Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, am taking french A level, but am not sure what langauge combination to carry on?

French and Russian

OR

Russian and Serbian and Croatian

Serbian and Croatian are interesting, but i am already quite competatn in French. Would it be possible to work for the EU with French and Russian, or do you need to know two offical EU langauges?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure French and Russian are two very official EU languages. I would say to keep doing French and Russian, and then one of the others maybe? (If it's possible.. )

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for French and Russian, are you talking about which languages to do for a degree? I would think it would be very demanding doing 2 from scratch. And French and Russian are official EU languages (I'm pretty sure), plus probably more useful in most jobs generally.

ReputationRep:
    Russian is not an EU language. Neither are Serbian or Croatian, but there's a fair chance Croatia will join the EU in the relatively near future. I don't know about all EU jobs, but to be a translator I know you need two EU languages (besides your native one).

ReputationRep:
    If you already speak english then you just need french.

Russian will be mighty helpful. Serbian and croatian less so.

ReputationRep:
    Something simple and friendly usually works..

"Hi, I think I've seen you in the library. Are you doing Law?" No? What then?

Then let her talk about her subject.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry - that was meant to be a reply to something else!!

ReputationRep:
    The UN are short of people speaking Russian and French, so that would be a very good combination. Also, chances are your degree will let you study a niche language like Czech, Serbian, Polish or anything remotely related to Russian, so you could open your horizons on European languages. However, as said before, you won't be able to work for the EU with Russian, which is why have niche languages would be interesting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.