Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Inner ear problem and now stress! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I've been off from university for the last week. I didn't know what was wrong with me but I've felt proper ill the last week and we've finally concluded it's an inner ear problem.

This has caused dizziness, drowsiness, sickness, etc. I've been off as I travel for an hour into university and travel has made the dizziness worse.

The problem is that having a week off may be causing me stress. I've got an essay in on Thursday and a group assessment next week to deal with. In my mind being at home is causing more stress and so when I try to sleep it off I can feel my heartbeat in my head and I've got breathing patterns of someone that sounds anxious. I can't sleep having the university work in the back of my mind and it's adding to making me feel sick.

My ECG test for my heart isn't until Friday but the doctors have done routine tests on it and not found anything wrong so I think it might stress.

I just feel I'm in a Catch 22 situation as I travelled into university on Friday and didn't feel right with the ear infection which in turn has made me more anxious.

The doctors can only give me something to help with the travel but at home I'm just trying to sleep it off.

Has anyone been in this dilemma. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I've missed a lot of uni due to illness. The university will understand. I have a presentatin due tomorrow, and I've been off for almost five days so I just explained that to the uni.

You have to not let yourself get so worked up about these things, universities are used to people be unable to come in for whatever reason and will make allowances for that so long as your doctor can show you were ill. If you are that worried, ask your tutor for an extention on your work so you can stop worrying about it and get some rest.

You will find it a LOT harder to get better if you are stressed all the time, this is out of your control so just accept it.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't sleep, you can get some pills to help with that. As long as you don't have lots of work to do or never took some before.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.