Defence of Consent Example Watch

x7gardind
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Where two people are engaged in a concensual act, and one got distracted and left the other, during this period the person got harmed as a direct result of the act. Is there a separate defence or area of law for such scenarios?
Mr_Deeds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure I understand your question OP. Are we talking about an illegal act like a joint enterprise? Or just some other inherently dangerous activity? As a general rule, you can't be liable for an ommission and in the former example the defence of ex turpi causa non oritur actio would prevent a claim. Those engaged in a criminal activity do not owe their accomplices a duty of care. But again, this raises the question as to whether or not your question is asked in a civil or criminal law context.
x7gardind
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Mr_Deeds)
I'm not sure I understand your question OP. Are we talking about an illegal act like a joint enterprise? Or just some other inherently dangerous activity? As a general rule, you can't be liable for an ommission and in the former example the defence of ex turpi causa non oritur actio would prevent a claim. Those engaged in a criminal activity do not owe their accomplices a duty of care. But again, this raises the question as to whether or not your question is asked in a civil or criminal law context.
Ahh yes, upon re-reading the question it's all alot clearer. On a completely separate point I don't suppose in your infinite wisdom you know of any useful articles that present a good point for and against the element of consideration in contract?
Mr_Deeds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by x7gardind)
Ahh yes, upon re-reading the question it's all alot clearer. On a completely separate point I don't suppose in your infinite wisdom you know of any useful articles that present a good point for and against the element of consideration in contract?
Or lack thereof.

Atiyah: "Consideration: A Restatement" and there are quite a few good articles by Posner too; particularly on gratuitous promises/an economic analysis of the law of consideration. Failing that, and as always, I highly recommend Mckendrick's textbook on contract law. :yep:
thisisyesterday
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mr_Deeds)
Or lack thereof.

Atiyah: "Consideration: A Restatement" and there are quite a few good articles by Posner too; particularly on gratuitous promises/an economic analysis of the law of consideration. Failing that, and as always, I highly recommend Mckendrick's textbook on contract law.
Yayy for McKendrick :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise