The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kiss_me_now9
Passed :woo:

15 passes,
15 merits anddddd
33 distinctions :biggrin:

(Does that make a distinction overall?)

If you want to think of it that way, then yes. In reality there is no overall grade; you should receive a transcript in the post which lists all your units and grades.
LeonLorenzo
If you want to think of it that way, then yes. In reality there is no overall grade; you should receive a transcript in the post which lists all your units and grades.

Yep, I have that :smile:
Reply 242
kiss_me_now9
Yep, I have that :smile:

What has your university asked for??

You ave achieved 48 credits at merit or above, but not at distinction.
Rakas21
What has your university asked for??

You ave achieved 48 credits at merit or above, but not at distinction.

Just to pass the course. But surely it's 33 credits at distinction?
Reply 244
Yes, 33 credits at distinction. But not 33 distinctions, there is a big difference!

kiss_me_now9
Just to pass the course. But surely it's 33 credits at distinction?
MikeyS
Yes, 33 credits at distinction. But not 33 distinctions, there is a big difference!

Hey Mikey,

I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind. I've just finished Access this year with 54 level 3 credits at Distinction, 3 at merit, and 3 level 2 credits. I'd like to study BSC Economics at one of the universities in Loughboroughs TAELT category (I'm assuming you are familiar with PaulWhys Thread) and I'm wondering what your offer was. A problem for me is that I only decided I wanted to do a BSC, as opposed to a BA, near the end of my course and now find myself without the required Mathematical background.

So,
What was your offer?
What subjects did you study on Access?

Thanks in advance,
Leon
Reply 246
Hi mate,

Would be a pleasure to help you out here. I myself did not have a mathematical background, and was therefore limited in the Universities I was able to apply for. I too applied for a number of BA courses, but in the end went for the BSc. I also have almost identical access results to you; you'll get into almost any uni accepting the access diploma with that IMO. The highest offer I had, was 75% distinctions from Nottingham.

My offer for Loughborough was extremely easy, simply pass the course! I don't think this is the standard offer from Loughborough though; I think I was given an easy offer partly due to my performance in the interview, which I felt went well.

Apparently, they interview the best access aplicants. The interviewer seemed suprised I applied for BSc Economics, as my access course was for Business & IT. I was asked a number of simple economic questions at the interview.

At Loughborough, they have additional Maths classes for those studying Economics who do not have MAths A level. I also really liked the campus. What grade do you have at GCSE mathematics? I ask because that may also limit your choices. I think Loughborough only requires a C. I actually wanted to apply for BSc at Nottingham (my offer at Nottingham was for BA management), but they required an A at GCSE (which although I could easily get, I have a B). If you have an A in Maths i'd look into both Durham and Nottingham. Durham also do a special 1 year course to get you onto there BSc programme if you don't have the right qualifications/maths.

There are a good few options out there for you though mate, any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Are you applying for 2011 now then? Or hoping to get in for 2010?

Here are the subjects I had on my access diploma:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LeonLorenzo
Hey Mikey,

I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind. I've just finished Access this year with 54 level 3 credits at Distinction, 3 at merit, and 3 level 2 credits. I'd like to study BSC Economics at one of the universities in Loughboroughs TAELT category (I'm assuming you are familiar with PaulWhys Thread) and I'm wondering what your offer was. A problem for me is that I only decided I wanted to do a BSC, as opposed to a BA, near the end of my course and now find myself without the required Mathematical background.

So,
What was your offer?
What subjects did you study on Access?

Thanks in advance,
Leon
Hi mate,

Would be a pleasure to help you out here. I myself did not have a mathematical background, and was therefore limited in the Universities I was able to apply for. I too applied for a number of BA courses, but in the end went for the BSc. I also have almost identical access results to you; you'll get into almost any uni accepting the access diploma with that IMO. The highest offer I had, was 75% distinctions from Nottingham.

The top unis I will apply to will probably be York and Exeter, then followed by Loughborough, Manchester and another.

I'm hoping that actually applying with the Access grades already in my pocket will help me gain a place.

At Loughborough, they have additional Maths classes for those studying Economics who do not have MAths A level. I also really liked the campus. What grade do you have at GCSE mathematics? I ask because that may also limit your choices. I think Loughborough only requires a C. I actually wanted to apply for BSc at Nottingham (my offer at Nottingham was for BA management), but they required an A at GCSE (which although I could easily get, I have a B). If you have an A in Maths i'd look into both Durham and Nottingham. Durham also do a special 1 year course to get you onto there BSc programme if you don't have the right qualifications/maths.

There are a couple issues, IMO, that will be harmful to my applications. Firstly, I have quite bad GCSE results, which are basically due to never being taught to value education. I have, if I remember rightly, 7 grade C's (Inc. English, Maths and Science)and 2 grade D's. I'm currently working through the GCSE higher spec. and I'm pretty sure I'll manage an A.

The second negative is probably the subjects I actually studied on Access. I was originally told there would be a business option but very few people on Access chose the pathway so it was scrapped. In the end I studied Law, Sociology, English Language, and Core studies; each for 15 level 3 credits.

There are a good few options out there for you though mate, any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Are you applying for 2011 now then? Or hoping to get in for 2010?

I'm really unsure whether I will get to uni in the next 1,2 or even 3 years... it all depends on what I decide is in my best interests. I was rejected from all of the Universities I was interested in attending this year, which is understandable considering the qualifications I had to my name at the time. I was told by two of them that my Access subjects were not related to the degree and therefore I wouldn't be suitable for acceptance.

This set me thinking that maybe I should self study both Economics and Maths at A-level. Luckily when I was collecting my Access portfolio the Principal of the college was there and my tutors felt the need to introduce me to her. She's offered to help me sort out my options, and I've got a meeting with her on the 15th... She said something about contacting universities for me and 'having a word' because she thinks it would be detrimental to spend time doing A-levels when I've already demonstrated my capability to do academic study to a high level.

So, I suppose when I apply again depends on what I decide my best course of action is: Complete GCSE Maths and apply, complete AS math and apply, or complete A level Math and Economics and apply. The maximum should be three years, but it's a little gutting considering the fact that I thought Access would get me straight in there. My own fault really.

The Loughborough BSC you will be studying: will you be completely brought up to speed with the maths (to A-level standard) or will you be doing less advanced modules than those who have it?

Leon

Reply 248
LeonLorenzo
Hi mate,

The top unis I will apply to will probably be York and Exeter, then followed by Loughborough, Manchester and another.

I'm hoping that actually applying with the Access grades already in my pocket will help me gain a place.

There are a couple issues, IMO, that will be harmful to my applications. Firstly, I have quite bad GCSE results, which are basically due to never being taught to value education. I have, if I remember rightly, 7 grade C's (Inc. English, Maths and Science)and 2 grade D's. I'm currently working through the GCSE higher spec. and I'm pretty sure I'll manage an A.

The second negative is probably the subjects I actually studied on Access. I was originally told there would be a business option but very few people on Access chose the pathway so it was scrapped. In the end I studied Law, Sociology, English Language, and Core studies; each for 15 level 3 credits.

I'm really unsure whether I will get to uni in the next 1,2 or even 3 years... it all depends on what I decide is in my best interests. I was rejected from all of the Universities I was interested in attending this year, which is understandable considering the qualifications I had to my name at the time. I was told by two of them that my Access subjects were not related to the degree and therefore I wouldn't be suitable for acceptance.

This set me thinking that maybe I should self study both Economics and Maths at A-level. Luckily when I was collecting my Access portfolio the Principal of the college was there and my tutors felt the need to introduce me to her. She's offered to help me sort out my options, and I've got a meeting with her on the 15th... She said something about contacting universities for me and 'having a word' because she thinks it would be detrimental to spend time doing A-levels when I've already demonstrated my capability to do academic study to a high level.

So, I suppose when I apply again depends on what I decide my best course of action is: Complete GCSE Maths and apply, complete AS math and apply, or complete A level Math and Economics and apply. The maximum should be three years, but it's a little gutting considering the fact that I thought Access would get me straight in there. My own fault really.

