Turn on thread page Beta

20 year old Foundation Art student who is beyond skint watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm literally up **** Street. I'm doing an art foundation course at Central Saint Martins in London, and am still living at home. The train to just get into London Liverpool Street costs me £13 a day, not including Oyster card expenses. I'd just turned 20 when I began the course, so my dad very nicely paid for the tuition fees of around £1500, and left the rest up to me. I work part time in Sainsburys, and can only manage to work 12 hours around being at college, getting home from college and the massive amount of workload I have, so this means I earn roughly £350 a month. I have tried to apply for every student financial help programme going, though there aren't many, and I really don't understand why I get no help from the government? I don't class myself as a university student because I don't get a student loan, I live at home, I have a part time job and no time to actually get out and look at exhibitions and galleries- I can hardly afford the extra train fares! I am determined to make this year work for me, and to get into the university of my choice but it just seems there is no other option for me! I can't apply for a student overdraft from any bank as they need a confirmation letter of your place at a university from UCAS- I don't get that with a foundation course as you apply straight to the college of your choice, not through UCAS. I have an overdraft, which I currently go over, and will never be able to get out of unless someone bails me out. I am fed up, stressed and generally upset all the time. Really wish someone would be able to help me out? I'd appreciate it so so so much!

ReputationRep:
    Get the bus?

I don't know how long is your foundation course? If it's only a year then stick it out it's almost finished

But yeah the trains are stinging you there, the bus would be a cheaper option? I'm not sure htough I don't live in london and I think thats bloody expensive

ReputationRep:
    The government doesn't fund the Foundation Diploma course. You can apply for ALG FE (Adult Learning Grant Further Education) I only get £400 for this one year and I have no job. Living in london will cost you a bomb though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    So I'm literally up **** Street. I'm doing an art foundation course at Central Saint Martins in London, and am still living at home. The train to just get into London Liverpool Street costs me £13 a day, not including Oyster card expenses. I'd just turned 20 when I began the course, so my dad very nicely paid for the tuition fees of around £1500, and left the rest up to me. I work part time in Sainsburys, and can only manage to work 12 hours around being at college, getting home from college and the massive amount of workload I have, so this means I earn roughly £350 a month. I have tried to apply for every student financial help programme going, though there aren't many, and I really don't understand why I get no help from the government? I don't class myself as a university student because I don't get a student loan, I live at home, I have a part time job and no time to actually get out and look at exhibitions and galleries- I can hardly afford the extra train fares! I am determined to make this year work for me, and to get into the university of my choice but it just seems there is no other option for me! I can't apply for a student overdraft from any bank as they need a confirmation letter of your place at a university from UCAS- I don't get that with a foundation course as you apply straight to the college of your choice, not through UCAS. I have an overdraft, which I currently go over, and will never be able to get out of unless someone bails me out. I am fed up, stressed and generally upset all the time. Really wish someone would be able to help me out? I'd appreciate it so so so much!

This really must suck, have you tried to see if your college has a learners support fund?

You must enquire if you can claim any travel expenses, because if they do have such a fund you may qualify.

The only other thing I could suggest is if you could afford a student railcard, although i dont know if it would be relevant.

Have you tried asking around at college if anyone goes your way home, because even if you gave them a really good contribution towards petrol, it would still be cheaper than the train.

I was going to suggest the adult learner grant, but i think it only goes up to level 3 courses.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried a career development loan?

ReputationRep:
    Is this your second Level 3 course? If not, you can apply for ALG. The title of this post sounds remarkably familiar like me, heh. I don't study my Foundation course in London, but I just wanted to say I can sympathise. Have you talked to your parents about this at all?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you got a monthly season ticket, you'd probably save money on your daily travel costs, and would also be able to travel in to see exhibitions without it costing you anything extra. (A weekly one probably wouldn't work out cheaper for you, because I assume you have a young person's railcard). The downside of this cunning plan is that you would need a whole chunk of money all at once to pay for it, and that chunk of money is perilously close to everything you earn in a month.

I do think it would be a good idea to talk to your parents, and lay out the maths for them so they can see you aren't being irresponsible with money, you just literally don't have enough to cover your travel expenses, let alone materials for your course.

The other thing, if you can't spend less, is to try to earn more. Can you get a better paid job/strategically work hours which attract higher pay? Can you work a lot over Easter to clear your overdraft and build up a bit of a reserve of cash? Can you flog some artwork or crafts to make a few quid? (I know this sounds like I'm taking the mickey, but it isn't - I made a welcome bit of cash in the run-up to Christmas selling a load of little wool brooches which I made in the space of one day).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Non-helpful - shouldn't you have considered this before you began the course?

Helpful - try to spend less (get a monthly/termly ticket - you might be able to get a student rate which could save pennies), and little things like not spending money on frivalous items, taking a packed lunch to college with you, etc xx

ReputationRep:
    Hello

As you are enrolled on a FE course, then you might find this section of the Student Services website useful.

Also - do book in a session with a member of Student Services to discuss your financial worries. They can help.

Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    If you got a monthly season ticket, you'd probably save money on your daily travel costs, and would also be able to travel in to see exhibitions without it costing you anything extra. (A weekly one probably wouldn't work out cheaper for you, because I assume you have a young person's railcard). The downside of this cunning plan is that you would need a whole chunk of money all at once to pay for it, and that chunk of money is perilously close to everything you earn in a month.
    This.
    I'm on my foundation course at the moment and I still live at home, but I make the commute from east London/Essex to south east London three times a week. I still have the 16+ Oyster card as my course qualifies for me to use this, so I get a monthly season ticket put on my card for £84.50 a month. It only allows me into zones 1-5 but that's fine because my house is zone 5, my uni is zone 4 and obviously central London is zones 1-2 so I can travel in and out of the city for exhibitions and the like as I please, without having to top-up any more money.
    This season ticket only costs me this much because the type of oyster I have gives me half price fare, but if you have an adult oyster card then zones 1-5 will cost you £169 (30% off that if you have a student's oyster or a different price depending on the zones you're travelling within). Where is it you're travelling from, btw?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered other was to earn cash, such as selling some of your work? Or perhaps you could see if there are classes that would pay you to model, or if the uni needs student ambasadors ect, all ways of earning a little bit of extra cash. Or how about seeing if you can access a hardship fund at your colledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwassa)
    Is this your second Level 3 course? If not, you can apply for ALG. The title of this post sounds remarkably familiar like me, heh. I don't study my Foundation course in London, but I just wanted to say I can sympathise. Have you talked to your parents about this at all?
    Oh in Wales it must be different. 'Cause I get ALG though I've done the BTEC ND.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Oh in Wales it must be different. 'Cause I get ALG though I've done the BTEC ND.
    Yeah, it must be. I found something relating to this

Eligibility

You’ll need to meet specific criteria to determine whether or not you’re eligible to receive the ALG. Much of that rests on the income you receive including benefits and there are also a number of other requirements. You must be aged 19 or over (although you can submit an application a month before your 19th birthday. You must be living and studying in England and the course must be either an NVQ level 2 or level 3 and it must be the first course you’ve taken at either level.

(http://www.exploreadultlearning.co.u...ing-adult.html)

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your college has some kind of funding you can apply for? Some universities offer grants and bursaries in addition to student loans, so your college might be the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwassa)
    Yeah, it must be. I found something relating to this

Eligibility

You’ll need to meet specific criteria to determine whether or not you’re eligible to receive the ALG. Much of that rests on the income you receive including benefits and there are also a number of other requirements. You must be aged 19 or over (although you can submit an application a month before your 19th birthday. You must be living and studying in England and the course must be either an NVQ level 2 or level 3 and it must be the first course you’ve taken at either level.

(http://www.exploreadultlearning.co.u...ing-adult.html)
    I did try looking on the welsh site but there's nothing stipulating it must be your first course http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk..._schema=PORTAL

But in England on ALG you get £30 a week though don't you? In wales they give you a sum based on your income of your household. Hence why I get only £450 a year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies! I've tried to answer you all here/
    I don't live in London, or even on the outskirts of it! I live about 10 minutes from Stansted Airport if that gives you any idea of where I live? So my train journey is roughly 50 minutes to Liverpool Street. I have a student 16-25 railcard, so instead of the usual £19.70 it would cost me, I pay £13. I also have the students photo ID version of Oyster card which takes a 1/3 off all costs. A bus clearly isn't optional!
    I've aready applied for ALG and was told I wasn't eligible- they only count level 2 or 3 courses I think, which is pretty much the same as A Levels, and because Foundation course is classed as FE, it just seems to be in the middle.
    I have applied for hardship fund from the college, in order to reduce my fees, but again was told I wasn't eligible. I also applied for fee remission before the course started, and again, wasn't eligible for that.
    My dad paid the course fee to begin with, my mum covers one day travel a week- I can't ask for more help, and it's not fair to continue to ask them to bail me out when they both are having money worries at the moment. I also applied for random bursaries I could find on the internet, explaining about my travel costs etc but no success there! My local citizens' advice bureau was as helpful as nothing, and I have even tried contacting my county council to see if there is any information they could give me on funding students in the area. No reply!
    My family don't receive any benefits from the government, and so it would seem neither do I. We are the middle men- they pay taxes, don't earn a vast amount of money, and yet sometimes it seems we would all be better off if we all packed it in and lived off the state?
    I've tried selling things on eBay such as old clothes, and this worked for a while, but it seems so many people use it now that it is cheaper to buy things off eBay than sell them, unless you are selling a 'must have' item like a laptop or ipod or something.
    My course is only for a year, but then after I hope to stay on at CSM for my degree, and that will mean another year minimum of travelling to and from London as it is still cheaper than living up there. That means, most likely, that because I will still be working and living at home I'll get hardly anything for my student loan! Great eh!
    I have a monthly budget that I try and rigidly stick to- I take packed lunch everyday, the only thing I buy myself is art materials, or essentials (shampoo, etc). I shop in charity shops. I buy my make up off market stalls. After a while, it's just tiresome you know? When you have to watch every penny, and you're not even working or owning a house or a car, it gets a bit much. I feel like I miss out on so much, mainly because everyone at college is out drinking, meeting new people and stuff, I end up feeling sorry for myself!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this, OP.

I've just made a MoneyWise FAQ (green title in the Money and Finance forum), and linked to something called 'MoneyToLearn'. One link available through this gives information on support with travel costs for FE students. See:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...Help/DG_066984

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 though
    Thank you for getting in touch though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have a look at the discretionary support funds, is that what you meant? Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    I'm going to have a look at the discretionary support funds, is that what you meant? Sorry!
    Yes, sorry. I should have linked you straight to that page, but I forgot your age! :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.