is to get people onto the Martian surface.

Establishing a base on the Moon is the first step to the rest of the universe - the escape velocity on the Moon is so much lower that it would be far more inexpensive and easier to launch missions from there. Without the Moon missions, the rest of manned space flight falls apart. And if mankind end up surviving until a disaster threatens to destroy the earth (e.g. death of the sun, asteroid, gamma ray bursts) then we kinda need to sort out an escape route, right?

ReputationRep:
    See Kepler for real wow factor science.

Making this happen would have required a 10 year budget hike for NASA.
    That's not even remotely popular, nor sensible, in the current recession. In fact the British government has just cut back on University funding. Governments all over the world are having to make dear sacrifices at home let alone space.

ReputationRep:
    He has changed the world.
    For shame.

BRING BACK BUSH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Yes, in 1999. We would have seen the STS-93 launch, but it was aborted and we had to fly home before it eventually went up
    Ahh thats a shame, we went there last year... we missed the shuttle launch but were there for the landing. What I was surprised about is just how much is dedicated to non human space travel scientific research, the tour guide gave some crazy percentage. I think it is still set to be a major science research facility just minus the human launch aspect. Had a quick look over the budget summary and they want to invest quite a sizeable chunk on upgrading the site. Hopefully it isn't reduced to a visitor complex because if the dedicated visitor centre is anything to go by (after being essentially sold off) its all downhill, because the visitor complex was in worse shape last year than I remember it being on my previous visit in 1998

ReputationRep:
    What a disgrace... I thought this man had more sense. Now it's become crystal clear to me that Obama is a liar and a fool - expectations were too high from the beginning, but now the Obama administration is cancelling ambitious space programs? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/i...ptwo-roll-out/

Where it's at.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.