Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why would you keep telling someone about the all people who fancy you? watch

ReputationRep:
    A boy I spend a lot of time with quite frequently tells me about girls who tell his friends that they are infatuated with him. This has come up quite a few times and it just seems a bit weird to have said it quite so many times, are there any reasons in particular anyone can think of as to why you would say this?

Maybe he fancies you and wants you to say something so he knows your interested in him

ReputationRep:
    mabie coz he dosent want you fancying him or making it clear that he dosent fancy you beacuse hes talking about other girls?

ReputationRep:
    Well you see this is the thing, people think that there is something going on between us and there are signs that there may be but they could just as equally be just friendly I suppose. He doesn't appear to be interested in any of these girls anyway, saying he doesn't have time etc but at the same time spends a hell of a lot of time with me and we get on really well.

ReputationRep:
    When he does say about them I just say something in a jokey way about why do so many girls become infatuated with him/what a popular man he is. I don't really know what else to say because although I do fancy him I'm not going to tell him and just be one of this list of girls who are infatuated.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he likes you and wants to gauge your reaction. Maybe you're not single, and he wants to see what's going on in your head.

Maybe, on the other hand, he's trying to put the brakes on something he thinks might be happening. It's likely if everyone thinks something is going on that he has noticed something too.

Do you like him?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he likes you - maybe he's trying to make you jealous/suss out whether you like him too by seeing your reaction to all these girls fancying him.

ReputationRep:
    either trying to make you jealous/see if your interested or doesnt have enough else going on in his life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    Maybe he likes you and wants to gauge your reaction. Maybe you're not single, and he wants to see what's going on in your head.

Maybe, on the other hand, he's trying to put the brakes on something he thinks might be happening. It's likely if everyone thinks something is going on that he has noticed something too.

Do you like him?
    I am single and he knows it. He is quite a reserved person so it isn't completely far fetched to think that he may be gauging.
    If he is trying to put a brake then he's not doing a very good job because the rest of his behaviour would suggest that's he's feeding the fire as much as I am (I do like him).

ReputationRep:
    Bearing in mind that I do like him but do not want to look another infatuated girl and say we work on the assumption that's he is trying to gauge what should I be saying if he mentions it again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueScarlett)
    Bearing in mind that I do like him but do not want to look another infatuated girl and say we work on the assumption that's he is trying to gauge what should I be saying if he mentions it again?
    Well you could jokingly ask him what it is about these girls he doesn't like. Ask him why he never does anything about them, and then become the opposite of what he says. If you're less of what he doesn't like you'll be more of what he does.

I'm a girl and I do this all the time..I can't help it it's like word vomit...it's because i guess i want to project this image of myself, and basically because i'm cripplingly insecure

ReputationRep:
    Fall in his arms and make love to him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatatitla)
    Fall in his arms and make love to him?
    We're talking about two reserved people here, one of whom has never been in a relationship etc! I wish it were that simple!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he's just insecure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a girl and I do this all the time..I can't help it it's like word vomit...it's because i guess i want to project this image of myself, and basically because i'm cripplingly insecure
    What would you ideally like the person to say back to you then?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps he's actually a bit insecure, so he needs to reaffirm himself in front of others...
    or maybe he just likes to boast, like any normal person : )

ReputationRep:
    If it's true, he might be saying it to see how you would react. He may like you.

If it's not true, the above may still hold but he's also a deeply insecure and shameless person. People who brag about their so-called 'popularity' annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest insecure in stuff like this doesn't sound totally unfeasible at all. I don't really know how to deal with insecurity although I have tried to bolster him up a bit even just as friend. I just can't be 100% and so that's holding me back. I want to think of a way let him I know like him without playing the infatuated girl card/come straight out with it so that I can finally find out what it is he is thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Well you see this is the thing, people think that there is something going on between us and there are signs that there may be but they could just as equally be just friendly I suppose. He doesn't appear to be interested in any of these girls anyway, saying he doesn't have time etc but at the same time spends a hell of a lot of time with me and we get on really well.
    Ask him out. See what he says. Simplest solution, no?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.