The Student Room Group

Contacts and going out

Hey

I recently started wearing contacts and got around to thinking what would i do if i went out and ended up staying at someone elses over night which wasnt planned. What would i do with my contacts as all my stuff for keeping and cleaning them are at home.

Any advice from those in these situations ? ?
I'm currently on specsavers contact account and get solution and that weird cylinder thing to clean them with ? ?

I have monthly contacts so I couldn''t jsut take them out and throw them away that night etc and cant sleep with them. I value my eyesight

Many thanks
Jacobdatz
Reply 1
You have to plan these things.
Reply 2
Can't you just get daily disposables? There is a lower risk of infection anyway and you can always carry a spare pair with you and antibacterial handwash to put them in. Should be possible unless you have really akward eyesight.
Wear disposables if you're going out and are worried about this. If not carry the stuff.
Reply 4
Take the wee tub with you, with new solution in it. It isn't hard to pop them out and back in (unsless you're well plastered)

I have slept with contacts in before. You wake up and everything is cloudy lol.
Reply 5
Got the same issue, astigmatism means its practically impossible to get disposables where I live, I just carry a small contacts case filled with multipurpose solution when I go out.

When im about to sleep I just wash my hands and pop em out
In the morning I wash my hands, dunk em in the solution in the case so theyre nice and wet, and just put em into your eye like usual, no worries, never had an issue doing this.

The case im talking about is like this btw:
http://www.otismaxwell.com/gallery/contactlenscases.jpg

But a bit smaller, each eye is about the size of a £1 coin and it fits easily into jeans/jacket pockets. If youre feeling fancy you can also carry around a little bottle of antibacterial handwash, but I wouldnt bother, the multipurpose solution is quite a powerful antiseptic and its not hard to find soap, hell, half the girls I know carry around those little Dettol gel antibacterial things anyways :biggrin:

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 6
Get daily disposables, specificaly easy vision Vusion elites. You can wear them for more than 24hrs, I've regularly worn them for longer and my eyesight hasn't worsened.
sleep in them. and just clean them the next day when you get home, and probably give your eyes a days rest from them.

OR YOU COULD BE AWESOME like me. and get extended wear contacts. i can wear mine for 30 days at a time. like literally put them in at the beginning of the month, and not have to take them out till the end. actually amazing
Reply 8
People are waaay too paranoid about eye stuff :/ I've had contacts for a good 5 or 6 years, always been the monthlies, and I treat them like **** basically. if I'm at home I'll put them in proper solution each night but I've slept in them before at parties. If you really don't want to sleep with them in then borrow two glasses of water and put one in each and remember which is which if you have different left and right contacts. It feels a little uncomfortable when you put them back in but it soon clears. I haven't actually cleaned my lenses in about 4 years though, although I obviously I change them each month. Never had an eye infection either. I'm one of those people of the opinion that you get dirty and your body deals with it. Carrying handwash is both bad for your hands and bad for your immune system :/
Reply 9
didgeridoo12uk
sleep in them. and just clean them the next day when you get home, and probably give your eyes a days rest from them.

OR YOU COULD BE AWESOME like me. and get extended wear contacts. i can wear mine for 30 days at a time. like literally put them in at the beginning of the month, and not have to take them out till the end. actually amazing

how much do extended contacts usually cost cos i pay about £10 a month now
Jacobdatz

bout 15 i think, depends on the make, how many months you buy them for etc etc etc

and i bear in mind you'll be buying much much less cleaning solution
Reply 11
didgeridoo12uk
bout 15 i think, depends on the make, how many months you buy them for etc etc etc

and i bear in mind you'll be buying much much less cleaning solution

£10 a month instead of £15 i might stick with monthlys i've got and spend a little on a case i saw which can carry some quick clean stuff i got for free :P thanks for your help

£10 gives me the contacts and a bottle of solution so not too bad
Nuffles
People are waaay too paranoid about eye stuff :/ I've had contacts for a good 5 or 6 years, always been the monthlies, and I treat them like **** basically. if I'm at home I'll put them in proper solution each night but I've slept in them before at parties. If you really don't want to sleep with them in then borrow two glasses of water and put one in each and remember which is which if you have different left and right contacts. It feels a little uncomfortable when you put them back in but it soon clears. I haven't actually cleaned my lenses in about 4 years though, although I obviously I change them each month. Never had an eye infection either. I'm one of those people of the opinion that you get dirty and your body deals with it. Carrying handwash is both bad for your hands and bad for your immune system :/

theres bacteria in that water which can eat your cornea... i think i'd prefer to not do that. and just because it hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't mean it won't.
Reply 13
Jacobdatz

Have a look here for daily disposables - http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/. I pay £13.98 for a months worth, and there are probably cheaper ones available from there because my ones are for more sensitive eyes with higher water content. Because you don't need to buy solution, it probably works out the same price anyway.

Edit - Sorry didn't read your previous post.
Daya
Can't you just get daily disposables? There is a lower risk of infection anyway and you can always carry a spare pair with you and antibacterial handwash to put them in. Should be possible unless you have really akward eyesight.

LOL at carrying antibacterial handwash.
Tbh I've slept with contacts in a couple of times when I just KO'ed without thinking and my eyesight is fine. I had an eyetest just a couple weeks ago.

So if worst comes to worst you could probs just sleep in them lol. I tend to have contacts as a must have thing before I go out, along with tampons and condoms (Y)
After drunken nights I usually end up sleeping with them, I try not to, but I haven't found anything bad happen yet.
Reply 17
didgeridoo12uk
theres bacteria in that water which can eat your cornea... i think i'd prefer to not do that. and just because it hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't mean it won't.

There's bacteria under your fingernails, but you still put them in your mouth. Bacteria aren't the be all and end all of life and you need to learn to live with them else you'll be pretty crippled in the real world. I've been doing what I'm doing for years and with contacts in I have better than 20/20 vision. Although, saying that, I'm the kinda guy that'll eat stuff off the floor if I know where its come from (i.e. one of my friends drops something that instantly becomes untouchable because it's touched the ground). I'm still alive, with swine flu, several pretty awesome scars and several hours of surgery under my belt.

edit: Oh and I nibble at my fingernails to save me from cutting them (nibbling as to keep them in check rather than down to the quick) which is meant to be worse, bacteria wise, than licking a toilet seat :awesome:
I was told by my opticians never to put my contacts in contact with water, like swimming or a shower and stuff. I once got conjuntivitis, and I was told it may have been caused by that (and sleeping).. but meh.

Latest

Trending

Trending