Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford and Cambridge watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I heard somewhere that you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year . Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    yep

ReputationRep:
    absolutely true.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, unless you're are an organ scholar, chorister, or applying for senior status (i.e. second undergraduate degree).

ReputationRep:
    Since your chances of an offer from either are, as much as is possible, identical, why would you apply to both anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that sucks so much.

Whats an organ scholar?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dannylj)
    Thanks, that sucks so much.

Whats an organ scholar?
    A musician who plays the college organ during choral services.

ReputationRep:
    kk thanks.

ReputationRep:
    They are so few and far between that they tend to get pretty decent deals to go to Oxbridge. I hear (though it may just be a rumour) that at some Oxford Colleges if you are the Organ scholar you get your own butler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndiePixie)
    Yes, unless you're are an organ scholar, chorister, or applying for senior status (i.e. second undergraduate degree).
    Choristers can't apply to both.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BJack)
    Choristers can't apply to both.
    Sorry, I was under the impression that both choral and organ scholars could apply to both as the application is on the same form (for Cambridge at least). I just checked and you're right - it is just the organ scholars... and only those organ scholars not applying to study medicine :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norby)
    They are so few and far between that they tend to get pretty decent deals to go to Oxbridge. I hear (though it may just be a rumour) that at some Oxford Colleges if you are the Organ scholar you get your own butler
    I'm fairly sure that's just a rumour, although they do get a pretty good deal - with some colleges giving them the higher quality accomodation for very little, along with other 'bonus'-type rewards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Game_boy)
    Since your chances of an offer from either are, as much as is possible, identical, why would you apply to both anyway?
    someone doesn't understand basic probability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    I suppose the point being poorly made was that if you don't get into one, you probably wouldn't get into the other. Importantly if you could apply to both, an awful lot of people would do, so your chance of being accepted by either wouldn't really be any greater — we would expect broadly the same people to be accepted any way.

ReputationRep:
    As BJack said, the probabilities are not independent of each other. Although I suppose if you're a borderline candidate then you could benefit from applying to both.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean 'chance', I was being informal. I meant, the standard of applicant they will give offers to is effectively the same. So applying to both won't make it more likely you will recieve an offer, because they will accept/reject the same people in principle (of course it won't be perfectly aligned).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Game_boy)
    I don't mean 'chance', I was being informal. I meant, the standard of applicant they will give offers to is effectively the same. So applying to both won't make it more likely you will recieve an offer, because they will accept/reject the same people in principle (of course it won't be perfectly aligned).
    Not true. In most cases the courses differ, sometimes wildly so (NatSci vs. Physics, for instance). Therefore, some candidates might be more suited to one course than the other, so more likely to receive an offer at one than at the other.

Also, you could always have a total blank in your interview- it's much less likely that this will happen twice...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AlexG55)
    Not true. In most cases the courses differ, sometimes wildly so (NatSci vs. Physics, for instance). Therefore, some candidates might be more suited to one course than the other, so more likely to receive an offer at one than at the other.
    Hmm, that's a fair point. On the other hand, though, if everybody were allowed to apply to both, I'd imagine that effect would be watered down, simply because the overall risk that there are too many candidates who are just as good as you or better would increase...:dontknow:
    Also, you could always have a total blank in your interview- it's much less likely that this will happen twice...
    That's why people are usually given more than one interview already, though, no?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexG55)
    As I have an offer for NatSci, and my application (personal statement, SAQ, interview questions asked) was entirely focused on Physics, I don't think so. They're looking for the same qualities in a Cam Natural Scientist as a Oxford Physicist, it's just whether the applicant prefers the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmm, that's a fair point. On the other hand, though, if everybody were allowed to apply to both, I'd imagine that effect would be watered down, simply because the overall risk that there are too many candidates who are just as good as you or better would increase...:dontknow:

That's why people are usually given more than one interview already, though, no?:confused:
    Doing poorly on one interview can put you in a bad mindset for another. I know my Cambridge interviews were much better than my Oxford interviews--I had more of a rapport with the interviewer and just generally enjoyed the process more. (Not to say I wasn't challenged at Cambridge--I was--but I didn't feel like they were having a go at me.)

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.