Best for physics: Durham or IC? Watch

LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by edders)
thanks for the replies chaps, it seems IC is winning 5-0! the diversity thing is a problem not because im racist (of course not) but i just find it a bit intimidating being surrounded by loads of different races (im just too rural lol!). plus when i visited they did seem to group along that line.

ive got unconditional offers from IC and castle college durham (im post alevel) hmmm :confused:
Castle!!
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Castle!!
eh? 'go to castle!'?
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes that is fairly perceptive.

yes i really ought to visit. im not sure what the 'durham student' is like... high concentration of public school isnt there?

thats another good point. i guess id prefer the former
:confused:
Well, in fairness there's a high concentration of public school at most of the top unis - perhaps think back to whether you originally thought the same of somewhere like Oxford before actually seeing it? I would guess that Durham has the same public-school types as any other uni - those who are great people, unfairly labelled as snobs at first; those who are tolerable and the those who are so incredibly up themselves you can but laugh...
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok thanks for that... i was a bit worried about not seeing enough women. are you studying in london yourself?
yes m8 i live in london and doing my a-levels here. I might be studying here if i get an offer from lse
LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
eh? 'go to castle!'?
You can live in one!
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I face a dichotomy between durham and imperial college. i like them both, but which should i go to and why? both are MSci (4 years). at IC i get to spend a year in europe, which appeals to me.
i consider things like: cost, physical environment, types of student, reputation, teaching quality, academic prospects (want to do PhD), ethnic diversity (i think IC may be a bit TOO diverse?), social environment (bit cosier at durham than anonymous london?) etc.
Edders...if u wanna do PhD...consider the cost of living in london for 6-7 yrs. To be honest i wouldn't wanna live here for more than 3 yrs...i'd prefer to do Masters somewhere else...
A one day travelcard'll cost u around £7 if u buy it b4 9:30...
Also Travelling by the tube won't be nice....infact it is horrible at peak times...
lyd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hah, "too ethnically diverse" is the best euphemism i've heard for "too many foreign people".

i voted for durham because it appears you would feel uncomfortable in a multicultural and pluralistic enviroment.. which is a shame since you would have thought coming from a rural place would mean you'd want to experience a different type of environment. but hey, your loss!
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by HamaL)
Edders...if u wanna do PhD...consider the cost of living in london for 6-7 yrs. To be honest i wouldn't wanna live here for more than 3 yrs...i'd prefer to do Masters somewhere else...
A one day travelcard'll cost u around £7 if u buy it b4 9:30...
Also Travelling by the tube won't be nice....infact it is horrible at peak times...
i would want to do a PhD somewhere else apart from IC after doing the masters there.
not1
Rep:
?
alex_thompson
Report 14 years ago
oh shutup. you make it sound like im really narrow-minded.
u r definately racist.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alex_thompson)
u r definately racist.
Go IC wooohhhhhhooooooooo
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if anybody thinks imperial is (ahem) too diverse, I'd advise you to visit the law department at queen mary...
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is a tough choice, as you'd clearly rather spend your time at Durham.

It would depend on what you want. First thing is that for your doctoral application, the top institutions will look at; your university, your individual modular marks whilst at university, with particular emphasis given to your research project/dissertation. Minor distinctions between universities are not going to play any significant role in the admissions process.

If you're looking to work abroad, IC has the better reputation, even though all the hype about its global brand name are exaggerated.

I think the major argument in support of Imperial over Durham is that the standard of your fellow students will be higher. This may not be the case in your Physics dept., but overall IC has a higher calibre, i.e. higher A level average. As university is at least partially about social interaction, this for me would probably be the critical point. Durham for entry grades attained isn't even in the top 10, not sure if that's likely to matter to you.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
but overall IC has a higher calibre, i.e. higher A level average. As university is at least partially about social interaction, this for me would probably be the critical point. Durham for entry grades attained isn't even in the top 10, not sure if that's likely to matter to you.

imperial is about aab
durham is about abb

do you really think that one grade's difference is going to attract a better "calibre" of people?
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nero076)
imperial is about aab
durham is about abb

do you really think that one grade's difference is going to attract a better "calibre" of people?

Go to each univ. the difference is clear cut. Incidentally, the gap between those two is higher than the gap between IC and Oxbridge. One grade is actually quite high if it's taken as an average. The question you should be asking is why isn't Durham in the top 10 for a/v grades, does it actively recruit lower grade students?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
imperial is about aab
durham is about abb

But as edders has AAAAA, he should go to the best he can.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I would doubt that if you spoke to a group of people each with aab and then to a group of people with abb you could easily tell which was which. Any such gaps are probably the result of wider social and economic reasons (like %state educated, %from middle class groups etc).

However, I don't know why Durham's entry grades are lower than Imperial's. Does anyone know if Stockton is included in the stats...this could explain it, as grades here are lower.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I would doubt that if you spoke to a group of people each with aab and then to a group of people with abb you could easily tell which was which. Any such gaps are probably the result of wider social and economic reasons (like %state educated, %from middle class groups etc).

However, I don't know why Durham's entry grades are lower than Imperial's. Does anyone know if Stockton is included in the stats...this could explain it, as grades here are lower.

Think the Durham a/v is actually lower than ABB...whereas IC is higher than AAB. That was last year anyway...
alex_thompson
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Think the Durham a/v is actually lower than ABB...whereas IC is higher than AAB. That was last year anyway...
yes, imperial is slightly above AAB (average) and Durham is slightly below ABB (average) as for the A-Level grades of students.

more than 1 grade difference on average per student is quite a lot.
and considering edders got AAAAA, he should go to the ebst he can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (51)
26.56%
No (141)
73.44%

Watched Threads