Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going into Chemical Engineering, how're these a-levels? thanks. :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Maths Maths Maths
    I'd drop History and Biology for Maths and Physics, unless you're thinking about Biochemical Engineering in which case Physics isn't THAT important.

EDIT: If Maths is not your cup of tea you're probably better off doing another course. I suggest Chemistry; you don't get to control gigantic machines but at least you still get to blow stuff up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    if i changed economics to physics; how would that be?
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    History
    The ideal combination for chemical engineering would be maths, chemistry, physics and further maths. All are relevant; the first two are absolutely essential, physics is highly desirable (essential for such places as Cambridge) and FM is desirable. Like all engineering disciplines chemical engineering is highly mathematical and if you don't enjoy the subject or aren't much good at maths you really won't get on very well. You could describe it as maths with a pungent smell.

Biology and history are completely irrelevant and will only hinder your application.

ReputationRep:
    If you really don't like the idea of maths, engineering is definitely not for you. I'd consider looking for a different degree.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is needed.

ReputationRep:
    I would really suggest Maths, Further Maths, Probably Physics/Biology, Chemistry. I think it has a lot of maths, and physics would help. Surprisingly you don't need much Chemistry.

maths chemistry physics /thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The ideal combination for chemical engineering would be maths, chemistry, physics and further maths. All are relevant; the first two are absolutely essential, physics is highly desirable (essential for such places as Cambridge) and FM is desirable. Like all engineering disciplines chemical engineering is highly mathematical and if you don't enjoy the subject or aren't much good at maths you really won't get on very well. You could describe it as maths with a pungent smell.

Biology and history are completely irrelevant and will only hinder your application.
    Thanks! really helpful advice. yeah, i'll probably end up taking maths instead of either history or biology. :yep: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cytozone)
    Some Universities suggest:

"A level Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics are essential. If available, Further Mathematics is also desirable."
    I agree. This is spot on, if your having difficulties with maths you should do physics instead of economics and hopefully u'd be able to take another degree route and do maths classes alongside your degree (but you will be expected to preform extremely well in these subjects!)

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't intent on doing AL Maths, you should aim for a Chemistry (not Chemical Engineering) course. That way the maths part will be much less.

From what I've read about the Chemistry course on Uni websites, they mostly require Chemistry and one other Science subject at A levels. So your subjects will fit in for that.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like maths then don't do engineering. Maths makes up 70% of the degree and then its mostly physics with a tiny bit of chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Chemical ENGINEERING...

I'd do Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    if i changed economics to physics; how would that be?
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    History

obviously, i'm willing to put the work in; three subjects they i like, one that's not so bad (physics, but i can catch up during the summer beforehand) :p:

yeah physics is a good option. To be very honest i think you should drop biology/history and trade it for maths because they are hardly going to be of much use to you later. I have a friend whose doing chem eng, from what he tells me you'll study alot of physics and maths, hardly any chemistry and considerable amount of economics.

Have a look at the universities you wish to apply for what A'levels they need.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.