Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to imagine a new colour? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to imagine a new colour?

I got into a debate with a mate, who believes he's found a new colour, he just can't express it on paper yet. I seem to find this impossible and can only imagine colours that already exist.

Is their any science to back up my argument, i was thinking light spectra, or is he right?

ReputationRep:
    No- the light spectrum has always been there and is already discovered- he probably found a different shade of a colour.

ReputationRep:
    We discussed this in RS: philosophy & ethics the other day.

What a waste of 10 minutes that was. :indiff:

And you are right in that colours are only energies associated with a flow of photons, or wavelengths and frequencies associated with an electromagnetic wave. So they can only be 'discovered' not created.

However, if he is thinking of a colour which doesn't have a colloquial name, then I suppose he is right from an anthropic way of thinking.

You're both right!

ReputationRep:
    NO. NO. NO.
    Tell him he is an idiot and you are correct, there is no wave that will create any colour that isnt in between violite and red.

ReputationRep:
    I heard certain animals can see more colours than us.

ReputationRep:
    interesting..

ReputationRep:
    What about if you could see a colour that was completely different to how someone else sees it??

So say for example when I see green, the actual colour my brain picks up could be your red and yours could be a completely different colour to any of mine; one that I could not imagine??

ReputationRep:
    It's most likely impossible to be able to imagine this, since we've lived our entire lives in this set colour-scheme.
    Certain animals, such as the Mantis Shrimp and Zebra Fish, are able to see more distinct wavelengths than humans, because they have more different types of photoreceptors. This means they can see different colours where it would look the same to humans (such as on types of coral), including four primary colours.
    I'd think since everything we imagine or visualise is at least loosely based on our reality it would be impossible to picture something different, but any neuroscientists who may or may not be around, feel free to correct me.

Unless your friend has tetrachromacy, which is only possible in women and has only been identified in one or two people world-wide, but even then the colour wouldn't be 'new' for him since he'd have lived with it until now.

EDIT: Thanks to the person who gave me rep!

ReputationRep:
    i like the idea that my green, is not necessarily your green. wouldnt it be incredible if people saw colours differently?!? noone would ever know as we've just been told that that colour is called X and so on!

ReputationRep:
    Surely your brain can only access the colours it has seen already, so anything 'new' would just be a combination of other colours?

(Original post by rofflewaffle)
    Surely your brain can only access the colours it has seen already, so anything 'new' would just be a combination of other colours?
    "Achievement unlocked: Chartreuse."

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's possible for humans to imagine a new colour. I can't imagine how I'd react to seeing one.

ReputationRep:
    No, for the same reason that you can't imagine 4 dimensional objects. Our brains just haven't evolved to be capable of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    NO. NO. NO.
    Tell him he is an idiot and you are correct, there is no wave that will create any colour that isnt in between violite and red.
    Seems you created a colour too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. That would be AMAZING! But highly highly highly unlikely.. Maybe this friend of yours has a special sort of brain. Maybe he can see things we can't.. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoneGuy)
    What about if you could see a colour that was completely different to how someone else sees it??

So say for example when I see green, the actual colour my brain picks up could be your red and yours could be a completely different colour to any of mine; one that I could not imagine??
    Was going to say this..it is a topic worth debating.

Then again, I dont think its as bad as one person sees green, the other pink. If that were the case then we would rarely aggree on what colours look nice- e.g a sunset or particular dress or jacket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    Seems you created a colour too :rolleyes:
    Embarrassment :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    NO. NO. NO.
    But it is hypothetically possible for someone to have a mutation that means they have a fourth type of colour receptor, in which case they would be able to see more colours. That does mean they wouldn't be able to show other people though. It would either be invisible or just be another colour depending on where on the spectrum this receptor is sensitive to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Was going to say this..it is a topic worth debating.

Then again, I dont think its as bad as one person sees green, the other pink. If that were the case then we would rarely aggree on what colours look nice- e.g a sunset or particular dress or jacket.
    But they may have the same effects on our emotions, regardless of what they actually look like, because it would be the wavelength & frequency (or w/e) of the light affecting our emotions (?) so the colour it is interpreted as wouldn't make any difference to how it affected our emotions? :dontknow:

It's very interesting though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But it is hypothetically possible for someone to have a mutation that means they have a fourth type of colour receptor, in which case they would be able to see more colours. That does mean they wouldn't be able to show other people though. It would either be invisible or just be another colour depending on where on the spectrum this receptor is sensitive to.
    Impossible. Scince colour is only a wave freqency, what frequency would this new colour be? A mutation can interprate the wave to another couler or even another sense (eg, sound) However where would this new colour come from?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.