Turn on thread page Beta

Grade 8 piano sight reading and aural test techniques watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I find grade 8 piano pieces and scales relatively easier to do well, as the main concept is just practice! But does anyone has techniques/skills for sight reading and aural tests? For sight reading exam, you are given 30 seconds to skim through the music, therefore undoubtedly hard to take into account of everything says on the music. For the aural test, you get to test on musical knowledge and music history etc, but I have no idea where to learn those things.

I was wondering whether there were some websites/books for sight reading and aural tests techniques. If not, those of you doing the exam soon, we could discuss on here

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    sight reading - sorry, but practice practice practice.
    that is the only way to improve.
    Then always look out for the things that get you extra marks, tempo markings and dynamics.

Even just sight reading pop or jazz will improve your skills - do what interests you so you do more of it.

Aural tests...my advice is guess ! I'm no help here

ReputationRep:
    This helped my son with his aural when he did grade 8 cello last term
    https://www.hofnote.com/index.asp

Sightreading - try and identify chunks of scales and arpeggios within the music rather than individual notes. Keep going, don't stop if you make mistakes. Use the time the examiner gives you to practise in the exam - try to get through the whole piece in this time rather than perfect just a bit of it. The sightreading will be about equivalent to a grade 5 or 6 piece, so just dig out some of your old music and try a new piece every day.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sight reading undoubtedly the best thing to do is practice! Practice, practice, practice! A few months before my Grade 6 piano exam, I could not sight-read whatsoever as I hadn't taken any exams before. I still continued to learn my pieces by learning each hand's part individually and then piecing them together, which is of course AWFUL, but after a few months of everyday practice of increasingly difficult sight-reading exercises, I got myself up to a Grade 6 level. The books you should get beyond doubt are the ABRSM Specimen Sightreading Tests and the Faber "Improve your Sight Reading" books

As for Aural Tests, you'll definitely need a teacher with you.

The book me and my teacher used was "Aural Time". There are also Specimen Aural Tests, but I haven't used those personally. Aural Time was VERY good though.

And I'm also going to be applying to use a site called Hofnote to help with Aural training, on my teacher's recommendation.
    http://www.hofnote.com/

Good luck with Grade 8 piano. I'm about to start working towards it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Sight reading undoubtedly the best thing to do is practice! Practice, practice, practice! A few months before my Grade 6 piano exam, I could not sight-read whatsoever as I hadn't taken any exams before. I still continued to learn my pieces by learning each hand's part individually and then piecing them together, which is of course AWFUL, but after a few months of everyday practice of increasingly difficult sight-reading exercises, I got myself up to a Grade 6 level. The books you should get beyond doubt are the ABRSM Specimen Sightreading Tests and the Faber "Improve your Sight Reading" books

As for Aural Tests, you'll definitely need a teacher with you.

The book me and my teacher used was "Aural Time". There are also Specimen Aural Tests, but I haven't used those personally. Aural Time was VERY good though.

And I'm also going to be applying to use a site called Hofnote to help with Aural training, on my teacher's recommendation.
    http://www.hofnote.com/

Good luck with Grade 8 piano. I'm about to start working towards it!
    Thanks for your help.
    Oh yeah, I got both books, but I think for sight reading, that book is never enough! They got limited pieces to practise with.
    Do you have that Improve your sight reading' black book? How does it help?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    That hofnotes website, can the student register individually for free, or does your teacher have to sign up?
    Once again, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Just went on that hofnotes website, you do have to pay. If anyone actually went on the courses there, content wise, are they similar to the ABRSM aural time book, or is it completely different. The book cover which innerhollow has shown. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter what grade you sightread (as long as it's not ridiculously easy), just keep going at it and ALWAYS keep going, don't falter and stop. You'll get more points for staying in tempo with the right gist of notes rather than stopping and starting trying to nail all the notes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks people

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I've borrowed 'Improve your sight reading' GRADE 7 tho from the local library. They didn't have grade 8. Do you guys reckon I could just use grade 7 book as a reference, even tho I am doing grade 8? Just with slight difference? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Any practice is better than nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Any practice is better than nothing
    Haha fair enough, think it's too late to buy a grade 8 one from online!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    Haha fair enough, think it's too late to buy a grade 8 one from online!
    When's the exam?
    Any preparation is still better than none, and the grade 7 stuff won't fully prepare you for grade 8 (it's hard stuff!)

The CD's for it I found quite useful :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    When's the exam?
    Any preparation is still better than none, and the grade 7 stuff won't fully prepare you for grade 8 (it's hard stuff!)

The CD's for it I found quite useful :yep:
    26th March - yeah I know, I am dreading
    CD for what sorry? The pieces?

Btw for scales, you know you have to play chromatic scales in minor third apart, how many pairs are there? I thought was 12?? Or more? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone?? For scales, you know you have to play chromatic scales in minor third apart, how many pairs are there? I thought was 12?? Or more? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Look on the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hi people. Does anyone of you do the exam in March/April which is SOOOOOOOOO soon???!!! I am dreading! I am only confident(fairly in scales and pieces), my sight reading and aural test is rubbish!
    Also, anyone doing the Bach XII piece?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    Hi people. Does anyone of you do the exam in March/April which is SOOOOOOOOO soon???!!! I am dreading! I am only confident(fairly in scales and pieces), my sight reading and aural test is rubbish!
    Also, anyone doing the Bach XII piece?
    Thanks!
    I'm doing grade eight piano on thursday, and I'm just like you- my weaknesses are definitely aural and sight reading. On grades 1 to 7 I have never passed the sight reading despite using all the books etc.
    for Aural I have this really good small book called "aural test survival book" that really helps, has lots of advice for all parts of the test.
    I'm not confident at all about passing, I sprained my wrist a week ago which really set back my practicing and my pieces are only just coming together with 2 days to go:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    I'm doing grade eight piano on thursday, and I'm just like you- my weaknesses are definitely aural and sight reading. On grades 1 to 7 I have never passed the sight reading despite using all the books etc.
    for Aural I have this really good small book called "aural test survival book" that really helps, has lots of advice for all parts of the test.
    I'm not confident at all about passing, I sprained my wrist a week ago which really set back my practicing and my pieces are only just coming together with 2 days to go:eek:
    Oh no! Maybe you should explain the situation to your examine if it won't be recovered by then. I am sure we will be fine! Good luck to us!
    'aural test survival book'? for grade 8? Never heard it haha. I may borrow it from the library as it's too late to buy one now .
    Thank you for your reply

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.