Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Looking to take megabus or something there as the train prices are a bit much. Anyone know how I can get to the medical school using megabus?

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably have more luck in the "University of Durham" forums here on TSR? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Looking to take megabus or something there as the train prices are a bit much. Anyone know how I can get to the medical school using megabus?
    The medical school is in the middle of nowhere. If you take the train to Thornaby then you get quite close to it. However, if you go to Durham by bus then you need to take another bus to Stockton-on-Tees. It's a 50min or so journey and the bus was every 20min or so and it's about 10GBP for a return.

ReputationRep:
    To get to Stockton cheaply, you could try getting a megabus to Middlesborough and then the local bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrmondDrone)
    To get to Stockton cheaply, you could try getting a megabus to Middlesborough and then the local bus.
    Ah I'll ask about that on their forum. Cheers1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Ah I'll ask about that on their forum. Cheers1
    This site is good for the local buses: http://www.connectteesvalley.com/bus.asp

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to travel my Megabus or some other cheap alternative to Durham next week.

My interview for Medicine is at Queens Campus Stockton. Train prices for a return are too much for me

ReputationRep:
    Trainline.com?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Where are you starting out from? London – Darlington is served by Megabus' service to Scotch Corner, which is located just seven miles from Darlington and well connected to Stockton through local bus services. Alternatively, take the Megabus service to Middlesborough and then the local bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straightpath)
    Trainline.com?
    What is that?
    (Original post by IndiePixie)
    Where are you starting out from? London – Darlington is served by Megabus' service to Scotch Corner, which is located just seven miles from Darlington and well connected to Stockton through local bus services. Alternatively, take the Megabus service to Middlesborough and then the local bus.
    Yep starting out in London. Okay I will investigate the London - Darling and London - Middlesborough and see which is quicker. Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked to see if you can get any cheap train tickets? www.eastcoast.co.uk is your best bet for this. I'd book a train to Darlington (which is usually lots cheaper than Durham - I often do this and then get a single on to Durham) and then get a local bus to Stockton.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Sorry for bringing this thread up.. But, i had the same issue as in here, i guess..

I'll come to Durham at the end of September by this year from my country, somewhere far far away (deuh! i'm in 'over the top' mode, anyway).

And, i'm actually thinking about 3 options for flying from my place, Indonesia:
    (1) Indonesia to London Heathrow airport, then take the InterCity train or National Express to Durham --> could you give some approximation about how long it will take from London to Durham?
    (2) Indonesia to Newcastle Airport, then take 30 minutes trip by train or bus to Durham
    (3) Indonesia to Durham Tees Valley, then take the Sky Express bus service to the Darlington railway station, then take the train to Durham

From those 3 options, could you please give me some suggestions, which one is better and more convenience to take? Since i probably will bring a big suitcase, a small suitcase, a lap top and a hand bag.. :P

And, one other big question, if I have already arrived in the city of Durham itself (whether on its bus stop or railway station), how could I get to the College (i'm in Ustinov, anyway)? Do i have to take a cab, or another bus?

Argh! Need a suggestion, badly.

Thanks a lot, peeps!

Cheers, Peniel.

ReputationRep:
    If you can do either 2 or 3 they are better than 1 because in 1 you haven't factored in the time and cost of getting from Heathrow to london.

ReputationRep:
    Ustinov will probably send you infomation about arriving (though this info may be far too late to make any decisions on). I think this may include infomation about them picking people up from newcastle airport and durham rail station. I can't find any info from last year at the moment but there will be some help when you do arrive.

ReputationRep:
    According to http://www.dur.ac.uk/international/f...ravelling/how/ there's a free coach direct to your College from the airport, so I would recommend avoiding the hassle of crossing London with a suitcase to get on the train and fly to whichever airport is easier to get to, which might be Newcastle since you could fly to Dubai and then fly Emirates to Newcastle direct from Dubai. If you arrive at the airport near the start of term, there will be a friendly team of helpers at the airport to meet and greet you and direct you to the coach.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.