The Loughborough BSC you will be studying: will you be completely brought up to speed with the maths (to A-level standard) or will you be doing less advanced modules than those who have it?

Leon

You can study GCSE's along side A levels to cut down a year, you may even be able to fastrack your A levels in one year.
Reply 249
Exeter is a tough one for access IMO mate, I was also considering applying there but my tutor said they didn't like access students so much. No one from my course applied for economics, but several applied for accounting and were turned down. If you decide to get A levels however, that would be a different story.

Regarding GCSE results, I was in the same boat as you. My GCSE's do not reflect my ability at all. That is why I did the access course; I have a feeling some uni's may be more leniant with GCSE results for mature students such as us.

For BSc Economics @ Loughborough, no we take the same modules as people with the A level Maths. They just run extra maths classes for those without, to get them up to speed with the mathematical content. So the degree is exactly the same, you just have to work a bit harder :smile: I am planning to do a masters after anyway, possibly at a more presitigous Uni.

If I was you, i'd get to Uni asap. I wouldn't worry too much about specific Uni's (as long as you like the one you'll go to), because you can always to a masters at a more prestiguous Uni after (assuming it is the reputation of the Uni you are concerned about).

IMO, A level Economics should be enough to get you in, combined with the access reults you already have. I have done A level Economics and it is very easy; you could easily do it in a year. That may be your easiest option, if your principle cannot help get you into Uni beforehand.

I would strongly consider applying for this course though mate;

http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/socialscience/economics/
LeonLorenzo
Hi mate,

Leon

For BSc Economics @ Loughborough, no we take the same modules as people with the A level Maths. They just run extra maths classes for those without, to get them up to speed with the mathematical content. So the degree is exactly the same, you just have to work a bit harder :smile: I am planning to do a masters after anyway, possibly at a more presitigous Uni.

Going on to do a masters is a definite possibility for me, presuming that I ever get to uni :smile:.

If I was you, i'd get to Uni asap. I wouldn't worry too much about specific Uni's (as long as you like the one you'll go to), because you can always to a masters at a more prestiguous Uni after (assuming it is the reputation of the Uni you are concerned about).

You have a point: I suppose I have some kind of chip on my sholder... something to prove. I just want to give myself the best possible shot.

IMO, A level Economics should be enough to get you in, combined with the access reults you already have. I have done A level Economics and it is very easy; you could easily do it in a year. That may be your easiest option, if your principle cannot help get you into Uni beforehand.

I'm already waiting for a response: It sure would be a nice twist to get in to Durham.

Lots of options beats no options... but I'll be at a loss as to the best ones for me until my meeting on the 15th.

EDIT: I've just had another look at the Durham economics degree and it's referred to as a BA. Any idea if this is an actual BA or are they following the Oxford tradition?
Reply 251
Hi mate,

Regarding the BA @ Durham you are bang on the money; it's just the tradition, as with Oxford & Cambridge.

Cambridge BA Economics, Exeter BA Economics, Durham BA Economics and any Oxford Economics-related BAs are still very quantitative - it is the tradition of these universities that all Oxford, Cambridge and Durham degrees are BAs (even Mathematics and science), whilst it is only tradition for all Exeter undergraduates course in economics to be named a BA.

Source: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

LeonLorenzo

Going on to do a masters is a definite possibility for me, presuming that I ever get to uni :smile:.

You have a point: I suppose I have some kind of chip on my sholder... something to prove. I just want to give myself the best possible shot.

I'm already waiting for a response: It sure would be a nice twist to get in to Durham.

Lots of options beats no options... but I'll be at a loss as to the best ones for me until my meeting on the 15th.

EDIT: I've just had another look at the Durham economics degree and it's referred to as a BA. Any idea if this is an actual BA or are they following the Oxford tradition?
Reply 252
Anybody know when the diplomas are sent out?

Just wondering because the uni I applied for (King's College London) wants to receive a copy/scan of it before the end of August.

Do you think we'll receive it by then?
JRLapada
Anybody know when the diplomas are sent out?

Just wondering because the uni I applied for (King's College London) wants to receive a copy/scan of it before the end of August.

Do you think we'll receive it by then?

They come out about 2 weeks before A levels.
Im still waiting for my confirmation of results as is everyone else who did the Access course at my college ... tick tick tock and im needing to scan the results to send to MMU to confirm ive met the condition of my offer
Reply 255
I have no idea if passed my course or not. Just waiting. Really nervous since I know every one else has passed.
Reply 256
Sir_Vile_Minds
They come out about 2 weeks before A levels.

Thanks! If that's so, there's no need for me to worry then.
MikeyS

Thanks for all the help and advice thus far Mikey. I do have a couple more questions though:o:.

Could you recommend any reading that would help me gain an overview of the material that would be covered at uni? I don't know much economic theory to date. Up until now my own personal study has been in to financial markets, specifically the Foreign Exchange market and then the spin offs from that (Central Banks, some politics, hedge-funds and financial-market participants in general, and the instruments which affect the ForEx: options, futures, commodities) because my aim was/is speculation. I'm sure if It entry comes down to interview I will be able to impress a little with this knowledge, but it's only a small part of what economics is about... I wouldn't want to solely come across as prospective world destroyer.

So: Recommended reading?
and also out of interest: Do you expect there to be much essay writing involved in economics at degree level? Or are you expecting more long maths questions? I can, but prefer not to, regurgitate memorised facts in essays... I prefer to be working something out.

Regards, Leon
Reply 258
The questions you'd be asked at an interview would be very basic, A level type standard; just getting hold of a simple A level economics book or revision guide would arm you with the basic knowledge needed to answer any of the basic questions you may be asked, if interviewed.

If you're concerned about getting up to speed on the maths, have a read of this thread. I made it a while ago, there are a couple of books that people recommended for this purpose on there. I am planning on getting hold of one myself before starting in Oct.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23972511#post23972511

BA's (unless from Durham, Oxbridge etc) are likely to be more essay based, where as the BSc is more mathetmatical, although I suspect there will be some essay writing involved as well. You'd probably get a better answer to this question on the Economics forum though mate, as someone who has started their degree would be in a better position to advise you.

LeonLorenzo

Thanks for all the help and advice thus far Mikey. I do have a couple more questions though:o:.

Could you recommend any reading that would help me gain an overview of the material that would be covered at uni? I don't know much economic theory to date. Up until now my own personal study has been in to financial markets, specifically the Foreign Exchange market and then the spin offs from that (Central Banks, some politics, hedge-funds and financial-market participants in general, and the instruments which affect the ForEx: options, futures, commodities) because my aim was/is speculation. I'm sure if It entry comes down to interview I will be able to impress a little with this knowledge, but it's only a small part of what economics is about... I wouldn't want to solely come across as prospective world destroyer.

So: Recommended reading?
and also out of interest: Do you expect there to be much essay writing involved in economics at degree level? Or are you expecting more long maths questions? I can, but prefer not to, regurgitate memorised facts in essays... I prefer to be working something out.

Regards, Leon
jojospacemunky
no worries -- just make sure you follow that and develop your understanding and learning along the way anything unsure of dont be afraid to ask your tutors and in some instance you may be able to give a draft submission to see if you are heading the the right direction ... i totally wasnt expecting a distinction on my unit 3 (long study assignment) of my study skills as i went off what i was generally aiming to do but i brought it round full circle ... so i surprised myself there with that, i got a distinction in my unit 4 study skills which was a presentation on a topic of my choosing other than that i only achieved distinctions in my Business modules :smile:
But i have still achieved the 60 credits to attain the full HE diploma and meet the conditions of my offer which was simply to pass the course for University :smile: I wasnt told Pass/Merit/Distinction in this and this area :smile:

thanks for the explanation jojospacemunky.I have already e-mailed the universities i would like to apply to next year and there have all said i need to achieve a distinction overall.I know the access course has now changed to be graded so not only are potential universities asking for a recognised access course in what ever subject area but there also wanted it to be graded as well lol:yep:

Latest