Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

salary question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whats the starting salay at the big four accountanct firms around about and how much does it rise to under what conditions (time span etc). Also can anyone working in these companies tell me what its like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Whats the starting salay at the big four accountanct firms around about and how much does it rise to under what conditions (time span etc). Also can anyone working in these companies tell me what its like?
    About £27k/annum in audit in London. Slightly higher in Pwc/Deloitte strat. consulting service lines.

About £21k/annum in audit outside London.

When you are ACA-qualified it can rise to nearly £60k/annum.

Disclaimer: I'm starting as a sales & trading analyst at an IB so I'm not necessarily the best person to ask.

ReputationRep:
    The search function (or just scrolling back through a few pages) will tell you everything you could possibly want to know about salary at the big 4.

What's it like working for them? Well I can only comment on KPMG but they're a great firm to work for and I have no reason to doubt the other 3, some people struggle to get into the work though. I can genuinely say I enjoy most of my days at work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 86501)
    The search function (or just scrolling back through a few pages) will tell you everything you could possibly want to know about salary at the big 4.

What's it like working for them? Well I can only comment on KPMG but they're a great firm to work for and I have no reason to doubt the other 3, some people struggle to get into the work though. I can genuinely say I enjoy most of my days at work.

How much do you get paid specifically and what chance would someone have with biology bsc bristol uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    About £27k/annum in audit in London. Slightly higher in Pwc/Deloitte strat. consulting service lines.

Disclaimer: I'm starting as a sales & trading analyst at an IB so I'm not necessarily the best person to ask.
    Similar starting figs in Tax with KPMG ;
    £27-28k/annum London/Periphery
    £22k/annum regional

ReputationRep:
    What if it were something like Actuarial/Corporate Finance/Risk etc. rather than the oft-discussed Audit/Tax?
    I'd personally be interested to hear about Actuarial, because that's what my internship is in...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the big 4 pay for internships?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    Does anyone know what the big 4 pay for internships?
    I only know the following:
    In 2010, in London, for the Actuarial and Insurance Solutions internship with Deloitte:

"Your total remuneration will be £23,150 per annum. This will be made up of a core salary of £22,550 and a benefits allowance of £600, (subject to statutory deductions)".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I only know the following:
    In 2010, in London, for the Actuarial and Insurance Solutions internship with Deloitte:

"Your total remuneration will be £23,150 per annum. This will be made up of a core salary of £22,550 and a benefits allowance of £600, (subject to statutory deductions)".
    hmm okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    How much do you get paid specifically and what chance would someone have with biology bsc bristol uni?
    Personal preference (and last time I said it led to annoyed replies!) I don't like to reveal my exact salary, other than to say that what has been posted in this and other threads is pretty accurate. Sorry.

With regards to a biology BSc, yup that won't rule you out. Look at it this way, your degree is part of getting you through the first stage (the online application). If you're predicted at least a 2.1 in your degree then you will be fine at getting past that stage of the online application. If you get through to an interview then your degree is not really relevant.

For the person that asked about the internship, just pro-rate the salary of a first year trainee and that's what interns get paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)

the figures are mostly correct, though ACA qualified in London do not earn £60k/annum straight away, they earn about 40-42k until they are promoted further upwards (this is for audit/tax). I can't say certain for consulting but it maybe bit higher.

Once qualified some choose to leave and hop to IB for £50k product controller jobs or to FO equity research etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!

I just received a offer for a big 4 senior associate position in advisory in london. they're offering me 37k. Is that too little? I'm fully qualified (recently) by the way.

help...don't know if i've been shortchanged.

and yes the "benefits" are less than 1k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizas)
    Hi All!

I just received a offer for a big 4 senior associate position in advisory in london. they're offering me 37k. Is that too little? I'm fully qualified (recently) by the way.

help...don't know if i've been shortchanged.

and yes the "benefits" are less than 1k.
    Is that for London? And if so, which part of Advisory? I heard from a friend of mine that Advisory post qualification (TS, at least) is 43k in London.

ReputationRep:
    Lizas, I said it before on another thread but you are getting rinsed if you accept that in advisory, as a qualified, in a big 4 firm.

An ACA qualified can earn £55k at E&Y apparently, and can earn £60k if they leave straight away for a bank/in house finance team.

I have touted my website on a few of these threads, www.big4gossip.com. Would love it if anyone currently training as an accountant could contribute to it.

I am trying to pull together salaries, opinions and general information that I wish I had known before joining.

ReputationRep:
    p.s. I particularly want to build up the bullsh1t dictionary. So if there are any terms that people regualarly use at work that you hate please add them.

http://www.big4gossip.com/guides/bullsht-dictionary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjdt)
    Lizas, I said it before on another thread but you are getting rinsed if you accept that in advisory, as a qualified, in a big 4 firm.

An ACA qualified can earn £55k at E&Y apparently, and can earn £60k if they leave straight away for a bank/in house finance team.

I have touted my website on a few of these threads, www.big4gossip.com. Would love it if anyone currently training as an accountant could contribute to it.

I am trying to pull together salaries, opinions and general information that I wish I had known before joining.
    Good initiative, although there are some discrepencies from what I can see in the salaries - how many samples have you had measured in determining that that EY is 55k after qualification? It's such a high discrepency relative to other Big 4 that I doubt it is so in reality. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2late)
    Good initiative, although there are some discrepencies from what I can see in the salaries - how many samples have you had measured in determining that that EY is 55k after qualification? It's such a high discrepency relative to other Big 4 that I doubt it is so in reality. :confused:
    Hi 2 late,

Thanks for looking at the site and thanks for your comment. I have been told the E&Y salary on a few occassions and we have received a response confirming it.

It is an outlier, but E&Y don't pay big bonuses. So in the good years in places like KPMG TS, the total remuneration is meant to exceed E&Ys...apparently.

Obviously over the last couple of years most people will have been better off at E&Y.

Don't suppose you feel like completing a salary/firm survey for your firm? Also, let your friends know about the site.......now i'm just being cheeky.

Seriously, thanks for looking.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.