The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Past Papers, example answers, example essays, knowing your texts inside out, reading articles, become naturally analytical via words...go through the past papers and see who the writers are, and try and find other articles that they have written, work work work, good time managment, constant feedback and practice!
Reply 2
The best things to be looking at for Higher English are the comment and opinion sections.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree
Reply 3
Yeh, people seem to find English really difficult. I really can't understand why! Personally, I always found the subject enjoyable and - to put my head on the line, here - easy.

Practice certainly does make perfect. Try to learn your texts inside out, develop a large vocabulary and work on always referring back to the question (an area in which most candidates fail!)
Last year I failed my higher english prelim but ended up getting an A at the end of the day. :P

Just work at it I suppose, reading newspapers, Saturday newspapers are good like the Guardian, good old broadsheets, know your texts, practice and practice your essays and the close reading book is really good by colin eckford.

Latest

Trending

Trending