Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Going into Chemical Engineering, how're these a-levels? thanks. :) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm looking at a career in chemical engineering and wanted to know whether the following a-levels were relevant/useful to the course at university?

Chemistry
    Biology
    Economics
    History

How're these a-level subjects for chemical engineering?
    How hard are they at a-level?

(sorry for the questions! :p: )

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    history is a lot of essays and i've heard economics is as well. maybe just choose one of them (i.e. most history courses cover politics and economics at A2 if that's any help)? Maths would be a great idea too. good luck choosing

ReputationRep:
    I would also suggest Maths instead of History or Economics

ReputationRep:
    Maths required, why are you even bothering with Economics? Not relevant or out.

ReputationRep:
    Go with Maths, as everyone says, a quick search on UCAS suggests they aren't going to give you the time of day unless you do it.

In terms of the A-levels. I found Chemistry very interesting, so much so Im doing it as a degree now, and the exams are fair game. Biology, I like the subject, but my exams were a pain in the backside as the examiners are so picky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NowBor)
    Maths required, why are you even bothering with Economics? Not relevant or out.
    Maths isn't compulsory though, is it? =S
    Also, maths is not my cup of tea :p: hehe.

which is why i chose economics as i'm capable of C-B grade maths. not A* work :p: haha.

any other suggestions besides maths would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

(p.s. if you've done any of those subjects, how have you found them?)

ReputationRep:
    Engineering and Maths are married.

ReputationRep:
    Chemical engineering. You will need maths...

ReputationRep:
    change history for maths, history is no use for chemical engineering.
    keep economics, i know some universities somewhat desire economics a an A-Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    Well from my mate who did Chem Eng, he seemed to suggest it was less chemistry and more maths (inspite of the name), so you may want to check that one. If you don't like Maths, how about physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Well from my mate who did Chem Eng, he seemed to suggest it was less chemistry and more maths (inspite of the name), so you may want to check that one. If you don't like Maths, how about physics?
    physics is good at GCSE, but how is it at a-level?

ReputationRep:
    maths and physics are really essential or else you'll have a tough time studying the course.

ReputationRep:
    physics is good at GCSE, but how is it at a-level?
    Dunno to be honest, never did physics (Im a chemistry student :P, and took Biol, Chem and Computing at A2). Maths is alright, though do it from the word go, I took it as a second year AS, and had to drop it as it was costing me marks on my A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    maths and physics are really essential or else you'll have a tough time studying the course.
    if i changed economics to physics; how would that be?
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    History

obviously, i'm willing to put the work in; three subjects they i like, one that's not so bad (physics, but i can catch up during the summer beforehand) :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you don't do maths at A level, places like UCL will make you take maths classes alongside the degree to catch up. If you really want to go through with that.... then ok..

ReputationRep:
    I don't know of any universities (good ones at least) that would take you for a ChemEng course with those A levels.
    For all types of Engineering you NEED maths and physics, preferably further maths, and for ChemEng you will need Chemistry.
    If you really want to do ChemEng, and your school offers further maths, maths/further/physics/chemistry are what you need to take, if you like take a 5th AS in one of your original subjects, Economics could be helpful.

If maths isn't your thing then engineering is not for you, other than studying pure maths, engineering is about as mathsy as a uni course gets.

ReputationRep:
    Take them then but you won't get into an Engineering course lolzies. If you listen to everyone's advice they're all saying the same thing, you need Maths.

Edit, just realised you said earlier that Maths isn't your cup of tea ha. Consider a career away from engineering.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have an option. If you want to do chemical engineering you need maths. My maths teacher read chemical engineering and can hence teach maths because his degree was largely maths... out.

(Original post by DMed)
    This.

Chem Eng I think is more like mechanical engineering, with the added challenge of not blowing up your ingredients etc.. For that reason, there is not much chemistry, but maths is vital, and physics helps if you don't do M2/3.

ReputationRep:
    Some Universities suggest:

"A level Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics are essential. If available, Further Mathematics is also desirable."

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.