Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wanting to do Chemical Engineering and need advice on Sixth Year subject choice Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am wanting to do Chemical Engineering at Imperial

Here are the subjects I am decided on, and they match the entry requirements for the course:

AH Pure Maths
    AH Chemistry
    AH Physics

However, I'm stuck on what to do for the 4th subject. Here are my options

AH Mechanical Maths
    or
    H French

The school is happy for me to do 4 AHs if I want, so that's not a problem if I choose that one, by the way. Here's the dilemma: on the one hand, AH Mechanical Maths might be something I could really usefor an application to an Engineering degree; and on the other H French also look good as it shows all-roundedness, and the workload is of course less giving me more time to pursue other activities. I'm inclined towards H French, but I don't want that to count against me just in case the uni.

Any advice on which one to go for? Does anyone know which one would look better?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you like. The language may even show a bit of interest elsewhere which is a good thing IMO.

Mechanical Maths comes in very handy for engineering. :hubba:

(Original post by nexusofsanity)
    I am wanting to do Chemical Engineering at Imperial

Here are the subjects I am decided on, and they match the entry requirements for the course:

AH Pure Maths
    AH Chemistry
    AH Physics

However, I'm stuck on what to do for the 4th subject. Here are my options

AH Mechanical Maths
    or
    H French

The school is happy for me to do 4 AHs if I want, so that's not a problem if I choose that one, by the way. Here's the dilemma: on the one hand, AH Mechanical Maths might be something I could really usefor an application to an Engineering degree; and on the other H French also look good as it shows all-roundedness, and the workload is of course less giving me more time to pursue other activities. I'm inclined towards H French, but I don't want that to count against me just in case the uni.

Any advice on which one to go for? Does anyone know which one would look better?
    Three Advanced Highers will be quite a lot of work. As you're planning on doing Pure Maths and Physics you'd probably find Mechanics very very easy. It's very similar to the Mechanics from Higher and Advanced Higher Physics. Extra experience with mechanics would be quite useful for engineering.

In my opinion you'd have to do more work for H French!

At the end of the day, if you're gonna be doing 3 Advanced Highers, I really doubt Imperial would be bothered which you choose

ReputationRep:
    only do the 4th subject if you want to. 3AHs will be fine for imperial.

ReputationRep:
    In a strange way I am potentially your future! I'm studying 3 advanced highers (maths, chemistry and physics like you) and am predicted AAA. I applied to imperial this year for chemical engineering and had an interview about 2 weeks ago, should be hearing from them any day, I so hope it's an offer! Imperial was amazing and definitely one to try for.

Imperial confirmed to me that AAA would definitely be the minimum requirement (no surprise!) and I've heard that they have made offers on the condition of a band 1 in maths, so > 85%. My school does not allow more than 3 AHs under any circumstance (I got 9 1s at SG and 5 As (4 of them band 1s) in higher) as they believe it would be too demanding. Although it may impress imperial it is not very necessary, as I prove (although I haven't yet got an offer!).
    Imperial do look at extra curricular activities with interest, I'm a head boy and recently went on a 6 week expedition to Greenland (more than half my interview was about that!) so you may want to spend time on those sorts of things.

If you are determined to sit 4 subjects then I would say go for the mechanical maths, although I am strongly biased against French as I despised it at SG and heard higher is really bad! However if you want to take a year abroad (in France especially of course!) then imperial probably would be very interested in it.

Hope this helps, I'll let you know if I get an offer and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably find the content of mechanics fairly straightforward with physics & maths. It did seem to offer more challenging questions, though, so my feeling is that you mind find it offered useful practice and confidence with maths. On the other hand, it is chemical engineering you're applying for, and whilst that's maths-based, I don't think it is to quite the same extent as physics or, uh, maths.

As mentioned, 3 AHs will be fine to get you an offer, so don't feel that you have to do more in order to stand out. You can manage that better with your personal statement and interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanC877)
    In a strange way I am potentially your future! I'm studying 3 advanced highers (maths, chemistry and physics like you) and am predicted AAA. I applied to imperial this year for chemical engineering and had an interview about 2 weeks ago, should be hearing from them any day, I so hope it's an offer! Imperial was amazing and definitely one to try for.

Imperial confirmed to me that AAA would definitely be the minimum requirement (no surprise!) and I've heard that they have made offers on the condition of a band 1 in maths, so > 85%. My school does not allow more than 3 AHs under any circumstance (I got 9 1s at SG and 5 As (4 of them band 1s) in higher) as they believe it would be too demanding. Although it may impress imperial it is not very necessary, as I prove (although I haven't yet got an offer!).
    Imperial do look at extra curricular activities with interest, I'm a head boy and recently went on a 6 week expedition to Greenland (more than half my interview was about that!) so you may want to spend time on those sorts of things.

If you are determined to sit 4 subjects then I would say go for the mechanical maths, although I am strongly biased against French as I despised it at SG and heard higher is really bad! However if you want to take a year abroad (in France especially of course!) then imperial probably would be very interested in it.

Hope this helps, I'll let you know if I get an offer and good luck!
    Oh hello future self.

I should have enough extracurriculars. Nothing like Head Boy or anything (I'm not that well-liked at my school lol) but I've got good grades on musical instruments, school teams, DofE and some other stuff.

Would it be alright if I PMed you some time to ask about Chemical Engineering? I'm not putting Imperial as my first-choice anymore (I'm putting Cambridge as my 1st choice, and Imperial as 2nd) but I could still really use some advice.

(Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)
    Four of my friends are doing Higher French and they all say its hellish and the worst subject they could have ever taken. And they're clever kids, one of them could be aiming for five As if they hadn't taken French.

I can't speak from personal experience, but from what I've heard, AH Mechanics would be well easier. Especially if you're good at maths, which I guess you must be with your subject choices.
    Oh, that's weird. I've got a few friends doing Higher French this year, but they haven't said anything overly bad about it :confused: Still, I could drop it if it turned out to be a pain though, with no consequences. I don't think I'd have to though. French is my best subject after Maths.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped me! You're all so great. I have to hand in my subject choice form on Monday, and I've finally decided to go for Higher French. There's barely any study resources for Mechanical Maths, I didn't overly like the Mechanics unit from Physics; and French was always the one I was more inclined towards. It's the one I'm closest to achieving fluency in, so I don't want to lose that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexusofsanity)
    Would it be alright if I PMed you some time to ask about Chemical Engineering?
    Feel free to PM away at any time with any questions. Good luck with the French

ReputationRep:
    i would be careful with higher french.. it won't be in your offer and it could distract from AH maths, physics and chemistry which most definetely will be in a potential offer and it will be AAA from cambridge/imperial.

also be careful which cambridge college you apply for. i might be wrong but i think some ask for STEP for engineering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.