Turn on thread page Beta

when should i start revising for my AS exams? watch

ReputationRep:
    i mean its february and my exams start may/june time .. and i want to do well in my exams.. any ideas?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Now! Trust me A levels are ALOT of work. Begin now and you'll manage better with the stress that comes in the final month

ReputationRep:
    If they start in May, revise in March...

ReputationRep:
    now and thats a serious answer, especially if you're taking an exam on things you learnt september/october time. i've already started putting together little notebooks with all the vitals for each subject, a few lists of things to go over stuck on my wall, answering a few past paper/specimen questions each week. you dont have to start cramming yet, but a bit of basic revision each week will help

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting as soon as my two English courseworks are out of the way. So next month.

ReputationRep:
    Now, and build up gradually - better to be well prepared and not have to do resits in your a2 year

ReputationRep:
    Jeez Louise not now it's bloody February. Just cram last minute like everyone else does.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT! You'd be mad to start now! Oh, bloody hell. Until i came on this site, i've never realized how much one should actualy revise. I was thinking more along the lines of 3-2 weeks before. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Start doing bits and pieces now, and then you can keep going over it as it gets closer to the time. For example, I've made my Philosophy and Ethics revision notes as I completed each section of the course, going along - already embedding it into my memory, so it's within easy reach when I get to my exam in June.

That having been said, if it's a subject you don't have too much to remember for, don't stress yourself too much now. English Lit, for instance - as long as you've read a large number of relevant books, and do practice papers every so often, there isn't really much more that you can do. :dontknow:

(Though, if I'm missing something crucial there, might explain why I missed my target grade last year. :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Not the day before

I'd work out how much you need to do and try and spread it out a bit. I know some people in subjects like maths are starting to do 1/2 past papers a week, it means they won't have to cram and it builds it up steadily. I was going to start Feb half term but I'll probably start March in reality, as I know I won't focus this far in advanced :o: Just do whatever feels best for you, although cramming rarely works.

ReputationRep:
    start now and try to stay ahead of the game.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how smart you are and what subjects you're taking. If it's a learny type subject like bio for example, then if you have an excellent memory then a few weeks will do you, and if your memory is rubbish then best to start now. It's all about weighing up how good you are with how hard the subject is

ReputationRep:
    I think if you want to do well, you should start revision as soon as possible.

Even now, you're going to have started forgetting what you learnt in September. If you start revising it now, you'll be able to go over it several times before June and make sure you really know and understand it.

(I wish I took my own advice.)

ReputationRep:
    erm Feb half term / Easter ish not like in June like me thats stupid !!!

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    Some people really need telling when to breath dont they?
    How is the tsr forum going to know how much you already know/how well you revise/your gaps in your knowledge/how much revision you do a week?

ReputationRep:
    I'm attempting to start now, although probably it will be next week at the earliest as I have epic amounts of coursework due in on monday (well not really epic amounts but i get distracted easily so they're taking rather a long time)
    even if you don't start revising as such right now, it's probably a good idea to start preparing, ie. making sure you don't have notes missing, keeping notes as neat and ordered as possible, doing any set homework tasks thoroughly and a bit extra research if you have a bit of time of course if you are a really good student you will have been doing all this since september ... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A.s.a.p Soo many of my friends revised last minute, they got U's and E's :/

ReputationRep:
    My strategy has always been the same. Write notes as soon as possible after you get them, then you don't need to look back over them until ~5 weeks before the exams (I'd start the proper "hard core" revision then). You don't need to revise now to be honest, just relax a bit for a few weeks, after Jan exams I think it's well deserved. If you start working now, you risk burning out and becoming ill (which is never good close to exams).

I speak from far too much experience of exams and revision. I'm doing my finals this year and Im not starting revision until Easter.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting now because the Jan exams gave me a kick up the arse. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahgb)
    Depends how smart you are and what subjects you're taking. If it's a learny type subject like bio for example, then if you have an excellent memory then a few weeks will do you, and if your memory is rubbish then best to start now. It's all about weighing up how good you are with how hard the subject is
    yeah im doing biology, english literature (dont have a clue why), geography and maths! i had a biology and maths exam in january and only did about 3 weeks of revision, but i learnt everything i needed to know

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.