Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am going to try to get to AS standard (Edexcel) from summer 2010 - january 2011 so that I can then do the A2 in summer 2011: is there any advice that'd be useful? I was thinking about going on a intensive Spanish course in the summer - any recommendations? I already have GCSE Spanish at A* if that makes any difference. Also, is there anything that can improve my speaking and listening - these are going to be my weak points I fear.

PS: Is this at all achievable or am I just being unrealistic? :o:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think you could get a good grasp of grammar in that time. I think the area where you'll be worst will be vocabulary, unless you really put a lot of time into it. But having the GCSE obviously helps in that area.

Improving listening could be done by listening to radio programs, and there may be some good podcasts available for differing ability levels.

ReputationRep:
    If you could go on an intensive course over the summer in a speaking country that would probably work. When I lived in Spain I improved amazingly quickly!

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be overly pessimistic but i think that would be VERY hard.

Everyone in my French A Level class got a range from A*- B grades at GCSE, but due to the sheer difficulty of the course, we all found that our grade slipped alot over the AS year. People who got A* at GCSE were finding that they were scraping C grades....and thats even with hours of lessons a week and one on one time with the native French assistant.

I found that there was a big jump from GCSE to AS. You need to be confident grammatically,formulate arguments and learn alot of vocab - something that wasn't really necessary at GCSE level.

But if you are dead set on doing this, listen to alot of news. Even put them on your ipod and listen for 10 mins a day - it will really boost your listening skills.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenia.)
    Hi,

I am going to try to get to AS standard (Edexcel) from summer 2010 - january 2011 so that I can then do the A2 in summer 2011: is there any advice that'd be useful? I was thinking about going on a intensive Spanish course in the summer - any recommendations? I already have GCSE Spanish at A* if that makes any difference. Also, is there anything that can improve my speaking and listening - these are going to be my weak points I fear.

PS: Is this at all achievable or am I just being unrealistic? :o:

Thanks
    Yes, I think it's possible. Can I ask you whether there is any specific reason why you want to do it with Edexcel? Our class used some of the Edexcel past papers to revise (my college followed the Edexcel syllabus but changed to AQA last year) and students tend to find the AQA syllabus considerably easier. And with regards to the vocabulary, try reading books, newspapers and magazines in Spanish. Every year I subscribe through my college to a magazine called 'Authentik', which is designed for A level students. I think it also comes with a CD (or at least some sort of listening material). Are you doing any other A levels at the moment or are you going to dedicate yourself fully to Spanish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    Yes, I think it's possible. Can I ask you whether there is any specific reason why you want to do it with Edexcel? Our class used some of the Edexcel past papers to revise (my college followed the Edexcel syllabus but changed to AQA last year) and students tend to find the AQA syllabus considerably easier. And with regards to the vocabulary, try reading books, newspapers and magazines in Spanish. Every year I subscribe through my college to a magazine called 'Authentik', which is designed for A level students. I think it also comes with a CD (or at least some sort of listening material). Are you doing any other A levels at the moment or are you going to dedicate yourself fully to Spanish?
    Thanks. I just said Edexcel because it is the board my college does Spanish with. I'm not planning on starting to dedicate lots of my time to Spanish at the moment - I'm already doing 5 AS Levels - but I was planning that during summer I could really get my Spanish up to scratch. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this with French - I'm sitting the AS in June, most probably. I'd also reiterate that AQA is a lot easier than Edexcel. Anyway, I'm putting a lot of time into vocabulary and writing proper essays, which is probably the main difference I've noticed.

ReputationRep:
    It is certainly possible. I did my French A2 from afar, and I managed to get an A without a teacher really helping me. If you do a course over the summer you should be set. Try to read some books as well, it should help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenia.)
    Thanks. I just said Edexcel because it is the board my college does Spanish with. I'm not planning on starting to dedicate lots of my time to Spanish at the moment - I'm already doing 5 AS Levels - but I was planning that during summer I could really get my Spanish up to scratch. :yep:
    Oh OK. I think that if you do a fair amount of work over the summer, it shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way, I did Spanish GCSE in year 12 and got an A* - I'm now studying it at AS and A2 this year and having no problems at all - if you've got the enthusiasm and dedication, I'm sure you'll do it

I always found online Spanish radio stations to be a big help with listening - even if you can't understand the whole conversation, it really does 'tune' your ears in to the sound of the language. It's also incredible how much vocab you pick up from listening to Spanish music, try that

ReputationRep:
    get some penpals who speak spanish, they help Spanish Penpals

ReputationRep:
    I basically had no spanish lessons at all at GCSE - we started in year 11 and missed most of them and I managed fine at AS
    Go for it, I'm a bit concerned that you're trying to do it on top of 5 other ASs.. I think that's what you said, but if you're keen and you've got nothing to lose, why not?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I reckon you could do it. Listening using the radio/podcasts can be difficult because you might think they say one thing when they actually don't, and they also tend to use expressions which won't come up at A2. If you can find something with a transcript, then listen to it a few times, try and write down as much as possible and then check if you got it right. If you got it wrong, go back and listen again and see why you got it wrong. Another good thing to do might be translations, again if you can find something in both languages, try to translate it and then check. Not sure exactly where you'd find things like that but news services might be a good start, or you could buy a book in Spanish and its translation and work on that. Alternatively just translate whatever you can find and get someone to check it.

Edit: There's also quite a good Spanish grammar book called A Spanish Learning Grammar, it's by two authors but I think one of them's called Munoz? I got it just after GCSE on the advice of my teacher and it turned out the be the one we used for my first 2 years of uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.