Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A major problem I'm having, can't concentrate because... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I keep thinking what the girls in the class are thinking of me and I've totally had enough of it. I just want to get to university, but if I keep on going like this I'm going to crash and burn. Why can't my mind just concentrate on what the lecturer is saying? Even when I look at the board and at the lecturer my mind is still going over what they 'might' be thinking or 'if' they are looking at me. Please also note I have very little confidence and I am extremely shy.

How do I stop this? I just want to get on and graduate, but I know if I keep on going like this, it's the absolute end for me. Having a girlfriend is not of importance to me yet, I want my degree!!! I bet the first thing that comes to your mind is, 'loser' or 'gay'? Well you try failing all your god damn life with way below average grades and then come lecture me.

Someone help me out of this. I've been through therapy (CBT), countless other things, I regularly jog 1 hour each day but I'm still in the same situation before I started any CBT or excercise. Has anyone else been through a similar situation. I'm currently on Anti-depressants, have been on them for 5 days, don't feel any different, not really expecting to. I'm on them to reduce the amount of brain power I use on the ridiculous thoughts hah.

By the way I might as well introduce myself,this is me;
    By the way if you feel the need to curse or say something nasty, go ahead, really doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy it.
    Decided to take pic off as it does not comply with yoyo.

ReputationRep:
    Erm..

ReputationRep:
    I like your wall.

ReputationRep:
    yea.....

your problem is your own problem. people judge you all the time, strangers down the street will make a split second opinion on you without even talking to you. so yea....these...girls....and boys in ur classes will have an opinion on you but i dought there thinking bout you all the time...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banter)
    yea.....

your problem is your own problem. people judge you all the time, strangers down the street will make a split second opinion on you without even talking to you. so yea....these...girls....and boys in ur classes will have an opinion on you but i dought there thinking bout you all the time...lol
    Yes thats correct, it's not like I believe the thoughts or deem them to be correct, its just I can't get them out. Know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PraxxtorCruel)
    Yes thats correct, it's not like I believe the thoughts or deem them to be correct, its just I can't get them out. Know what I mean?
    so are you just worried about the impression they have on you now? and why are you more worried about what the girls think then about everybody?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banter)
    so are you just worried about the impression they have on you now?
    Yeah something like that. It is pretty much everybody including the guys, but mainly the girls because I find it easier to get on with guys than girls.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to get to university, but if I keep on going like this I'm going to crash and burn. Why can't my mind just concentrate on what the lecturer is saying?

How do I stop this? I just want to get on and graduate....
    So, are you at uni or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrmondDrone)
    So, are you at uni or not...
    Thanks for pointing that out, I know I messed up that part. No I am currently finishing this year of college to get to UNI.

Would you say you have a lot of friends? ( not being harsh )
    Do you get out a lot ? (once again not being harsh )

If you say no to either of these that might be part of the problem, im no psychiatrist but IMO i think that people just need to put themselves out of their comfort zones and just do things with other people.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for pointing that out, I know I messed up that part. No I am currently finishing this year of college to get to UNI.
    Go to Oxford or Cambridge - you don't need to go to lectures and your tutorials are 1-2-1 with your academic tutor so no girly distractions (unless your tutor's a babe which is rather unlikely). Sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you say you have a lot of friends? ( not being harsh )
    Do you get out a lot ? (once again not being harsh )

If you say no to either of these that might be part of the problem, im no psychiatrist but IMO i think that people just need to put themselves out of their comfort zones and just do things with other people.
    Q1 = Nop
    Q2 = Nop

You're right, I should do that. Maybe another 20 years of solitude and I should have enough confidence to leave my front yard.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Oxford or Cambridge - you don't need to go to lectures and your tutorials are 1-2-1 with your academic tutor so no girly distractions (unless your tutor's a babe which is rather unlikely). Sorted
    1) Good luck with not turning up to any lectures
    2) Tutorials are nearly always 2:1 or bigger. 1:1 can get awkward.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I can tell you'd love that. 1 TO 1 WITH A BABE :woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    obvious troll or your really messed up in the head, youve contradicted yourself so many times in your post, first you want to go uni then you want to graduate next you say you worry what people say and you shy then you say you dont mind what people say and then post a pic..more effort next time friend..

ReputationRep:
    haaa imagine if it was a seriously hot lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah something like that. It is pretty much everybody including the guys, but mainly the girls because I find it easier to get on with guys than girls.
    well how would you describe yourself to us? and be honest

and then tell us what people in your class say or think about you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    1) Good luck with not turning up to any lectures
    Worked okay for Bill Clinton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    obvious troll or your really messed up in the head, youve contradicted yourself so many times in your post, first you want to go uni then you want to graduate next you say you worry what people say and you shy then you say you dont mind what people say and then post a pic..more effort next time friend..
    Okay, I'm a troll? What exactly does that even mean? I didn't realize you get marked upon whatever you type in this forum. Thank you, I'll take that advice in for next time.

ReputationRep:
    Is your sofa comfortable?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.