Do you have to have a philosophy a level to carry it on at university? Watch

natalieisrevising
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i am in my first year at college but i am going to take it up next year to get an as level. i was just wondering if i could then carry it on at degree level?
FootPrints
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most universities don't require it to be taken at A level
OrmondDrone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can if you want but A-level philosophy is not a requirement for taking it at degree level (possibly because most schools don't offer it)
~Ollie~
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nope you don't need it - some universities even prefer you not to have it so you are coming at the subject with fresh eyes when you start the degree, as the style of the course is often quite different to A-level. I'm currently doing philosophy (along with other things) at undergraduate without having studied it before.
O.L.G
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did it, and I don't think I would have applied for philosophy if I hadn't. AS isn't that tough, but it exposes you to loads of philosophers and texts you can read on the side, which got me interested in it as a subject at uni.

I'd say even if the qualification itself isn't asked for at most unis (and it isn't), you should go for it. Also, discovering you hate philosophy now and dropping an AS is WAY better than discovering you hate it at as an undergrad!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed