Turn on thread page Beta

Should I drop out of college because of an eating disorder? watch

Anon or delete please.

I’m finding college really hard because of my eating disorder and I think I may have to drop out (but I really, really don’t want to)

Under the circumstances I’m quite a high achieving student so my mum keeps saying it would be a waste to drop out. I want to go to university but my dad says there’s no point because I’ll only get ill again and waste money. They both have opposing views. Neither of them take my eating seriously either, they’re aware of how ill I am, yet they just say stuff like ‘I bring it on myself’ and ‘I deserve it because I’m doing it to myself’.

I have always had dreams of independence and a career in psychology, but I can’t come home without feeling knackered. I can’t concentrate and read anything without my eyes going blurry, my head is always pounding. Though I have been trying and putting on weight (my bmi is currently 16.0) I still find everything very hard because of concentration.

I take History, Philosophy, English Lit, Psychology and Critical Thinking – two of them require a lot of work so I’m not sure whether I could self-teach like how I did at GCSE.
    I’m not sure whether to stay at college or just drop out. Advice please?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.