Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University admission policy transparency proposal watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    No. If you cba to find out yourself you ought have no place there. :rolleyes: Most of the info - for example the all A* GCSE @ Oxford - is easy to find out and disprove. Google is your friend.
    Genuine congratulations for your Magdalene offer, despite me making fun of you last week for getting rejected.

(Original post by Jingers)
    Genuine congratulations for your Magdalene offer, despite me making fun of you last week for getting rejected.

Thank you and d/w bout it, internetzisseriouzbusiness as we all know:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I oppose it - not because I disagree with it, but because it's already transparent enough.

If you get rejected from a university, let's say (using your examples), Oxford, if you contact them and ask them, they will give you feedback on your application.

Not only that, but does this happen with jobs? If I don't get the job as a shelf stacker in Asda, I don't write to them and ask them why. It's up to each university and each employer to choice their students, and let's face it, they're only going to choose the students who are likely to be of best benefit to the institution.

Assuming the above is true (I doubt otherwise), then the above proposal would achieve nothing. Let's say a university admits a student because they donate a large sum of of money, they're not suddenly going to announce to the public that this is included in their "formula".

Furthermore, a lot of admissions "criteria" for top institutions can't be quantified. Let's say Personal Statement, or even better, performance at interview; you can't quantify these parameters. Even if you could, it's opinion-based, and whilst obviously terrible candidates could well be easily spotted, the rest is arguable, and thus such statistics are nearly useless, as they can be manipulated.

Universities already publish a huge amount of information regarding the type of students they want, both in terms of personality, experience and qualifications. The rest is up to them, and I see no problem with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)

Thank you and d/w bout it, internetzisseriouzbusiness as we all know:yep:
    I seriously did want to write internetzisseriouzbusiness when we were arguing lol. How did you manage to get them to reverse their offer?

ReputationRep:
    That was very well-written

(Original post by Jingers)
    I seriously did want to write internetzisseriouzbusiness when we were arguing lol. How did you manage to get them to reverse their offer?

hahaha I kno right?

I didn't, I was pooled and re-fished by same college.

ReputationRep:
    I would say, having looked at the examples OP provided this could be a good thing. It explains the relevant things to put on a personal statement, and might help people prepare for interview ect. It also shows that all aplications are considered in the same way, even if some areas are subjective.

I know you can ask for feedback, but this really isn't useful after the event. Also, to the person who said that you can't do this with jobs, yes you can. If you are unsucessful in applying for jobs you can ring/email and ask for feedback- for example they may say your CV wasn't up to scratch, or even that your experience isn't relevant. This then helps the candidate move forward and find a better suited job/improve their CV/whatever.

Even if it's just something like- for psychology- saying that taking Psychology a level isn't required, but if you haven't taken it you must have taken other scientific subjects, and demostrate your comitment and understanding of the subject, by showing you have read relevant books ect. Which is mostly true but rarely explicitly stated in prospectuses, just if people ask at open days.

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to turn this into a government petition, so if you think it's a good idea please sign-up:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/uniadmissions/

If the petition gets 500 odd signatures we can probably get an official response. I'll nudge some people in the tory party to see if we can get an opposition response before that as well. Hopefully if we can get either to agree, we might be able to get a policy change to turn it into reality

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.