Southampton or Reading? Watch

jeg14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i have got an offer from Southampton for Economics and Management Sciences.
i ve also got an offer for straight economics at reading.
Where do you think i should go?
Better uni with only half of course in eco,
or average uni for full course in eco?
Opinions would be appreciated.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jeg14)
i have got an offer from Southampton for Economics and Management Sciences.
i ve also got an offer for straight economics at reading.
Where do you think i should go?
Better uni with only half of course in eco,
or average uni for full course in eco?
Opinions would be appreciated.
Well:
i)What are your post uni objectives?
ii)Why did you apply to a joint degree at Southampton?
iii)Would you like to do straight econ at Southampton?
iv) What is the status of your other uni applications?
jeg14
Rep:
?
I would like to do a masters in Economics.
After stupidly dropping maths at AS with a grade c, I could not apply for straight economics at southampton and applied for eco and finance instead, when their grade requirements increased for maths they offered me eco and management which i accepted.
I have offers from southampton, reading, kent and sussex. I only achieved 3 (high) Bs at AS in Economics, History and Business Studies, and so did not apply to brilliant universities. I would just like to know whether doing course at southampton would allow me to do a masters in eco (considering I do well in the course).
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jeg14)
After stupidly dropping maths at AS with a grade c, I could not apply for straight economics at southampton and applied for eco and finance instead, when their grade requirements increased for maths they offered me eco and management which i accepted.
I have offers from southampton, reading, kent and sussex. I only achieved 3 (high) Bs at AS in Economics, History and Business Studies, and so did not apply to brilliant universities. I would just like to know whether doing course at southampton would allow me to do a masters in eco (considering I do well in the course).
Take a Gap year and do at least AS maths preferably doing the full A level. If you cant do it then maybe switch to straight economics at Southampton, your AS maths will come in handy as you'll already know calculus i would advise you to maybe try and learn A2 calculus over the holidays.

To be honest an Msc in Economics at Cam/LSE wil require a first from your undergrad other unis will accept a 2:1 however as Paulwhy will say, its more dependent on how much econometric and maths youve done as its alot more intensive at msc level so in this regard, regardless of the degree title aim to do as much maths as possible.

After looking at the course it seems that you can make youre econ and finance course quite mathsy so long as you choose the right modules, so in this regard id say change to straight economics if you can but if cant then its alright.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jeg14)
How come you got grade c in AS Maths?
Do you like maths?
Do you understand that at uni econ is more mathematical than at school and becomes increasingly mathematical as you go further?
jeg14
Rep:
?
I do enjoy maths and it was getting a u in C2 (completely underprepared!) which brought my grade down. I have been told about how mathematical economics is at uni and am still keen to do it at uni.
Just unsure on whether to go to Reading and get a solid Eco degree or go to Southampton and get a less joint degree...
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jeg14)
I do enjoy maths and it was getting a u in C2 (completely underprepared!) which brought my grade down. I have been told about how mathematical economics is at uni and am still keen to do it at uni.
What were the other module grades?
Why were you unprepared?
And why did you decide to give up maths rather than resit the C2 module?
jeg14
Rep:
?
B in C1 and B in S1.
I was underprepared because of almost non-existant teacher and focussed too much on the two exams I had the day before. I decided to drop maths at A2 because it was my lowest grade and didn't realize the importance of it for economics at university at the time. :s
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jeg14)
B in C1 and B in S1.
I was underprepared because of almost non-existant teacher and focussed too much on the two exams I had the day before. I decided to drop maths at A2 because it was my lowest grade and didn't realize the importance of it for economics at university at the time. :s
I see.
hmmm.
Are you interested much in Management?
What would you like to do when you finally leave uni?
jeg14
Rep:
?
I dont think I would mind doing management as part of my degree. Could help in the future.
Im unsure of what I would like to do after uni. Maybe employed by a bank in the city. Planning for degree at the moment, as a degree in economics is most probably one of the most highly regarded degrees you can get, so should put me in good position after uni...
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jeg14)
Just unsure on whether to go to Reading and get a solid Eco degree or go to Southampton and get a less joint degree...
tbh, an Economics degree from Reading is unlikely to contain much difficult Maths. I'd be surprised if it went anywhere beyond A Level Maths.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jeg14)
I dont think I would mind doing management as part of my degree. Could help in the future.
I would suggest Southampton then.
jeg14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paulwhy)
I would suggest Southampton then.
thanks for your help
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?