Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I read a sample halls contract (because I'd probably be staying in halls) and I'd wondered on what the general policy was for friends staying over at your accommodation (who don't attend the university)?

Obviously, they wouldn't be living there, just I dunno, I'm thinking hypothetically here, so say, once a week or something?

Or less/more frequent... I just don't really understand it
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like to know more about this, I'm completely lost over it.

From what I've heard they don't mind too much if it's not practically a houseful every week? But I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Normally you have to sign them in...to be all official etc

But it really doesn't matter...the accommodation staff never check rooms for guest...well they didn't in my halls.

ReputationRep:
    That's good to know
    But it's definitely something that's not at all explained or defined, so it's great to get some input, thanks!

Any more information is much appreciated also!

Read the whole sample contract, there's nothing in there about guests at all.

ReputationRep:
    Well in theory guests are generally allowed a certain number of nights a week, and only one per student and you're meant to sign them in.

In practise, so long as they aren't basically living there (and even then I'm not sure if it would matter) no-one cares.

ReputationRep:
    It's likely there will be a policy somewhere, saying no more than 2 nights per week. It's mega unlikely though they will ever ever check or ever know that anyone is staying over. If it's just the odd friend once every few weeks that stays the weekend, you don't need to worry. The problems will come when your entire group from back home decends upon you and you start having parties until the early hours.

It's one of them things you just need to be sensible with and there will be no problems at all.

(I speak not from experience of living in halls, but of going and visiting my friends who DO live in halls)

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni I suppose. Like, for example, at my uni you're allowed guests for a maximum of three nights in any four weeks and you're supposed to sign them in to inform the accommodation people that they're staying. Saying that, no-one has ever checked and I've had friends staying and have never signed them in.

It should be made clearer really, especially as it's probably a common occurance to want to have someone to stay. But in a lot of cases, nobody checks so would know who you have staying and for how long.

ReputationRep:
    There's really no need to tell anyone.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to tell anyone, just dont annoy your flat mates. The accommodation is only made to accommodate a set amount of people, so dont have friends to stay TOO often. Once a fortnight for 2 days at a time is pretty much acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    In my halls you sign them in at reception and they get a guest pass - I think there's a limit on how many days they can stay which is probably around 5 days? And you can have 2 guests at a time... Then they just have to return the guest passes at the end of their stay and sign back out. Obviously it'll vary in different halls though.

ReputationRep:
    In my halls people just come and go. As long as you have a key, your friend can stay pretty much whenever with no-one knowing.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni and the type of accommodation you're in. Where I am, I'm in pretty much a completely cut off flat, as in there are no doormen/ security and hence no way to sign people in or check up on who's stayed how many nights or whatever. People just come and go when they feel like as if it was my own place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbytotherescue)
    I read a sample halls contract (because I'd probably be staying in halls) and I'd wondered on what the general policy was for friends staying over at your accommodation (who don't attend the university)?

Obviously, they wouldn't be living there, just I dunno, I'm thinking hypothetically here, so say, once a week or something?

Thanks
    You dont have to tell anybody. When my sister was at Uni i would take a few trip over the years for a weekend and she didnt have to make it offical by telling anybody - i met all her flatmates and we went out etc..

So idont think you would have a problem

ReputationRep:
    they like you to sign in overnight guests in case of fire etc and some places threaten you with a fine if you dont, but honestly nowhere gives a **** as long as your friends arent being idiots

ReputationRep:
    The halls I'm in you aren't supposed to have guests after midnight, presumably because there isn't a main entrance to the buildign to sign them in at (reception is elsewhere). But no-one cares and plenty of people have visitors or stay in other peoples flat. If you are quiet enough not to have security called on you no-one cares.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It does depend on the halls.

My halls were easy, no-one really cared, people just came and went (although they'd probably have something to say if someone other than the student was living there), but with my boyfriend, I had to be signed in every time, and signed out, and could only stay X amount of nights a week (However, he had a car, so I could slip past if I wanted to!).

ReputationRep:
    Another little point: some halls of residence, mainly the traditional ones, will have a room or small flat set aside for guest accommodation. It's a bit of an anachronism in this day and age, but it would at least provide a visitor with a proper bed.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Usually they expect you to sign in guests so they know how many people are staying in case of a fire. Really depends on how strict the university is though, some can be very, others not at all. Generally a good idea to inform your flatmates though TBH, at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbytotherescue)

Thanks
    I know at my uni they generally operate 'what they don't know doesn't hurt them' policy; as in, the uni asks that you register all guests and they can stay up to two nights, but tbh, if my girlfriend or a mate moved in, no-one would notice.

ReputationRep:
    You're supposed to register guests, but I don't know anyone who ever has (both at Brunel and Cambs). No-one actually cares.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.