Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I need to decide what to do next year. This year, for AS I'm doing English, Spanish, Psychology and Drama. I know I definitely want to carry Drama over next year because I feel like it's something I'm quite likely to want to do at uni. But I'm stuck at what to drop. I love psychology, and can't wait to know more about it, especially at A2, but I think it's the least likely that I'll want to do a degree in. English is hard work, but it's always been my best subject, so I'd like to carry it through.

And Spanish... I lived in Spain for a large portion of my life and just moved back to England for A levels. I don't speak fluent, perfect Spanish, but the way it's taught is insufferable. It drives me insane, it's all just to pass the exam, when I want to learn to speak the language! So with fluency as my main goal in Spanish, I was wondering if I should drop it. However, that means I wouldn't be able to to a degree in it, and would miss out on the year abroad there. I personally don't think I can stand another year of the way they're teaching me Spanish! But I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity if my Spanish would benefit from doing it at uni. I have considered doing Spanish A level as an external candidate, and attempt it on my own, but I have no idea how I would go about that!!

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about Psychology and Spanish, but i would definitely keep English, because it will help you with coursework. you have to decide whether you can carry on with a subject you dont particularly like.

ReputationRep:
    I really think it's a straight choice between English and Spanish.

It really depends on how serious you are about spending a year abroad there.

To be honest, I think you should continue English and maybe learn Spanish outside of school, say get one of those CD things or get a tutor. I'm sure you could still do a Spanish year abroad if you knew the language very well. If you can't do Spanish without the A Level, my baddd.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    oh and by the way you actually need English for most universities to study drama...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you shouldn't drop the spanish to me.. and English can be mighty important in the future.

Drop Psychology

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do all of them?

ReputationRep:
    Englisha and drama compliment each other as subjects....psychology is very gd at A2, so i recommend you drop spanish. if u really love spanish you could always study it later

ReputationRep:
    Most unis I know of let you take Spanish ab-initio, so you could do a joint honours with Spanish and Drama, or apply for an Erasmus exchange, very easily with AS Spanish.

(The only exception I can think of is UCL, which doesn't offer Drama anyway, so you're fine there. )

I also do a language outside of school, in a similar-ish position to the one you described (I'm a sort-of native speaker). It's not too hard, in terms of the workload, but it still cuts into your spare time a fair bit, hence why I'm fairly drained of motivation the rest of the time. :p:

Just drop Spanish. The three you have left seem like a good combination for Drama, if that's what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    Why don't you do all of them?
    I was thinking the same thing? Does your school not allow you to take 4 A Levels? And if so, why the bloody hell not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smashing)
    I was thinking the same thing? Does your school not allow you to take 4 A Levels? And if so, why the bloody hell not?
    Maybe the OP doesn't want to take 4 a levels. 3 a levels are killing me so I wouldn't want to know the wrath of 4 at once. :p:

Based on what you've said I would say that Spanish doesn't sound like fun for you right now and as some others have suggested, ab initio is an option at some unis for spanish. I would say you could pick the a levels which fill at least 2 of the following criteria (this is how I picked mine): whether you like it, whether you need it for uni, whether you are good at it. Just for the record if you don't like it you will find it tough at A2!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.