Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ello ello everyone! not sure this is the right place but... im hoping to study at brighton 2010 at the grand parade campus doing photoraphy. so far halls preferences is phoenix, varley (with internet) varley ashdown house and falmer.

is falmer to far away if your campus of study is grand parade?

and also. does anyone have any opinions on the varley without internet?? isnt that really annoying! if not then will def put it as a choice, xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Towelie88)
    Do it, they are awesome.

I got into varley as my third choice but im so glad I did, its like a little community! So much better than the other halls i have visited.
    so it sounds like (according to you) varley is the best??! haha. id be studying at the grand parade, but do you rekon i should still put varley as my number one and phoenix second??

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently living in varley, chalvington 13! I love it there, it's an excellent community, if a little far from basically all the uni campuses (but v. close to asda and a bus stop, so it's not the end of the world). I have internet but if you feel you could surpass the need to be online 24/7 then you could probably cope with Balcombe/Chailey/Ditchling. All accomodation at Brighton is ridiculously expensive, my rent is £456 a month and it has no special features (apart from being a disabled flat so we get an extra shower and toilet!). If you feel it would be worth paying extra to live near your campus then it's up to you, but if you're on a budget then I'd go for Varley. I would think Falmer really far from Grand Parade, it sometimes takes my arty flatmates an hour to get into town from Varley! (Blame the traffic, I'm at Moulsecoomb and sometimes I'm stuck on the Lewes road for ages).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nynyflower)
    I'm currently living in varley, chalvington 13! I love it there, it's an excellent community, if a little far from basically all the uni campuses (but v. close to asda and a bus stop, so it's not the end of the world). I have internet but if you feel you could surpass the need to be online 24/7 then you could probably cope with Balcombe/Chailey/Ditchling. All accomodation at Brighton is ridiculously expensive, my rent is £456 a month and it has no special features (apart from being a disabled flat so we get an extra shower and toilet!). If you feel it would be worth paying extra to live near your campus then it's up to you, but if you're on a budget then I'd go for Varley. I would think Falmer really far from Grand Parade, it sometimes takes my arty flatmates an hour to get into town from Varley! (Blame the traffic, I'm at Moulsecoomb and sometimes I'm stuck on the Lewes road for ages).
    Hi,
    I'll be at Falmer, is it far to get there from Varley?
    My first choice for halls will be Falmer, as by looking at pictures of Varley some of the halls dont look too appealing (Balcombe, Chaiiley and Ditchling) and knowing my luck Id end up there. If you put internet access down would I def not get the ones I mentioned above? As If I apply to Varley I really want internet access.
    Do you know much about the halls at Falmer?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    haha I was in chalvington 14 last year, room 3. spent a lot of time in your flat though, did you get one of the sweet disabled rooms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkx91)
    Hi,
    I'll be at Falmer, is it far to get there from Varley?
    My first choice for halls will be Falmer, as by looking at pictures of Varley some of the halls dont look too appealing (Balcombe, Chaiiley and Ditchling) and knowing my luck Id end up there. If you put internet access down would I def not get the ones I mentioned above? As If I apply to Varley I really want internet access.
    Do you know much about the halls at Falmer?
    Thanks
    Falmers not too far, and theres a free mini bus that goes from falmer to varley up until about 7/8pm weekdays.

When you apply for halls just put that you want to be in the ones with internet, there is two seperate choices.. doesnt seem to really effect where you end up though. me and the majority of my friends didnt get their first choice. worked out for the best though, varley is sweet.

the halls at falmer are supposed to be pretty good. I've only visited paddock fields, but its miiiiles away from brighton town centre so depends if that bothers you really.

If you were thinking about it I would definitly avoid phoenix halls, spent a lot of time there last yearand they are really quite *****. not allowed to make any noise because of neighbours and parties get shut down pretty much instantly.

ReputationRep:
    Falmers not too far, and theres a free mini bus that goes from falmer to varley up until about 7/8pm weekdays.

When you apply for halls just put that you want to be in the ones with internet, there is two seperate choices.. doesnt seem to really effect where you end up though. me and the majority of my friends didnt get their first choice. worked out for the best though, varley is sweet.

the halls at falmer are supposed to be pretty good. I've only visited paddock fields, but its miiiiles away from brighton town centre so depends if that bothers you really.

If you were thinking about it I would definitly avoid phoenix halls, spent a lot of time there last yearand they are really quite *****. not allowed to make any noise because of neighbours and parties get shut down pretty much instantly.

Thanks for that!
    Ahh, I knew there'd be a catch as Phoenix halls looked too good to be true (spacious, modern, close to sea...)

The distance doesn't bother me as I'd just get around on buses lol, but would prefer to be as close to campus as possible (so I can have a bit of a lie in :p: )

Are all of the Varley ones with internet nice? As I can't tell too much from looking at pictures, but at the moment Falmer are my fave Plus, they look sooo pretty :o:

Ive heard Varley have a lot of parties, is that true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkx91)
    Thanks for that!
    Ahh, I knew there'd be a catch as Phoenix halls looked too good to be true (spacious, modern, close to sea...)

The distance doesn't bother me as I'd just get around on buses lol, but would prefer to be as close to campus as possible (so I can have a bit of a lie in :p: )

Are all of the Varley ones with internet nice? As I can't tell too much from looking at pictures, but at the moment Falmer are my fave Plus, they look sooo pretty :o:

Ive heard Varley have a lot of parties, is that true?
    Varley has looooads of parties and really awesome security who just don't care unless it's really keeping people up. I love my flat, by far the nicest imo, but I am biassed.

ReputationRep:
    Varley has looooads of parties and really awesome security who just don't care unless it's really keeping people up. I love my flat, by far the nicest imo, but I am biassed.
    is there still a hole in the wardrobe door in room 4? if so I kinda did that

ReputationRep:
    is there still a hole in the wardrobe door in room 4? if so I kinda did that
    I shall go and ask Ryan, he's my next door neighbour. I didn't get a disabled room but I prefer my smaller room as it's much warmer (after smuggling in a blow heater anyway)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to living in varley halls 12 chalvington but I'm studying at falmer. how far are varley halls from that campus and also from the beach and town?

ReputationRep:
    so if I'm studying accounting and will be at mouslecoomb campus, is it not a trouble to get to and from varley, i liked the look of and sound of the halls there, nice nightlife etc

ReputationRep:
    hi I am going into Moulsecoomb halls but i really want to live in phoenix becasue its next to grand parade, where i will be studying.

WOULD ANYONE LIKE TO LIVE IN MOULSECOOMB AND SWAP ME THEIR PHOENIX??

Thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.