what do you think this philosophical quote means? Watch

chriscahill9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Umm, yeah. For those who don't know who lao tzu was, he was the founder of the Tao Chinese philosophy. I was reading some quotes by him on the internet because I am quite interested in concepts of wisdom, enlightenment, etc, and I read this

"the more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be"

Now, I don't think he meant this in the sense that we might think of it now. He wasn't trying to say for example, that we should make murder legal and therefore if someone kills someone they are not a murderer because they didn't break a law, he was trying to say something more complex than that, but I'm not sure what.

What do you think this means?
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it as a refrence to creating laws that will include "soft crime" such a drug use, sexual conduct, etc.
However that is just my interpritation, I could be very incorrect.
Aesop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's the difference between a thief and a robber?
Anglerfish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe he is probably trying to say that the more you emphasise the law, the more people will resist. In trying to eliminate crime, you do not succeed, you merely drive it underground and out of sight for a time. It continues to grow, and I think Lao Tzu is trying to say that crime grows in direct proportion to the amount of stress it is put under by the emphasis of law.

Something along those lines.
Fyodor Bingoffsky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
put it this way: it is like freedom creates restraint. by giving people rights to speak up, we are criticised every time we make a joke that turns out to be politically incorrect, no matter how mild it is.

I think in this case, with more laws (like a communist nation) the helm of the hierarchy will twist the laws in their favour or break them. Also with too many laws it is impossible to control humans too much so they go "what the heck" and commit crimes. With moedrate laws they can be followed easily.
Juliedrulie18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think you were right to begin with.... If something's not against the law, then it's not illegal to do it (and yeah, I know that's pretty redundant )... Like the whole legalize marijuana thing here in the US. If it was legal, then we wouldn't have to worry about enforcing the law ('cos there wouldn't be one!), and people wouldn't be breaking the law (once again, due to the lack of a law against it!)
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chriscahill9)
"the more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be"

Now, I don't think he meant this in the sense that we might think of it now. He wasn't trying to say for example, that we should make murder legal and therefore if someone kills someone they are not a murderer because they didn't break a law, he was trying to say something more complex than that, but I'm not sure what.
I think it does sound like what you were describing, not in the positive sense as you were, but in the negative sense. He's not saying that we should make murder legal to reduce crimes, but he is saying that if we make more laws (especially stupid ones) the crime rate will go up just because there's more (stupid) conditions to break.
necessarily benevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The more laws created, the more people there will be condemned by them. Essentially, without official law, an individual cannot be labelled "thief", "robber" etc. and are therefore not so. Perhaps, looking deeper, it may mean that people are only accused in accordance to what consensus law says, and are not intrinsically worthy of being accused. I think.
Ztephy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
nice quote, but it just says to me that criminals are only condemned because we have these laws.
so for example, and like others have said...if we have are sentenced over things that are beyond society's control... illegal downloading? drug usage? stuff like that?
it's a negative quote really.
wake123
Report 8 years ago
It's about the 'self fulfilling prophecy'.
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chriscahill9)
He is actually saying that. If I made typing on the computer a crime, we would all, in the eyes of the state, be criminals. He's not arguing for an abolition of law and order, only that practically speaking, the more laws there are, the likelihood of a greater percent of the population becoming criminals increases.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
He is actually saying that. If I made typing on the computer a crime, we would all, in the eyes of the state, be criminals. He's not arguing for an abolition of law and order, only that practically speaking, the more laws there are, the likelihood of a greater percent of the population becoming criminals increases.
This,

By extension, I would say it is about the way we, as a soicety, view ourselves. Negativety breeds negativity etc...

<3
Komakino
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I presume it's saying that the more we treat people with suspicion of them committing crimes, the more likely they will become criminals, that a police state is not an effective counter-crime mechanism. Although how thiefs and robbers differ I don't know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (154)
27.55%
No (405)
72.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise