Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, so i graduated in 2009 with a Bsc (hons) in Psychology and im currently looked for psychology related work. Ideally, i would like some clinical experience, as im most interested in either going into clinical or counselling psychology.

Basically just wondering if anyone has any good news stories with regards to employment. Im finding it difficult to get even voluntary work in the mental health sector. Im volunteering as a mental health mentor atm, but it hasn't fully gotten underway, and so far it's just been training. I also contacted Samaritans, but i'm not really sure if this is relevant experience.

I've applied for a lot of Ass.Psy jobs, which appear to be the "caviar" of the psychology graduate world. I don't think i've got much of a chance with my lack of experience. A lot of the social support workers/health advisors/therapists/IAPT trainee/research posts all require approx 1-3yrs in clinical setting experience.

This is all very disheartening, but i mean.. Someone must have been where i was, and looking to get some experience. So, nepotism aside, how did they get this experience?

I've looked into assistant school posts, but really.. is there any point, unless im working within say an Autist/aspergers, or special needs school. And i've looked into support worker at ALzheimers/Dementia related care homes, but this isn't what interests me per se. I am mostly interested in adolescent/adult mental health, and not geriatric. Incidentally, most of the care jobs aren't even related to psychological/therapeutic care, but instead simply involve direct personal care - cleaning, feeding, toiletary needs. I'm not saying this is above me, but really.. is there any relevance or reason why this would help me, other than exposure to those with mental health problems. Even then, its rare to see dementia in those pre-50, which would hopefully be who i was working with as a Clin. Psy.

So yeh, basically, just wondering if anyone can help. It's been a pretty awful past year in terms of job searching, and i'm contemplating almost giving up on a career in psych. (£30,000 debt later..). Despite this, i know there is a door in.. even if it is hard to find (like prince of persia doors) and im just wondering if anyone has had any success.

Thanks a lot guys. Take care.

ReputationRep:
    Unsurprisingly, supply FAR outstrips demand in terms of Psychology graduates.

There's not much else to say other than you're gunna have to be right at the bottom and exploited like hell for a few years before you can even start developing a good application.

Just keep making applications. Seek comfort from ClinPsy and Psyclick with all of the other psych grads.

ReputationRep:
    Try approaching local CAMHS/CMHT offices, and asking for non-paid work experience for an hour a week.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.