Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am considering a career in maths (finance) or law. For A level i was going to do maths, chemistry, history and spanish...however, I was wondering if not doing a level biology would limit my career options a lot if i decide not to do law or maths? e.g. can you do pharmacy without a level biology? By the way I haven't done gcse physics but I do maths, ad maths, full course chemistry and full course biology...and if I should do biology then what subject should I replace it with? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well which career are you actually looking for?finance,law or pharmacy? Personally I wish I've never picked biology, but if you are really good at go for it!then replace it for spanish but keep history to show your diversity

ReputationRep:
    i don't really know at the moment i am thinking more about law but do you really need particular subjects for law?

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely do Pharmacy without A Level Biology, as long as you have Chemistry.The only career you may be limited without at least AS Biology would be Medicine, but saying that, there are universities that offer places for Medicine without Biology.I definitely wouldn't worry about not having Biology limiting your career options as it is usually a supplementary subject taken alongside something like Chemistry to get a place in something such as Medicine.If you are really worried however, you could take Biology just at AS and if you feel like it's not for you you can always drop it and keep the other 3 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of law you can really study any of those courses. A language would be a good advantage if you are able to achieve a high level of fluency by the end of University, especially if you would like to work for in an international law firm.

I am not sure if you are aware but there is actually no need to study law at university in order to be a lawyer. In fact around half of trainees in the best firms are from non-law backgrounds. They come with the advantage of having a whole extra skill set and the law conversion course (GDL) only takes one year.

With this in mind I would recommend doing the subjects you like best, as it is very important you get the best possible grades you can, and people usually do better in subjects they enjoy. If you want to be a lawyer you will need excellent A levels, mainly because it is just so very competetive so work hard!

Jack

ReputationRep:
    biology is really straightforward, esp. at AS level. probably easier than the languages, but that depends on you

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.