Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gcse Choices Help!!! watch

• View Poll Results: Geography or Leisure & Tourism
    Geography
    94.87%
    Leisure and Tourism
    5.13%

ReputationRep:
    I plan to become a doctor or surgeon or something like that.. so basically i will study medicine at university. I need help with the GCSE options..

Compulsory for me are:
    Media Studies
    Religious Studies (short course)
    Maths
    English Language
    English Literature
    OCR National ICT (level 2)

My choices:
    Triple Science
    Applied Business ( double award )
    ICT ( now double award)

My fourth option I am confused about!!! Should I take Geography or Leisure and Tourism (Double Award) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    media studies and RE are compulsary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    media studies and RE are compulsary?
    RE was compulsary when I did my GCSE's very odd I know :/

ReputationRep:
    why are you doing ocr national ict and ict double award?
    not that i really understand what either of those are.
    id definitely do geography over leisure and tourism..i didnt even know that was a subject
    im sure geography is more academic
    have you considered doing history or a language at GCSE?
    more academic subjects will look better on your application to do medicine than media studies.
    probably even ict and rs too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paki4lyf786)
    I plan to become a doctor or surgeon or something like that.. so basically i will study medicine at university. I need help with the GCSE options..

Compulsory for me are:
    Media Studies
    Maths
    English Language
    English Literature

My choices:
    Triple Science
    ICT ( now double award)

My fourth option I am confused about!!! Should I take Geography or Leisure and Tourism (Double Award) :confused:
    Trust me, you'll be laughing at this decision by the end of year 11. It doesn't matter at all.

I'd say Geography, just for a mix up.

But I urge you to pick a language GCSE. 'Tis probably the only GCSE that, separately, shows good qualities (bar Maths and English).

ReputationRep:
    One of your compulsory subjects is already a bit lightweight from a university's point of view (Media Studies), the last thing you need is another (Leisure & Tourism). Academic subjects are best if you want to be a medic.

ReputationRep:
    do things ur good at. they are all qualifications that count as gcse. i did very traditional subjects and am working much too hard for a B. I know people who did r.e. and media studies and they are doing much better than me just because they did things thy are good at, dont feel pressured to do 'hard subjects'

ReputationRep:
    If your planning to become a doctor you shouldnt really even be considoring a subject like leisure and tourism.
    Not that its goingto make a world of difference to your carrer path, its just a soft subject for someone looking at human biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    do things ur good at. they are all qualifications that count as gcse. i did very traditional subjects and am working much too hard for a B. I know people who did r.e. and media studies and they are doing much better than me just because they did things thy are good at, dont feel pressured to do 'hard subjects'
    The problem with "easy" subjects is that no matter how well you do in them, universities will tend to overlook people who've done them in favour of people who haven't (this becomes more of an issue at A-level, I grant you). I've read threads on TSR about people who did subjects like PE at A-level, got good grades (even straight As) and found it impossible to get into uni. On paper, yes, they're all qualifications, but you have to look at it from a university's point of view if that's where you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    Geography. I'd also advise you to ditch ICT and/or buisness annd pick up a language and/or history.

ReputationRep:
    Really, don't worry about which one looks best or whatever, it will never matter, even if you for example choose to do geography in uni and chose to do leisure and tourism at GCSE!

Think of whichever you think you're gonna get a better grade in. It's the grades that matter (not that they're even that important unless you're applying for medicine), so choose the course you think you'll do best in, or just one that you'll enjoy more!

I reckon leisure and tourism sounds more fun but that's just in my opinion. Don't give yourself too much of a hard time during GCSEs - save that for a-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    Think of whichever you think you're gonna get a better grade in. It's the grades that matter (not that they're even that important unless you're applying for medicine), so choose the course you think you'll do best in, or just one that you'll enjoy more!
    OP wants to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aelred)
    The problem with "easy" subjects is that no matter how well you do in them, universities will tend to overlook people who've done them in favour of people who haven't (this becomes more of an issue at A-level, I grant you). I've read threads on TSR about people who did subjects like PE at A-level, got good grades (even straight As) and found it impossible to get into uni. On paper, yes, they're all qualifications, but you have to look at it from a university's point of view if that's where you want to go.
    Thanks.. added to ur rep..really helpful ..... do you think that my choices are good from a university point of view for medicine or do i need a language??......i can speak english, urdu and punjabi but i don't have a qualification in them ... hopefully ill apply for sheffield uni....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aelred)
    i dont remember saying easy so i dont know where you are quoting from. and sure do history if you ant a history degree, but if you are on unsure and have no strong interest in a subject either way do the ones you can succeed in. basic advice many people including myself have overlooked.

(Original post by paki4lyf786)

Compulsory for me are:
    Media Studies
    Maths
    English Language
    English Literature

My choices:
    Triple Science
    ICT ( now double award)

How the hell is Media Studies compulsory?

In addition, you are doing the OCR National in ICT as well as the Double Award? :lolwut:

Imo, take Geography.

However, is there any way of doing History or a language?

ReputationRep:
    Geography.

Can I ask where you study?

Media Studies? Compulsory? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Do a language! It'll show that you have good communication skills and whatnot.
    Don't do Leisure and Tourism. It's something that will be overlooked for what you want to do I think.

ReputationRep:
    geography, it's always better to do an academic subject.

ReputationRep:
    Ditch the ICT as you're already doing some for your compulsory units, and ICT isn't generally regarded as a 'traditional' subject by universities anyway - same as Business. Geography / History would be good alternatives!

Having said that, Unis don't generally pay much heed to your GCSE choices, as long as you have a good variety and get good grades

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.